Must Watch: Six part video on Social Anxiety Disorder - Page 8 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #141 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Admiring beards from afar

My Mood: Lurking
That was the video I stumbled across one day this year that made me realise that I actually had a disorder and wasn't just naturally weird.

Quiet people have the loudest minds

I just gotta get out of this prison cell
Some day I'm gonna be free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Tormented Artist

LOL i've watched this before><

Am I really all the things that are outside of me?
post #143 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 PM
SAS Member

Thanks for posting.

post #144 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 AM
SAS Member

A2X

I agree, I had the same thing happen to me. They took my money, I returned the product unopened, told me I could not return product but have kept my money. THEY ARE CHARLATANS AND THIEVES>
post #145 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbloggs02 View Post
The outside of the outsiders.. My family have that chemical imbalance though noone openly talks about it unless I ask. One of my uncles killed himself because of it and my mother used to have visions of these intangible things. Doesn't it feel slightly I don't know, the wrong point of view to be hearing someone describe themselves this way? I don't feel it possible to grasp the world as they do, to say without outright certainty this is the way I go with the outsider inside me. Something tells me the video is everything I would say if I were an actor playing the part of a socially anxious person but untrue somewhere. Impersonal, disassociated. I don't think living yourself is something turned on at a prompt, it's impossible yet, they have that assurance they do the prompt honor. I'd be careful watching this, it misses something and it seems almost too useful, too understanding, too empathetic.
Yeah I thought it sort of seemed that way too. I assume it's because its aimed at non-socially anxious people. Plus the interviewees are probably guided as to what they say and how they say it.

Still, it was pretty interesting. Thanks for posting.
post #146 of 218 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 PM
lost/broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprocrastinator View Post
Exactly what I was thinking! I wanted to talk to my mom about this, but like you, I didn't want her to feel sorry for me either or even feel ashamed of me. I never bring friends home but I make up little excuses, and we never dwell on that topic. She thinks I'm just very shy but I've always felt that it was more than that, but I didn't know what. I get very depressed in school because I am not able to deal with new social situations and I feel like I can just hear people criticizing me though they're not, and so on. It's a terrible feeling, but what is also terrible was that I had to lie to everyone to hide the fact that I have SA.

Anyways, wow.. SAS forum is awesome
perfect description of my life/what i've been feeling

♡ we accept the love we think we deserve ♡
post #147 of 218 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM
SAS Member

I recently read a book that helped me a lot with my depression. I think the main point of it was really helpful. That the sufferer should first and foremost seek help and then take an active approach to make sure that they are healing along with finding a partner to help them on their journey. Also, it kind of opened my eyes to the different foods that can really worsen people's depression because of the different chemicals in the foods and how they can affect you. I know it doesn't seem like it but what I've discovered is that the little things all add up and can have a big impact on the way you feel. Feel better! The name of the book was 'you can cure your depression' by the way.
post #148 of 218 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTKsaucex View Post
Its a 6 part film, should auto play them all. Hope this helps in some way or another...

Links to all six parts in case the auto play doesn't work:
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dsj_mwVlLc
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPbg0oOYJiQ
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yi2H88qC7w
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob5JAhRj734
5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiH5TxdA76w
6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcdf-ai7HPE
Here is the same film in much better quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmEJEfy5f50
post #149 of 218 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 AM
SAS Member

Thanks..Im going to have a look at these. Sounds like they could be helpful.
post #150 of 218 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 PM
SAS Member

Great video, I found it very interesting and it was so comforting to hear things that I thought were just me.

When I was five I stopped speaking at school. My teacher said I was being very naughty and would pull me to the front of the classroom and make everyone look at me. The other children would laugh. I used to keep my hair long and hide behind it as a young child, I would rock myself when everyone stared at me and the teacher was yelling asking if I was stupid. That was way back in 1997 but it feels just like yesterday and the emotions are so strong sometimes.
post #151 of 218 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM
SAS Member

I watched this and took a lot from it. I can definitely relate to some of the things mentioned in the video on a really close level. Thanks for sharing!
post #152 of 218 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 PM
NOTHING MATTERS

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbarrow View Post
the documentary is a sob story. it tells the viewer to feel sorry for themselves and doesn't really punish them as it should. the best documentary is one that doesn't make excuses for its sufferers and doesn't feed into their self-pity. We need to experience discomfort, pain and humiliation, not fake acceptance, if we're to improve lives.
Unfortunately, most humans are brainwashed into thinking that other humans feeling like them showed in a "horror story " type way makes their story so true and the audience identifies, now hey are feeling better about themselves that somebody else is suffering, and they get a temporary relief from theirs because they feel that they are not alone, and now they have concrete proof to show to their friends and family to prove that it is a condition that they have. Whereas this is just another label people willingly take upon themselves so that they can be categorized into a certain group and just accept what it is told to them and how they can be " corrected" whereas there is NOTHING WRONG about them to be begin with. They are just different, and they don' t accept that, they are different, and nobody accepts them as they are because of that. They don't have to fit in and defend, there is nothing to defend. I find different beautiful.
post #153 of 218 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Permanently Banned

SA is not a disease. It's all in the head.
post #154 of 218 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
I don't have SA

Thanks for sharing

thanks for the video
post #155 of 218 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Unique

Great input and helpfull video I've found out.

Nice work done. Thank you.

"Wanting to be someone else is waste of the person you are."

post #156 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:05 PM
SAS Member

Thank you so much for the videos.. What they talk about is 100% accurate, im kinda shocked lol..
post #157 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander View Post
That was the video I stumbled across one day this year that made me realise that I actually had a disorder and wasn't just naturally weird.
Rofl yea, I thought I was just a weird person my entire life, with some panic attacks here and there, but I never could figure out exactly what was wrong with me, I know now its a disorder, wow a relief, holy crap. And im guessing that my parents knew this, but never wanted to tell me.
post #158 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 10:58 AM
SAS Member

Having severe social fobia for almost 10 years now, I feel so sorry for the little girl. Such a young age and already experiencing all these crazy feelings Makes me sad.
post #159 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Lost INFP

I've seen this video a few times. I don't necessarily hate it, but I felt like it functions to make non-SA sufferers feel sorry for us even more. I thought it was screaming "self-pity" and "self-indulgence," however, I can't deny it can be educational to these non-SA sufferers as well. But for someone who's gotten past the self-indulgent phase, it disappointed me.
post #160 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi/Hola

My Mood: Doubtful
Quote:
Originally Posted by crs9683 View Post
SA is not a disease. It's all in the head.
Do you have SAD then?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page