Must Watch: Six part video on Social Anxiety Disorder - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:23 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy
Found a slightly better quality video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbJaDd042MA

how can i embedd this link ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
SAS Member

Thanks for posting this. I'm surprised I'd never stumbled upon it until now.
post #63 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Reposed in awesomeness...

I want to know how to switch off my amygdalae. I have an unfavourable fronatal lobe to amygdala ratio. I need stimulants to swithc on my frontal lobes now I must discover how to switch off my amygdalae...

I am currently reposed on a stratum of my own pure abstract awesomeness(cubed)...

Diphenidine and ethylphenidate FTW!

Social anxiety can bite my arse...

post #64 of 218 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM
SAS Member

This is brilliant, one of the best videos I have watched in some time.

"She dreamt she was a bulldozer, she dreamt she was alone in an empty field"
post #65 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny neurotic View Post
I want to know how to switch off my amygdalae. I have an unfavourable fronatal lobe to amygdala ratio. I need stimulants to swithc on my frontal lobes now I must discover how to switch off my amygdalae...
I found about this amygdala thing about 4 years ago, when searching for therapies for anxiety. U may wanna search on The Linden method. It hasn't worked for me, but to be honest, I didn;t gived it so much a serious try.

But i rememebered it's all about imagining it moving and it will happen. Good luck. Also torrents are your best friends if u wanna search the method, not just google.
post #66 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Reposed in awesomeness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeReloaded View Post
I found about this amygdala thing about 4 years ago, when searching for therapies for anxiety. U may wanna search on The Linden method. It hasn't worked for me, but to be honest, I didn;t gived it so much a serious try.

But i rememebered it's all about imagining it moving and it will happen. Good luck. Also torrents are your best friends if u wanna search the method, not just google.
Cool. Cheers. I will look into that. I am willing to give anything a try even if it seems a bit odd. This does seem a bit odd but I've watched enough Derren Brown to know that the mind is odd anyway. lol

I am currently reposed on a stratum of my own pure abstract awesomeness(cubed)...

Diphenidine and ethylphenidate FTW!

Social anxiety can bite my arse...
post #67 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 08:55 PM
SAS Member

thank u for posting the video,i dint know that social anxiety is type of disorder.seeing the video i seem to be getting confidence about over coming my social anxiety problem.thank u for creating such a site.
post #68 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:48 AM
INFJ

My Mood: Blah
Thank you so much for the video. I think this is the only documentary I've seen for Social Anxiety Disorder; sad really since it's the third most common disorder. Did anyone notice on the first part it showed a computer programmer who made a site called Social Anxiety Support? Was it this same site or was it just a coincidence that they have the same name?
post #69 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
SAS Member

I really liked hearing the psychologist talk about how she has SA. I really want to become a psychologist myself and I was worried that if i got help for SA, that would mean admitting to having a mental disorder and then I wouldn't be able to be a psychologist.
post #70 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
I clicked on this post by mistake...was trying to click on the haircut thread. Arg. I cant believe this is still out there. This was a long time ago. I participated in it. Feel like I just got punched in the stomach...lots of old feelings. Things are better now though. Made a lot of progress over the SA.
ChrisA,

Are you the "Chris" mentioned in part 1 of the video? If so, is this website the social anxiety website that you started (as the video mentioned)?

Lifetimer

"Shyness can be a serious problem when it is rooted in toxic shame." - John Bradshaw, toxic shame expert

Visit this thread link to find out the cause of SA for most of us and what to do about it: http://bit.ly/UeWprg
post #71 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:12 AM
SAS Member

Hi LifeTimer,
Yeah, thats me. Feels like it was a different person though. Yes. This is the site. Its been a long time since Ive actively participated though. It kind of got overwhelming at a point.
Hope all is going well.
Chris
post #72 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 AM
SAS Member

Thanks for posting this, it really had a emotional effect on me, because I could understand the pain of every person in the video. Exactly how I felt in middle school when the little girl didn't respond to her teachers. I thought I was the only one in school, like this too. I wish I found this website and these videos back in middle school, because the amount of pain it has caused me in grade school has still not left me. Those women who had social anxiety in the video and had husbands/boyfriends are lucky to have someone understand them for who tehy are.

When the psychologist said the median age of onset was "13 and there were a lot of shy anxious socially inhibited children who are labled as "model students" by their teachers", I could totally relate to that.
post #73 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:56 AM
SAS Member

I can also relate to the part where it says that people who migrate from a new country can have anxiety triggered by moving to a new environment. I know when I lived in India and went to school there I was not that worried but I was a shy kid, but when I came over here and over my course of elementary schools saw how different I felt, I just became more and more anxious.
post #74 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 AM
SAS Member

In part 2 of the video the guy said "We certainly know that it runs in families, so that people with first degree relatives - parents, as an example - that have the illness are more likely to get it than other people." Also, a mention was made in part 3 by ChrisA's mother ("ChrisA" is the SAS member here that was in the video) about several of their relatives having social anxiety. The guy in part 2 and Chris' mother in part 3 were trying to make the point that social anxiety is the result of genetics/heredity. Yes, I do agree with them that SA can be passed down from one generation to another, but I do not agree that the reason is because of "genetics". Now, is there a chance that genetics can be responsible for SA in some people? I suppose its a possibility, but I don't think genetics is responsible nearly as much as many people think.

I think in most cases of SA being passed down through families is basically because of learned behavior. In these families, from the time the children are born, they "learn" how to act & feel from their parents and other relatives. In the majority of cases, children basically have SA & toxic shame projected onto them. As anyone knows that has read my main thread (the link at the bottom of this post) I totally believe most cases of SA is the result of toxic shame. And I think it often becomes a "shame cycle" in families. There is a member here by the username of "lazy" who made a post in another thread concerning this toxic shame cycle. He made a very good point in his post when he said:

"Shame-infected Parents infect their own children, then their children grow up to become also shame-infected parents. This then creates the toxic shame cycle. It is also not limited within the family. There is an element of the self-fulfilling prophecy at work here when shame-based people interact with their peers."

Toxic shame is like an infection; it can spread through an entire family unit - not only parent & child, but aunts, uncles, cousins ... all relatives can spread it around each other (and for generations).

There are certainly other ways to get toxic shame other than through family members, but obviously the family is the biggest source of those that acquire toxic shame (though, as I said, it's not the only way to get it).

Lifetimer

"Shyness can be a serious problem when it is rooted in toxic shame." - John Bradshaw, toxic shame expert

Visit this thread link to find out the cause of SA for most of us and what to do about it: http://bit.ly/UeWprg
post #75 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM
SAS Member

In the video (part 2) it blamed "chemical imbalances" in the brain as the reason for some people's social anxiety. I - and many others as well - don't believe chemical imbalances cause SA. Instead, we believe it is the other way around. It is actually the SA that causes the chemical imbalances. Healing your toxic shame ... leads to curing your SA ... which leads to eliminating the "chemical imbalance". I just wanted to give my thought on that issue.

Also in part 2 it showed them waving in front of the faces of various infants that of "unfamiliar stimuli". Basically, they were waving small colorful toys hanging from strings in front of the infants. Some infants reacted adversely to the "unfamiliar stimuli" and the guy in the video claimed it was proof that the infants were born with a chemical imbalance that would affect them "for the rest of their lives". But you know what? We are not all exactly the same and some people may be a little more sensitive than others - which of course includes infants. Just because some infants have a negative reaction to unfamilar things being waved in front of their face doesn't mean they have a chemical imbalance that dooms them for the rest of their life. As someone pointed out in my main thread, if someone is "hyper-sensitivitive" then it can make it a bit easier for such a person to acquire toxic shame than the average person.

However, what is just as important - possibly even more important - to realize is what I pointed out in my post above (post #75). In that post I talked about how, from basically the moment they were born, many children learn to have anxiety and fear from those around them - mainly their dysfunctional family. It could be that some - maybe even many - of the children in the study basically were infected with anxiety from their family. For all we know, many children in the study may very well had families that lived daily with anxiety and tension. In essence, it could be that all that was available for the infants to learn from was toxic shame. If, from the moment you were born, you were exposed to anxiety, fear, and other negative traits, then wouldn't you be just as "jumpy" as those infants were in the video?

Lifetimer

post #76 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:02 PM
SAS Member

This is my 3rd and final review post of the video (my other 2 posts are above).

The last thing I want mention is what the psychologist said in part 2. She said:

"Many people have a situation in which they were humiliated, crticized, rejected, socially evaluated poorly... and they felt a loss of control - they felt embarrassed. And there was a lot of shame that they experienced in that moment. And then what happens is they become more fearful in those situations, and so more avoidance takes place or just negative perceptions of situations like this. And so they start to develop a conditioned response to their fear."

I think that out of everything that was said in the entire 6 part video, her statement is the closest to the truth for most SA people. The key word in her statement is the word "shame". Shame - specifically "toxic" shame - is, in my firm opinion, the real culprit in most cases of SA (by "most" I mean at least 51% or more). However, I do have 2 issues with her statement:

1. Her statement is very simplified and doesn't explain the entire shame process in a person (see my main thread for a better explanation of how shame affects a person).

2. Her statement almost makes it sound as if one specific embarrassing event snowballs into social anxiety. That is very possible, but I think it happens more often by repeated embarrassing and/or negative events - through one or several sources (creating toxic shame). But even if one negative event is the starting point, once it begins snowballing, then it becomes toxic shame.

I want to sum up by saying that, though I don’t think every case of SA is caused by toxic shame, I do definitely believe that the majority of SA cases (meaning at least 51% or more) are a result of toxic shame. If anyone is interested in learning more about this “soul-murdering” condition as John Bradshaw calls it and how I overcame my SA / TS, then visit my main thread.

Lifetimer

post #77 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:37 PM
SAS Member

Thanks for the video. It's very compelling and encouraging.
post #78 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 AM
SAS Member

LifeTimer,

I agree with your belief that the main reason for SA is not genetics. I think it was easier for my Mom to blame it on genetics than consider that the way she raised me could have been partially responsible. I dont blame her and it was not beneficial to my recovery to try to figure out why this happened to me. I guess I just dont want people saying that its just genetics, so there is nothing I can do.
As far as the documentary 'blaming chemical imbalances', you may also want to consider how the documentary was made. It was sponsored by Freedom From Fear, but I believe they got the money to do it from the makers of Paxil.
I was able to overcome SA primarily through self help books about cbt. I still had some issues, so I decided to get on Paxil and did that for one year. The medication was very helpful, but I believe that my cbt skills were necessary and enabled me to get off the meds successfully. Meds are a great thing, especially for those with more severe cases of SA. I just wish people would go to the meds as a last resort and always include cbt as part of the process.

Chris
post #79 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Going to war

I was also a quiet kid, but i was on Ritalin i never talked... i wonder if cutting out the amygdala would cure are problems lol,
post #80 of 218 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
I agree with your belief that the main reason for SA is not genetics. I think it was easier for my Mom to blame it on genetics than consider that the way she raised me could have been partially responsible. I dont blame her and it was not beneficial to my recovery to try to figure out why this happened to me.
Chris, the last sentence in your above quote is a mistake a lot of people make. Many people believe, as apparently you do, that it is "not beneficial to my recovery to try to figure out why this happened to me". Understanding how one has come to acquire SA is actually the first step to recovery. It is a crucial step. I go into great detail in some of my posts in my main thread of why it is so important (I'm trying to keep this post from being too large and that is why I won't go into a long explanation here). Having said that, I will agree it is possible to improve over one's SA without looking into the cause of it. However, that way is doing it the hard way. It can take much longer - 3, 4, or 5 years or longer - to eliminate one's SA (that is IF someone is able to eliminate it in that fashion). And sometimes, trying to do it that way doesn't eliminate it at all. Now of course I am not including medications in this discussion. Medications can quickly suppress SA but not cure it, and thus the drugs can make it appear one has had great progress over their SA when instead it has only suppressed it.

I'm certainly glad you were able to overcome your SA (I'm assuming you are completely over it). It looks to me that through sheer hard work and determination you were able to overcome it. It is my opinion that if you had a full understanding at the time of what caused it ... understood how toxic shame was involved ... did the inner work that such people as John Bradshaw, Dr. Robert Glover, and others advocate ... and then began to put into practice what you learned by interacting with others bit by bit, then I believe you could have recovered faster than you did. And you could have done it all without drugs (medication). That is my belief.

Quote:
As far as the documentary 'blaming chemical imbalances', you may also want to consider how the documentary was made. It was sponsored by Freedom From Fear, but I believe they got the money to do it from the makers of Paxil.
Yes, it does seem to me that, in the end, everything can be traced back to money. lol.

Quote:
I was able to overcome SA primarily through self help books about cbt. I still had some issues, so I decided to get on Paxil and did that for one year. The medication was very helpful, but I believe that my cbt skills were necessary and enabled me to get off the meds successfully. Meds are a great thing, especially for those with more severe cases of SA. I just wish people would go to the meds as a last resort and always include cbt as part of the process.
I have to admit that I had never tried taking medications for my SA (back when I had SA. I don't have SA anymore). But from everything I have read about SA medications, it seems the medications just suppress SA instead of curing it. I've heard some people say it just "dulls the senses". However, I HAVE tried cbt and, to be frank, it did not cure my SA. I will say that it did temporarily make me feel better. But within a short time period my SA came back as it was before. The problem with cbt is that it did not address my core problem; it only tried to work on the symptoms. That is why I only temporarily felt better from it. It wasn't until I learned about toxic shame - and then healed my toxic shame - that I cured my SA. And it didn't involve taking drugs of any kind. Instead, it was all about solving the core issue of my problem.

And so, in regards to cbt, I am not a big fan of it. I know it helps some people, but it seems that, from what I have seen with SA, that in more people than not, it either didn't help them at all or it only temporarily helped them (as it was the case for me). But I do think there is benefit with any therapy, and thus cbt has apparently helped you. And I am glad you have gotten better over SA. I just think that for most people it is best to work on the actual core issue that is causing there SA than it is to work on the symptoms (as cbt tends to focus on). But if you are able to make something work for you to help you get better, then of course that is a great thing.

Lifetimer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page