Must Watch: Six part video on Social Anxiety Disorder - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 218 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Lightbulb

Must Watch: Six part video on Social Anxiety Disorder

Its a 6 part film, should auto play them all. Hope this helps in some way or another...

Links to all six parts in case the auto play doesn't work:
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dsj_mwVlLc
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPbg0oOYJiQ
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yi2H88qC7w
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob5JAhRj734
5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiH5TxdA76w
6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcdf-ai7HPE

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel. Tear up the book and write your own damn rules. Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got, and the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

Hello again, to all my friends, together we can play some rock 'n' roll

http://xalexisflloydx.deviantart.com/

https://www.facebook.com/chris.lloyd.336717

Sorry for any previous and future madness on this forum. Bi Polar is a ****** sometimes =/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 218 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
SAS Member

I remember watching this before and I watched it again. Thanks for posting; it made me feel better seeing actual people who suffer from this.
post #3 of 218 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:50 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTKsaucex View Post

Its a 6 part film, should auto play them all. Hope this helps in some way or another...
Thank you for posting this, I am glad that there is more information being given to help those of us who need to see this, it made me feel better and I was glad to see someone who suffered with SAD actually getting up and doing a presentation, I hope to do the same in time.

post #4 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:17 PM
SAS Member

This is great. Thanks for posting.
post #5 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 PM
SAS Member

The outside of the outsiders.. My family have that chemical imbalance though noone openly talks about it unless I ask. One of my uncles killed himself because of it and my mother used to have visions of these intangible things. Doesn't it feel slightly I don't know, the wrong point of view to be hearing someone describe themselves this way? I don't feel it possible to grasp the world as they do, to say without outright certainty this is the way I go with the outsider inside me. Something tells me the video is everything I would say if I were an actor playing the part of a socially anxious person but untrue somewhere. Impersonal, disassociated. I don't think living yourself is something turned on at a prompt, it's impossible yet, they have that assurance they do the prompt honor. I'd be careful watching this, it misses something and it seems almost too useful, too understanding, too empathetic.

"I am looking for a true human being" - Diogenes of Sinope

"It was love that brought them back to life: the heart of one held inexhaustible sources of life for the heart of the other." - Dostoevsky
post #6 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Avernus

My Mood: Dead
I think I found this when I first joined from your link. I had just started considering the fact that I had SA. Yes, a month ago it actually occurred to me to consider the reality of my situation. I was in such a weird denial; it was obvious. I knew I felt it and I knew something had been seriously wrong my entire life. And yet, whenever my therapist brought it up I was so defensive and hostile to the idea.

Yes, this was a good start to my beginning search on everything I could find out about SA.

And, while with passion she repeats her call,
The vi'lets from her lap, and lillies fall:
She misses 'em, poor heart! and makes new moan;
Her lillies, ah! are lost, her vi'lets gone.

- Ovid, Metamorphoses
post #7 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:53 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Thanks for sharing this!

I'm sticky-ing the thread so that it's always up at the top of the forum.

I also slightly changed the title. I hope you don't mind.
post #8 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:11 PM
SAS Member

That's a great way to show the basics of SA for someone who dont know much about it.
post #9 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:46 PM
SAS Member

Thank-you for posting this, it was great to see that recovery is possible, and that even Donny Osmond, how seems extremely confident and sure of himself, suffered from it! It definitely helps to know we're not alone. Thanks again!
post #10 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:05 AM
SAS Member

I enjoyed the video and I thought some of the information was useful. I also thought the accounts were very honest and I don't understand the suspicion that these people were actors. I don't see what about them would warrant that, but everyone has their POV.

Anyway, the woman doing presentations on that video really struck a cord with me because she sounded *exactly* like myself.

And I actually liked the line, "I feel like the outsider of outsiders" (not sure if that was the exact quote...). That felt like a very accurate statement because many times when you are an "outsider" in the typical sense you are simply different from others. Yet, with SA, sometimes you can be similar to others and yet you don't fit in. When you have SA, you have a sense that you could belong and yet something that feels out of your control is keeping you from belonging so that adds another level of outside-ness (if you will), so I really enjoyed that statement.

As for the advice, I do appreciate that they mentioned both medication and CBT because some programs will only highlight medication, which I have tried (and really do NOT recommend).
post #11 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:34 AM
SAS Member

Thanks for posting that.
post #12 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 AM
SAS Member

legit started tearing up when I saw the little girl with selective mutism. that is exactly what I had at her age and it was manifested in the same exact way. Although I don't have selective mutism and can talk to people, I still think way too much about what people think about me. Thanks for sharing.
post #13 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM
SPC
SAS Member

My Mood: Stressed
ill be trying to find ways to show friends this video without exposing my situation. thanks very much for sharing.

"We need compassion to help ourselves get started, and enlightened self-interest to get ourselves serious"

-Paul Collier
post #14 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:33 PM
SAS Member

This video made me cry.
post #15 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Thanks for sharing this!

I'm sticky-ing the thread so that it's always up at the top of the forum.

I also slightly changed the title. I hope you don't mind.
Just noticed. And yeah no probs its all meant to help and show others there are people genuinely wanting to help battle this disorder.

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel. Tear up the book and write your own damn rules. Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got, and the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

Hello again, to all my friends, together we can play some rock 'n' roll

http://xalexisflloydx.deviantart.com/

https://www.facebook.com/chris.lloyd.336717

Sorry for any previous and future madness on this forum. Bi Polar is a ****** sometimes =/
post #16 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:39 PM
SAS Member

this is good but I feel like people who don't have SAD will either not take this video seriously or they'll think its bull****
post #17 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Thanks for posting. This vid was very informative and everything that woman described about having SA (procrastinating and prolonging things just to avoid going to work and then feeling like crap on the way to work, etc.) pretty much is the same for me. Especially when I was in college. The only time when I didn't have massive anxiety was when I was on drugs. This vid made my day.
post #18 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:21 PM
SAS Member

This is really interesting. I'm new to the site as of yesterday. Sure I've always felt "different" but I do not know if I have SA. Yesterday I thought maybe I did. Today after reading more and taking surveys I thought no, definitely not. But within 4 minutes of this video I'm like "OMG that is so me."

Still I have my doubts. I don't get panic attacks when I'm out in public. I don't care if people see me do things unless it's something truly embarrassing.

Last edited by consistentlyinconsistent; 05-28-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: what I had could've been written better
post #19 of 218 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
SAS Member

I really didn't think I was going to watch the whole video, but I did, about an hour.

It made me really feel connected to these people, and to watch them slowly overcome something so painful and so terrible, it made me feel like I had a bit of a chance. :] Really, thanks for posting.
post #20 of 218 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Spectacular Member

Ugh so many ignorant people on youtube to educate, so little patience.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page