Mouth breathing in childhood has ruined my whole life - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Mouth breathing in childhood has ruined my whole life

It may sound funny to you the first time you read the thread, but it's the only reason I've been depressed for years. I have a serious problem that makes me think of suicide.

When I was like 11-12, I was a decent looking kid. I had a great jaw/chin, cheekboones, straight teeth. I could breathe through my nose by default. But one day nasal polyps and deviated septum formed in my nose. After that day, I could never breathe through my nose and I didn't know why at that time. As I got older, I realized that the only reason I'm ugly was mouth breathing. This **** literally made my face deformed.

For those who don't know, chronic mouth breathing causes extremely crooked teeth, recessed jaw/chin, weak cheekbones, tired eyes, ADHD, sleep apnea etc. I have all these features now. I'm literally deformed. There's nothing I can do about it. I can't afford any surgeries. I can't go outside because my looks gives me anxiety.

When I take a picture of my profile, I don't look like human. Like I'm being dead serious. I don't look like any human being. It hurts me so much. All of these problems I had could have been solved easily If I breathed through my nose. My stupid parents' negligence ruined my entire life and they never took me to the hospital or cared about me. Seriously I don't wanna live like this.

I could've been a normal-looking person If I had breathed through my nose, but no, I was forced to mouth breathe. As a result, I lived an empty worthless life. I just wanted to get off my chest, it's all real. These thoughts never leave me. I can't sleep, eat, go out for two years because of these thoughts. I have no social life, no job, no money, no single friend. Being ugly is so bad that it takes away all the enthusiasm of a person. I hope my stupid parents will be happy when I blow my brain out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Don
Fupa King

Language: English
Had to look this up. Honestly didn't know mouth breathing could have effects like you mentioned. Need to look into it more.
Isn't it strange how one seemingly small detail in your life can cause so much misery and disrupt so much in your life like a butterfly effect? I hope you find healing from this, and the means to see that you are not ugly. You have worth apart from any appearance you might perceive in yourself.

Life's Wack
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Had to look this up. Honestly didn't know mouth breathing could have effects like you mentioned. Need to look into it more.
Isn't it strange how one seemingly small detail in your life can cause so much misery and disrupt so much in your life like a butterfly effect? I hope you find healing from this, and the means to see that you are not ugly. You have worth apart from any appearance you might perceive in yourself.
As long as I'm ugly in this life, I can't have a normal life. I totally gave up. I'm looking for ways to kill myself. I'm gonna die in my sleep sooner or later. I'm having a heart attack due to sleep apnea in my sleep and I'm 18. I'm tired of feeling fatigued every day. As you said, it's not fair that a small problem affects an entire life. No people deserve it. I didn't deserve it too. Natural selection did its job again and completely eliminated me from this world.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:39 AM
untitled document

Language: None
The fact that you say you haven't had the original problem fixed because of cost suggests that you're American. But setting aside for the moment the cosmetic issues that came later, the inability to breathe through your nose is clearly a vital medical issue which would be fully covered by medicaid without your paying a cent. If you make too much money to qualify for medicaid, heck, quit your job so that you can qualify (though you might not need to, consult a social worker first).

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:44 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Interesting. I've been a mouth breather my whole life so now I'm questioning some aspects of my appearance. I'm no model, but I think I look ok. I'm curious if my breathing might've changed things for me. I definitely have the ADD part! It's contributed to my anxiety too, but for me it was more getting made fun of for mouth breathing, and kids refusing to eat near me when I was younger (I tried my best, but I couldn't chew with my mouth fully closed because I also had to breathe.

I'm surprised that mouth breathing was able to make such a drastic difference for you when you were 12. I would think that would be more for babies and young children whose bones and facial structure is still developing. I would've thought by 12 you'd be in the clear from that. Interesting.

I wonder if it would be possible to start changing your perspective on your appearance? The more you say and write terrible things about yourself, the more you're implanting that into your brain as the only message you hear. Is there anything you like about your appearance? Or at least anything you don't hate? I also know that when I started working on other issues in my life I started liking my appearance a lot more. It wasn't that I had changed on the outside, but I became calmer on the inside and suddenly the appearance that I used to hate I was actually ok with.

I've also learned that blaming others and blaming the past doesn't get a person anywhere but frustrated. I spent years blaming everything and everyone else, and I was miserable. Once I started to focus on the little things that I could control and I could change, I started to feel better. It wasn't all at once, but at least I wasn't beating my head into the wall arguing with things I couldn't change.

You said you're 18, right? You have your whole adult life ahead of you, and you get to decide how you want to spend it. I hope you don't waste years of it in misery the way I did mine.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page