Meditation has cured me - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Meditation has cured me

I only recently discovered this marvelous activity, but it has completely reversed the negative trend my life had been taking up to that point. My mind was wracked with anxiety, and it was reaching its breaking point with exhaustion. I didn't know how long my mental stability could hold out against my devastatingly negative attitude

Out of pure desperation I looked on the Internet for the techniques of meditation. At that moment I wasn't expecting much. I was skeptical to say the least because, first of all, I didn't buy into the religious aspect, and second, I had lost all faith in my own ability to save myself. My self-esteem was at an all-time-low; identity gone; in this sense I had lost touch with my own humanity

But even after the first session I felt incredible. I wouldn't say I had a religious experience, but there is definitely a spirituality about it that cannot be denied. In the silence; with nerves calmed; mind blank; the mind begins to induce a sort of high. After I felt relaxed, I began the contemplation. Thoughts have more depth; imagination is more potent; and like I said, in terms of spirituality, you feel a connectedness with your body and nature. I won't go into everything but all I can say is that meditation, for me, has been life-changing.

I am still stunned at how effective it has been. I have gained a whole new level of respect for the raw power that the human mind can generate under the right conditions. In reality the hopeless situations that most of us find ourselves in is a complete fabrication of our mind, and it can be reversed. Even the darkest moods that we find ourselves is nothing but the product of the the impurities that we sow. They can be washed away like any bath.

It's very difficult to explain how a person changes under this type of thing. But all I know is that I now have self-confidence (something I haven't felt for probably a decade), I have developed a strong conscience, and I have a deep appreciation for life and the power of the human spirit. Also, it really helps with my ADHD, my mind is completely lucid and I am relaxed for the rest of the day.

Sorry for the long read, but if I can convince even one person to try it, then mission accomplished. I highly recommend it

Earnest sincerity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:08 AM
EYB
User Requested Ban

Smile

That is so cool - congrats. I have dabbled in meditation and though it relaxed me I didn't notice anything different in my behaviours before- but it seems to have worked for you which is great, so it will be interesting to hear about how you feel a few weeks from now.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:06 AM
SAS Member

Can you recommend any links for a self-introduction?

I've wanted to try it for a while, but I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of going to my local Buddhist temple.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYB View Post
That is so cool - congrats. I have dabbled in meditation and though it relaxed me I didn't notice anything different in my behaviours before- but it seems to have worked for you which is great, so it will be interesting to hear about how you feel a few weeks from now.
Hey thanks, I appreciate the good word

In regards to you, did you maintain a regime of it? The potency of meditation doesn't begin to have long-term effects until you do it routinely.

Earnest sincerity
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeilingStarer View Post
Can you recommend any links for a self-introduction?

I've wanted to try it for a while, but I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of going to my local Buddhist temple.
lol, here is a helpful link to get you started
http://www.freemeditations.com/

I would recommend just going to Google and searching 'meditation help' or 'yoga techniques' etc. there are a ton of links and you can find something that works for you there.

Yoga isn't necessary for meditation but they complement each other very well. Meditation is very simple, but it requires an open mind, a willingness to let yourself go, and an active imagination. So yoga and other physical exercises help relax the body and is a great lubricant to the whole process.

Earnest sincerity
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Staying positive

Yep meditation is good because you are actually exercising the part of the brain that stops negative thoughts from happening. The more you do it, the stronger that part of the brain gets and the more effective it is in stopping negative thoughts. It will strengthen the control you have over your thoughts.

"The world's a roller coaster
And I am not strapped in
Maybe I should hold with care
But my hands are busy in the air"
~ Incubus
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 AM
SAS Member

Very nice to hear/read. Good for you. I've considered this route and will give it a try in the future.

When little kids laugh, that's the best - because they can't lie yet. They can't pretend to laugh like other people.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 AM
SAS Member

Thats awesome bro its great to hear success stories especially without the use of meds.How long around did you do meditation before your anxiety went?Did you do it all by yourself or eventually go to like class sessions?

Ahh sorry for all the questions man but you got me curious, i've attempted it before but i didn't really know what i was trying to do lol.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoady View Post
Thats awesome bro its great to hear success stories especially without the use of meds.How long around did you do meditation before your anxiety went?Did you do it all by yourself or eventually go to like class sessions?

Ahh sorry for all the questions man but you got me curious, i've attempted it before but i didn't really know what i was trying to do lol.
No, please ask away. I'm more than willing to help out a fellow sufferer. I've been doing it for only a month but the results have been absolutely amazing. Even after the first time that I meditated I felt my anxiety go away. It's like this: I wake up in the morning, stretch, have a cup of tea; then I take up the lotus position and do mind relaxation exercises for about 10 minutes. Once my mind is clear I meditate on a variety of things (differs from each person I guess). And then for the rest of the day I'm almost completely stress free, all my anxieties just magically disappear.

For me it's a miracle cure, lol.

Earnest sincerity
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
SAS Member

Awesome! Whenever I meditate regularly I definitely notice a difference in my overall levels of anxiety and depression.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
EYB
User Requested Ban

Smile

To answer your question- I did practice for a couple of years around 2-3 times daily and a few years ago I looked into Buddhism and as fascinating as their beliefs were, alongside feeling calmer of course- all I'm saying is that meditating didn't change my SA behaviour.

Yes totally relaxed me but it didn't translate into my ordinary every day behaviour. My choice these days is hypnosis- I absolutely love it.

I know though that there doesn't seem to be a standard method or techique that works for SA suffers - that's why it's still prevelant I suppose.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:05 AM
SAS Member

I actually did it properly after reading this thread yeterday and i have to say it has some pretty awesome effects!Can't say if my anxiety went but i felt like being drugged, just felt very docile and clear when i opened my eyes but it was only about 10 minutes before my thoughts started going wild again.

I only did meditate for about 5 minutes, thoughts were jumping in alot but i must say i need to do this more often i wouldn't be surprised if i could somewhat diminish my anxiety doing this alot more and once i get used to being able to meditate for longer periods of time.Well all i did was concentrate on my body/breathing i don't know where to go further from there but i must say the effects are certainly beneficial.I have this constant tightness in my throat after an uncomfortable 2 minutes it seemed to vanish,every breath i took felt amazing.

Thanks a billion for bringing this up man, i'm going to try it for awhile everyday and hopefully build my tolerance to be able to sit for longer periods of time.I'll post in this thread again in the future.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 AM
SAS Member

i've been wanting to try this out but i've just been too tired to try and find a place to start or teach myself how to do it... ugh
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 AM
SAS Member

Meditation need not be connected to any religious or spiritual beliefs. I like to think of it, after hearing a psychologist describe it this way, as reigning in control over one's consciousness and reducing "physic entropy". Meditation ceratinly would help you quit negative thought patterns that you know are pointless, that most people can't normally do this means they have no control over their own mind. The normal state of the mind is unfortunately chaos, if you don't notice this often its because external stimuli is busy giving order to your consciousness. But what happens when you are all alone doing nothing? If all sorts of useless and unpleasant thoughts/emotions pop up then that confirms the theory and you might want to start meditating.

Picture a spectrum of different types of people who have different levels of control over their consciousness. At the bottom or left of the spectrum would be schizophrenics, people who have no say whatsoever in what thoughts pop up in their heads and what is given priority(and thus go insane). At the other end would be say... an eastern monk or someone who has invested a big chunk of their life meditating and has gained such a control over their mind that they can conjure up emotional states or block out pain (or so I hear). Yeah, obviously better to get as close as you can towards that one end of the spectrum.

Quote:
i've been wanting to try this out but i've just been too tired to try and find a place to start or teach myself how to do it... ugh
Its probably simpler than you think. You don't have to sit in silence and think about nothing, that is too hard for most people to start doing. You can listen to peaceful music while focusing on your breathing. You can download guided meditations (PM if you want to know where) that encourage you to more smoothly get the gist of it. If thoughts disturb your meditation, then its no big deal and you need not chastise yourself for it, just drop them and continue.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:28 AM
SAS Member

I really enjoyed that read in a way its given me some hope, i have been suffering with SA for as long as i can remember i also have ADHD so the stress from my anxiety just makes every thing alot worse, anxiety - stress - frustration - anger

Im going to give meditation a try.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 PM
SAS Member

Now i'm inspired to really give this a chance.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Stressed
Thumbs up

Well, good for you. Didn't do squat for me.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Permanently Banned

spread the word...meditation is the way to go!!
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Greenmail

Thanks for this post . I had been doing it here and there and it did help calm me down a bit. I'll try to meditate every day and hopefully it will work better.

Team DOG
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:44 PM
SAS Member

I've recently tried the meditation thing for a week now and I believe it helps also. I know it takes a while of doing it constantly for it to make a big impact on your anxiety and that's the goal I'm hoping I get to . For me when I am in social situtations around a lot of people and I notice to much atention getting put on me my hearts starts beating so fast that you can see my shirt moving from my heart beat, I go into this drowzy weird state of mind where my mouth and eyes get dry and I caint get out of it, I try not to smile because it comes off nervous and weird looking and my voice sounds so nervous. I hate it so much and. I hope meditation can helps me calm my nerves and atleast help me look I'm not nervous when I'm in that type of situation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page