Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Making myself ready to face my fears

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  fictionz 
#1 ·
To overcome SA I'm forcing myself to face my fears again after a long period of avoidance.

But one question. What do I do if I get physical symptoms , like shaking,sweating,blank mind our dizziness? If I escape (again)I basically keep avoiding the real anxiety. So do I just have to keep on going true that?. It will be weird for other people to see me like that?. also for myself of course.

#2 ·
Hey :)

I started cognitive behavioral therapy a while ago, and yeah...it is really difficult to go through those physical symptoms while you are facing your fears. I guess I found out that it helps to take small steps towards overcoming social fears. But I gotta say, you have my respect for facing your fears!! It sounds like you are a pretty determined person.

When starting to take on my physical symptoms of social anxiety, I found that I was really hard on myself to begin with, and I didn't reward myself for the small achievements. Now, when I get myself out of the house and to class, I let myself feel good about just getting out of the house...because for me, that is an achievement, and it involves facing physical symptoms that feel pretty uncomfortable.

If you are looking for any advice, I'd say to try going to a cognitive behavioral therapist to keep you on track, or maybe trying to use a book on cognitive behavioral therapy to start facing your fears at the right pace for you. Here is a link to one of the books I found really helpful!

http://www.amazon.com/Shyness-Social-Anxiety-Workbook-Techniques/dp/1572242167

#3 ·
To overcome SA I'm forcing myself to face my fears again after a long period of avoidance.

But one question. What do I do if I get physical symptoms , like shaking,sweating,blank mind our dizziness? If I escape (again)I basically keep avoiding the real anxiety. So do I just have to keep on going true that?. It will be weird for other people to see me like that?. also for myself of course.
Hi Dutchguy. :)

I think the answer to what if might be so what? You'll get your physical symptoms and you'll ride through them and you'll come out of them the other side and you'll still be here and you'll be ok. It might be weird for other people but... so what. Also, a lot of people don't even notice - they're too busy absorbed in their own thoughts and behaviours. If someone does notice, maybe just say something like 'I know this looks weird but I have social phobia and it has a mind of its own' and then just give 'em a big cheesy smile and have a giggle?

Let us know how you go! :D

#4 ·
I agree with Little Elf. You will feel physical signs of discomfort, but they aren't permanent. Really focus on grounding yourself and working through the discomfort, and remind yourself of how awesome you are for even trying at all. Most people don't TRY to put themselves in a situation where they feel uncomfortable. The fact that you want this, and you're brave enough to do it speaks volumes to your ability to ride through the discomfort. And when you do, post here, so we can congratulate you. You deserve that.

#5 ·
Yup they can't be avoided. You want to avoid them, but when the time comes, 'oh no why is this happening to me!!' kind of thought comes. In fact I had a person stare at me asking like do you have Parkinson's or something just because I was shaking. I just look back at smile, saying nah of course not. There are people that will not understand and even make you feel worse, but such people are those you shouldn't mind about. Just think how awesome you are for even wanting to go out there and face the very thing you fear the most. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.