Made a total fool of myself. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Locked and Loaded

My Mood: Doh

Made a total fool of myself.

So a while back I had made a thread about starting a new job. I suffer from really bad panic attacks when ever I start anything new and today I totally made myself look like an idiot!!

I got a call that there was someone who was going to come to my work place to size me for uniforms for my new job. I thought not so bad? I planned a time for when I would be done my sales calls on the road to be back at work. Well for some reason I started to have really bad anxiety as the time got close, I was driving so I had to stop at the side of the road because I got extremely dizzy/numb and sick. When I got to work everyone was worried as to why I was so pale and disorientated!! Must have thought I was having a heart attack. I had to take a breather for a bit since I was so dizzy and sick but I finally tried uniforms. I've never felt SO embarrassed in front of my co-workers and it is only trying on uniforms! ugh now I'm very worried about when I start my new job and how that day will turn out.... :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:00 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about it too much. Even if you have to say to your co-workers that you weren't feeling great, next time you see them - they'll most likely understand. Things usually aren't as embarrassing as you thought they were.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:07 PM
SAS Member

Language: Algonquin
My Mood: Psychedelic
Great job hanging in there and making it through the uniform ordeal. Maybe you have a good group to work with? It seemed like they were genuinely concerned about you? I agree with @MylesB93 . They will likely understand and I'd bet there may be one or two who've had issues with anxiety as well. Best of luck!

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Locked and Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesB93 View Post
I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about it too much. Even if you have to say to your co-workers that you weren't feeling great, next time you see them - they'll most likely understand. Things usually aren't as embarrassing as you thought they were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesker View Post
Great job hanging in there and making it through the uniform ordeal. Maybe you have a good group to work with? It seemed like they were genuinely concerned about you? I agree with @MylesB93 . They will likely understand and I'd bet there may be one or two who've had issues with anxiety as well. Best of luck!
Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to miss this job I currently work at, I have grown very comfortable there, they have been a great group of people to work with, even when we do have our differences.

I know I want to take this next job for a better career opportunity and I tell myself that but I still always get crippling anxiety even when I don't think bad stuff.

I just feel so stupid for making a big deal over trying on uniforms - I mean I thought to myself come on! Why am I getting anxiety over this? No body does!! I haven't even started my new job yet! I think my coworkers clued in later that it was the reason I was so sick, but I have never told them about my anxiety issues because it has never been a problem these past couple years since I started this last job.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
I think my coworkers clued in later that it was the reason I was so sick, but I have never told them about my anxiety issues because it has never been a problem these past couple years since I started this last job.
I don't know. People don't usually look into it that much. They probably thought you were dehydrated or ate a bad lunch.

Never think opportunity as another way for anxiety to push you down, think of it as another way for you to push anxiety down.

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it"

A man cries out loud.
A leader cries in silence.
A thing doesn't cry at all.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:59 AM
SAS Member

Don't sweat it. Today I made a fool of myself in front of a ups delivery guy trying to sign for a package. I was literally panicking the whole time it felt like forever signing and I was shaking. I know the guy could tell I was anxious too. Ugh..everyone has those moments.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:16 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
So a while back I had made a thread about starting a new job. I suffer from really bad panic attacks when ever I start anything new and today I totally made myself look like an idiot!!

I got a call that there was someone who was going to come to my work place to size me for uniforms for my new job. I thought not so bad? I planned a time for when I would be done my sales calls on the road to be back at work. Well for some reason I started to have really bad anxiety as the time got close, I was driving so I had to stop at the side of the road because I got extremely dizzy/numb and sick. When I got to work everyone was worried as to why I was so pale and disorientated!! Must have thought I was having a heart attack. I had to take a breather for a bit since I was so dizzy and sick but I finally tried uniforms. I've never felt SO embarrassed in front of my co-workers and it is only trying on uniforms! ugh now I'm very worried about when I start my new job and how that day will turn out.... :S
You pressed through it, though!

What was it that you think would have caused you embarrassment? Passing gas? Puking on the fitters? Mumbling?

It sounds like you made it worse in your mind.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 11:05 AM
SAS Member

Personally, I don't see how you made a fool of yourself. If anything, your work colleagues were interested and worried about you - not analyzing and criticizing you.

But as with situations like this, we often play them back in our mind and it just feels a hell of a lot worse than it actually was. I would have thought when you got your color back, your colleagues would have thought no more about it.

New jobs in particular can be very difficult, I for one can totally relate to that. But what you have to remember is that they were all in the same boat once, they'd have felt that 'new job' 'first day' feeling too. People aren't too different, we all are made with the same parts at the end of the day. It depends on what sort of job It is I guess, but what I've tried to do is find someone I can relate to, and no matter how hard/impossible you think that is, there is always someone you can relate to in most situations. Once you break the ice with one person, it kind of creates a bit of a domino effect and you can then crack on and do what you're good at in your job. Once you're settled and you prove how capable you are, you'll earn the respect of others and you'll wonder what you ever worried about.

Good luck.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Locked and Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
You pressed through it, though!

What was it that you think would have caused you embarrassment? Passing gas? Puking on the fitters? Mumbling?

It sounds like you made it worse in your mind.
I'm glad that is over, I guess I did make myself feel worse about it What caused me to feel so embarrassed was the fact that I was so sick in front of my co-workers that made them worried about me, which wasn't a bad thing I suppose, but it was attention I really didn't want at that moment in time, it was awkward and made me feel weak/inferior. I was making a big ordeal out of trying on uniforms and who does that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledsoul25 View Post
Personally, I don't see how you made a fool of yourself. If anything, your work colleagues were interested and worried about you - not analyzing and criticizing you.

But as with situations like this, we often play them back in our mind and it just feels a hell of a lot worse than it actually was. I would have thought when you got your color back, your colleagues would have thought no more about it.

New jobs in particular can be very difficult, I for one can totally relate to that. But what you have to remember is that they were all in the same boat once, they'd have felt that 'new job' 'first day' feeling too. People aren't too different, we all are made with the same parts at the end of the day. It depends on what sort of job It is I guess, but what I've tried to do is find someone I can relate to, and no matter how hard/impossible you think that is, there is always someone you can relate to in most situations. Once you break the ice with one person, it kind of creates a bit of a domino effect and you can then crack on and do what you're good at in your job. Once you're settled and you prove how capable you are, you'll earn the respect of others and you'll wonder what you ever worried about.

Good luck.
Thanks I appreciate your post! I guess they could have thought I had a bad patty at lunch too, it is nice that they where concerned for me but at that moment in time it made me feel very awkward. I didn't want them to see me like that. They didn't mention anything about it today, so It must have just been that as you said.

I start my new job next week Wednesday and I am getting very nervous about that, more than someone else I would say. I have always had anxiety and panic when ever I try something new, I'll just have to soldier on through it till I do get comfortable.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 04:18 PM
SAS Member

To be honest, I'd be worried if you weren't nervous about that! Totally natural, everyone feels it. But whilst the initial step seems the hardest, the rest is a doddle. It's like jumping a hurdle, get over that and the rest is a clear straight and you just look back and wonder what you were worried about.

Totally normal to be anxious about change, I always am myself, but through my own mistakes I've learnt that avoiding opportunities creates a much more unhappy life, so just grab new jobs that come at you.

Seriously though, keep your head up and just focus on the job and take confidence from the fact that they thought you were the best person for it. Show your worth.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page