Life gets worse as you get older - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Monster

Life gets worse as you get older

Enough said.

I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 11:23 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
And in my case, I had to live it in order to understand it. It's not that I don't think things were bad back when. It's that things have gotten worse than I thought they'd be. Like when I was younger and older people told me things like "You just don't know" I heard them and I thought I understood what they meant but I really didn't. I guess some people don't need to experience it in order to get it but I did.

WB. To you and your dog. I was wondering if you'd ever show back up.

/WYSD
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 11:32 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
My life has been getting steadily better

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 01:43 PM
lagrimas negras

In some ways I guess. For me one good thing about getting older is that I don't feel as much pressure to fit in with what everyone else is doing or what I'm supposed to do to be "normal".
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 01:50 PM
SAS Member

My 20s has been better than my teens. I hope that continues on for the next decades
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 02:46 PM
Failure's Art

That depends I guess. At some point you reach a threshold where your health declines and everything becomes more difficult and there is no going back to before. So in that regard getting older certainly is worse. But I don't think it necessarily gets worse otherwise. That depends on the person. My life is kind of worse in that I no longer have friends like I did when I was younger. But I have myself and my decisions to blame for that. Conversely my life is better in that I'm making more money now than when I was younger so my life is a little more secure and comfortable, economically speaking. I just think things change. They're always changing, and you have to take the good with the bad and recognize there isn't much you can control and just try to roll with the punches.

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 01:27 PM
SAS Member

I think it also depends on how you define "worse". I've had bad times in my life, but they were all bad in different ways, and my mental state during those times varied as well. So it's basically impossible to compare them to each other and say which one was "the worst". Like, for example, certain times in my life that were really awful from a logical standpoint (crappy job, no money, no friends, whatever) were times when I really had myself together mentally and could gracefully weather that rough patch and see myself through to the other side. And then there were times when my life didn't really look all that bad from a logical standpoint, but my mental health was a mess and I was just a disaster and I remember being very miserable.
With that perspective, I find it easier to be optimistic about the future. Because presumably, the older you get, the more you get to know yourself and the more time you have to improve your mental health issues. So while life itself may or may not get better or worse, *you* get more able to handle whatever happens.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 01:05 AM

00F
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 01:14 AM
❤️ Terminator ❤️

Language: English, some Italian. Also Australianisms and Swearing.
Only if you want it to. Disabled people for example don't have the luxury of taking life for granted.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 01:42 AM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
That depends I guess. At some point you reach a threshold where your health declines and everything becomes more difficult and there is no going back to before. So in that regard getting older certainly is worse. But I don't think it necessarily gets worse otherwise. That depends on the person. My life is kind of worse in that I no longer have friends like I did when I was younger. But I have myself and my decisions to blame for that. Conversely my life is better in that I'm making more money now than when I was younger so my life is a little more secure and comfortable, economically speaking. I just think things change. They're always changing, and you have to take the good with the bad and recognize there isn't much you can control and just try to roll with the punches.
This exactly.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 08:07 AM
Failure's Art

@aqwsderf

I was scrolling through this thread and noticed that it looks like our avatars are waving at each other or trying to high five or something lol. Or maybe I'm just delirious because I didn't get enough sleep last night : |

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 09:36 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Worried
My life has gotten better as I got older. My teens to early 20's were miserable. Im in my early 40's now and things are a lot better. Downside is yes your health and youthful looks do fade. But you should have a better job and more money and know yourself and what you like a lot more then in your 20's
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 03:38 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
@aqwsderf

I was scrolling through this thread and noticed that it looks like our avatars are waving at each other or trying to high five or something lol. Or maybe I'm just delirious because I didn't get enough sleep last night : |

Lmao hello down there...
Hope you're not drowning
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 07:55 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I don't consider my childhood, teens, and 90% of my 20s worth looking back on. Grew up, lived, and wasted most of it in a confined, backward-mentality environment. Regardless, I do have hope for my 30s. It's funny how it's the opposite for "most" of your average people though.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 08:02 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
I guess it does depend on what kinds of problems you have/had/will have. Some of the problems I have are the kinds of things that just don't get better with time or effort. And pretty much they're only going to go in one directions ---> Worse.

Humans are individuals to such an extent that it's scary when you see one person who seems to do everything right and/or have everything go right for them and you see someone who seems very similar/equal and they just can't get a break no matter what they do.

/WYSD
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 06:39 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Devilish
I don't know how much downhill it can go from here. But it's always possible.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

I find it sadly until now to be the case as well OP, though scientific evidence (yeah I know) suggests that people actually get happier the older they get (like 50+), so maybe with a few more years things will turn around?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 01:08 PM
SAS Member

Depends. When I was languishing, stuck and hopeless I felt it was getting worse. Nowadays, with therapy and getting a handle on some of my difficulties, life feels like it's consistently getting better. My very, very worst day nowadays is far better than my best day before getting help and therapy. I look forward to my future and can only imagine life continuing to get better (barring severe illness, accident, etc.)
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 09:14 PM
no scary

When I was a teen I felt like I had much less control over my own life than I do now. Realizing I can do something other than take the blows and wallow in misery took a long time for me, being as sheltered as I was.

I don't know. I imagine myself happier in the future, having grown happier in the past 5 years.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page