Leaving a job, what do? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Greatjon

Leaving a job, what do?

I'm currently doing an apprenticeship where it's just me and another guy working under one boss, and she has these monthly meetings with me in which she interrogates me on my progress, how I can improve, what I like most, what I need to improve on exactly, they're horrendous. However, I've been saying it's great and I still want a job in this sort of role (she seems like she really wants to train me up to be a full time employee). The things is I don't want the job at all. Now my parent's think it's acceptable to just look for another job, find one and tell my boss I'll be leaving in (insert notice period here) and 'it's my right' so it's fine. That just sounds terrible, I don't even know how she'd react.

Have any of you been in a situation like this? what did you do? I've left a part time supermarket job before and it wasn't awful, but a small office environment where I'm half the workforce just makes it very awkward for me. Thank you for reading.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Big Boo's Haunt

If you're worried about leaving the boss high and dry and don't want to take your parents' approach (which is perfectly acceptable btw and is probably the safest option from an employee perspective, but I take it that you'd feel bad doing that), you could explain your intentions in advance and allow your boss to have some input into how long it'll take her to find someone to replace you... Then use that as your notice period once you find a new job to go to, or she could start looking for someone else then and there.

**** you and your mandatory custom signature.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Greatjon

Yeah, I was worried about having to do that. I think either way I'll have to have an awkward conversation with her, but yeah I think telling her I'm looking for a job could help alleviate some of that. Thanks for your response

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page