It's Hard if Pets are All You've Got - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Unhappy

It's Hard if Pets are All You've Got

A few days ago I had to say goodbye to my beloved cat Spy after he suffered a short illness. In his final days he was suffering so much and it was literally traumatising to witness. I've been absolutely heartbroken ever since.

And it got me thinking. I won't ever have children (out of choice) and I doubt I will ever find a long-term partner. Pets are literally all that I will have. But they don't live that long! A cat can live up to 18-20 AT MOST. When I think about it, it means that I am going to be suffering heartbreaks and sorrow so many times during the course of my life. Anyone that knows what it's like to lose a beloved pet knows how deeply harrowing it feels. It hurts to think about already. In a world where you don't have much connections as is, the heartbreak is even more! I just don't know...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:47 AM
SAS Member

yeah i agree....i lost my beloved boxer dog back in 2001....she was a beautiful lovely creature.....i still miss her and its been 19 yrs!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 01:59 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishkarl View Post
yeah i agree....i lost my beloved boxer dog back in 2001....she was a beautiful lovely creature.....i still miss her and its been 19 yrs!
My boxer passed away in 2017. She was with us for 10 years. It is heartbreaking

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 04:33 PM
bipolar

Sorry to hear about your cat - it's sad when pets die, takes a long time to get over them sometimes.

Try to get a few people in your life though - you're still very young. You don't need to give up on that. There are some very nice people out there. (and they last a lot longer than pets) Oops, sorry - you know what I mean though.

Hope you're feeling better soon anyway.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 05:54 PM

Language: American English, some Spanish
Pets are essentially one of the reasons why I'm still even here. Without them, it would definitely be a very lonely life.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 10:54 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
But at least you got pets.

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 11:00 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
my fox terrier was probably the main thing that stopped me from becoming a full on psychopath, he probably was the only one who taught me about love. I think animals are often nicer then people. They don't ask why you don't have a job, why you can't get a girlfriend. They don't care if your clothes aren't as nice as everyone else's. They don't care if your mum talks with a funny accent. All they want is to be loved, fed, played with and looked after. They don't ask for much and give so much in return.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 02:14 PM

Language: American English, some Spanish
Sorry for your loss. Yes, it is hard. I had to put my first cat who I've had since I was a child down over two years ago and it was just as heartbreaking as my first dog back in 2009 who I've pretty much had since I was a newborn. It's hard to think about as I still have pets now - especially since they are very clingy. Parrots are probably the most one can invest in (if you believe they should be house pets along with having the time and finances) since they live almost as long as the average US citizen.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 03:13 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
Yeah I can relate to that. Pets are still a way better option for me though, considering how I am with people.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 04:13 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Well it would be worse if you didn't have pets, yeah they're gonna die, that's life.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 06:00 PM
SAS Member

Language: english
My Mood: Crappy
So sorry. I understand .i 've always had animals and always will. I can't function around people properly. Irl animals will always be my only friends until i die . It 's a nightmare when animals pass.Makes me wanna die more.

I'm sorry to everyone that has lost aninal friends.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:42 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
My last cat got so sick, and the experience was so traumatizing, that after she died I just decided never to have another pet. I was having nightmares about her every night and just felt heartbroken the whole time. I can't go through that again. So it's just me from here on out. But I'll probably be living on the street anyway, and that's no life for an animal.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page