Isolation - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Isolation

I keep accidentally isolating myself just by simply forgetting to talk to people. I don't know how one just "forgets". I guess people text me before I can text them. I'm going to try to be the one who reaches out first more. It feels nice when people text me and are thinking of me, I want to pay it back. I guess im just sad right now that I wasn't that person in the past, and I probably made friendships die because of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 02:25 AM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
I'm pretty bad for this. Time seems to move differently for me. Weeks can go by and it only feels like a few days, so it's always other people getting in touch with me first, not the other way around. I'm just a very preoccupied person and lose track of time. I've lost out on friendships for this reason, I'm sure. People stop trying to get my attention after a while.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I'm pretty bad for this. Time seems to move differently for me. Weeks can go by and it only feels like a few days, so it's always other people getting in touch with me first, not the other way around. I'm just a very preoccupied person and lose track of time. I've lost out on friendships for this reason, I'm sure. People stop trying to get my attention after a while.
I totally get that, because a lot of the time, I feel I'm just preoccupied too. Sometimes I can get so obsessed with completing a project (which I rarely complete anyway) that I forget to be social. I'm also so bad at accepting warmth from others. I don't know why, but any time someone attempts to treat me special, I mistake it for coddling, which I can't stand. It's like if people try to get to close, something in me wants to lash out, but I also desire to have close friendships. I legitimately don't know what's wrong with me

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 02:00 AM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy extrovert View Post
I totally get that, because a lot of the time, I feel I'm just preoccupied too. Sometimes I can get so obsessed with completing a project (which I rarely complete anyway) that I forget to be social. I'm also so bad at accepting warmth from others. I don't know why, but any time someone attempts to treat me special, I mistake it for coddling, which I can't stand. It's like if people try to get to close, something in me wants to lash out, but I also desire to have close friendships. I legitimately don't know what's wrong with me
I don't think I'm bad at accepting warmth; I like it when people show interest. But I feel like an old cat that people take notice of, scratch behind the ear, and then forget about. I've never really felt like I was important in another person's life; not so important that, if they asked me how I was, they really cared how I answered. Interesting enough to talk to, but not interesting enough to get to know, is about where I've always stood with people. So I don't take their interest very seriously. Nice when it happens, if it's a pleasant kind of attention, but nothing to get attached to. Probably why I don't bother to reach out to them.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 03:02 PM
SAS member

Language: English, and hopefully fluent Japanese one day...
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
I guess people text me before I can text them.
I do more texting with fictional characters than in real life . In Persona 5 I also put the friend's request to hang out on hold because I'd rather explore the palace

The few times I do text in real life I respond when it's convenient. I feel like a completionist when it comes to answering what someone sent me, like there's an imaginary smoke alarm going off internally until it becomes "checked off" of on my to-do list.

John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 11:11 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
Quote:
I don't know why, but any time someone attempts to treat me special, I mistake it for coddling, which I can't stand. It's like if people try to get to close, something in me wants to lash out, but I also desire to have close friendships. I legitimately don't know what's wrong with me
Wow I feel that.
Maybe for me it's a bit different but I always fear that people don't actually care when that happens. That they either want something from me, or pity me. I can get close to other people, as in get to know them because I do actually care and have an interest in who they are but for whatever reason I hate when the same is done to me.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire mage64 View Post
Quote:
I guess people text me before I can text them.
I do more texting with fictional characters than in real life <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/teeth.gif" border="0" alt="" title="teeth" >:-)</a>. In Persona 5 I also put the friend's request to hang out on hold because I'd rather explore the palace <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/duel.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>

The few times I do text in real life I respond when it's convenient. I feel like a completionist when it comes to answering what someone sent me, like there's an imaginary smoke alarm going off internally until it becomes "checked off" of on my to-do list.

You play persona 5?? I want to play that game so much! I've watched the cut scenes and some of the gameplay. Looks tons of fun
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelli View Post
Quote:
I don't know why, but any time someone attempts to treat me special, I mistake it for coddling, which I can't stand. It's like if people try to get to close, something in me wants to lash out, but I also desire to have close friendships. I legitimately don't know what's wrong with me
Wow I feel that.
Maybe for me it's a bit different but I always fear that people don't actually care when that happens. That they either want something from me, or pity me. I can get close to other people, as in get to know them because I do actually care and have an interest in who they are but for whatever reason I hate when the same is done to me.
Same and I think it's cause I was bullied as a child, like, to the point of being asked out as a joke. It made me really distrustful and angry with romantic advances. It instilled in me such a lack of confidence, that I want people to leave me the **** alone because if they REALLY knew what I was like, they wouldn't like me
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 05:55 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
You play persona 5?? I want to play that game so much! I've watched the cut scenes and some of the gameplay. Looks tons of fun
You should play Persona 5 Royal when it goes on sale! It's a really long game though, so you're probably looking at a month or longer to finish it if you have a busy schedule. :P

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page