Is Your Flavor Depression or Anxiety? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
No Blood for Politics

My Mood: Breezy

Is Your Flavor Depression or Anxiety?

Mine's always been anxiety--so deep and overwhelming it's resulted in depression. But depression is just a side effect. The real culprit is complete electrical short circuiting born of raw physical fear and panic.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:11 PM
long hard times to come

Always had social anxiety and selective mutism growing up. The loneliness of not being able to connect with others lead to my depression.

What a sick self-reinforcing cycle.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 12:10 AM
Social Pothole

Usually both back and forth. But as I get older, it's much more of depression. I don't really get much anxiety any more unless during less routine situations.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 12:52 AM
alien monk

schizoid/avoidant flavour.

YUMMY!
now with 50% more angst

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 01:11 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

Wow, yep

a third tone of loneliness...

fight or flee when attacked by taunts, accusations... where all root language always being YOU & YOURRR phone & YOU & Yoourrr... ... ... all yourr ...
all those belonging to oneself.. their God & all other possessions ...

or woes or worries, concerns

strings attached to all bean cans, after marriage ritual.. all one's own things... ownershiPPP of wife, all children, cars generated, some of which inside the womb

all dependancies attached by string .. ummm.. cordcutterz
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 03:22 AM
SAS Member

Mine was always more anxiety. I think it many ways it was worse when I was younger - especially when more was expected of me. I would wake up into a sort of existential terror.

I've had episodes of depression but it's not constant thank God. And of course over the last 10 or so years the mania has started. That can be a problem.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 03:25 AM
Leftist Darkness

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
depression, anxiety, schizoid, avoidant, occasional mood issues (above the other stuff and the depression,) autism, other stuff.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 07:53 AM
Half agony, half hope.

I genuinely think the ADD medication I took as a child altered the chemicals of my brain b/c I had my first suicidal thoughts at like 8 or 9 which is around the time I was on them. So depression has been a little more constant in my life. I remember being shy as a kid, but I didn't develop an anxiety disorder until I was in my early teens. I've grown to view my anxiety as something I had to deal with? Like the symptoms sucked, and I was house bound for a period of my life it was so bad, but after a while I had this hope that I could get better. If that makes sense? I still have anxiety, it still sucks and I can't control if I have an anxiety attack half the times, but I handle it a little better.

With depression I mean I could get up and take care of myself instead of locking myself away all day and being unproductive, though difficult. But I think what was hard for me to cope with is that no amount of 'trying' would fix how I felt. It never felt like something I could push past or climb over, it was this constant battle of trying not to drown. It was frustrating to me, it was frustrating to the people who knew me. It felt like being on the ocean and trying to fix a hole in a boat with bandaids. Constantly trying but getting nowhere. I still handle my depression a little more poorly than I do my anxiety. Ironically I find being alone does help me, in regards to depression it's so often stressed to surround yourself with others which half the time makes it worse (sometimes that is what I need, other times no). Often times I'll go for a drive to the ocean. With depression I sometimes feel void or emotionally blunted. My life, my problems, not feeling, seem so minuscule when I look out onto the water. Realizing I'm just a small blip on this earth, in this giant universe, brings an odd sense of comfort.

I ranted, but to sum it up they go hand and hand and I feel like it's sort of always been that way. I wouldn't say my anxiety is the key to my depression or vice versa. They just kinda coexist with one another. Though they certainly can fluctuate one making the other worse without a doubt.

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 09:16 AM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
Same. I've always been anxious, and then the depression comes from being too anxious to form social connections. I've become more comfortable with that as I've gotten older, though.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 05:03 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I'd say both, but still anxiety is more likely...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 05:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Pensive
I'd definitely say more anxiety. I've always been avoidant and used to isolating myself, but I'm working on that...

My depression was largely mitigated by the medication I'm taking. I still get sad, but I'm usually pretty apathetic for the most part and never really experience extreme lows in my mood anymore.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 06:26 PM
SAS Member

Anxiety. Depression can appear at times as side effect of isolation when anxiety is worse but it's seldom there anymore. It was much more apparent when I was in high school -> early 20's
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 07:05 PM
Don
Fupa King

Language: English
I feel depressed over my inability to connect with others, constant sense of social shame, and constantly feeling like a failure at every layer of my life. And then there is the sense of anxiety that prevades everything I do, most predominantly social interaction and going into any public space where I can be seen. So, a bit of both I suppose. Although I'm not sure what things sit under which umbrella sometimes.

Life's Wack
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 07:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Anxiety.

The lower quality of life due to anxiety has occasionally caused me to feel depressed, but I think I'm actually less naturally prone to depression than the average person, if anything.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 09:59 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Grumpy
Always been anxiety and near constant worry. Depression has been getting worse over the past few months and I might be getting close to the point of it overtaking anxiety. At the moment, I am completely hopeless and apathetic towards basically everything and everyone.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
No Blood for Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine79 View Post
Always been anxiety and near constant worry. Depression has been getting worse over the past few months and I might be getting close to the point of it overtaking anxiety. At the moment, I am completely hopeless and apathetic towards basically everything and everyone.
This is pretty much my normal state unless I can manage to distract myself. If I'm left with a lot of free time and have the option to isolate the pendulum swings from anxiety toward depression/hopelessness but the root is anxiety.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
No Blood for Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmefate View Post
Anxiety. Depression can appear at times as side effect of isolation when anxiety is worse but it's seldom there anymore. It was much more apparent when I was in high school -> early 20's
So it was worse when you were in high school? For me it was much better then but completely fell apart after I graduated.

~bad baby

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
No Blood for Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
schizoid/avoidant flavour.

YUMMY!
now with 50% more angst
I lol'ed but it's not really funny, although a sense of humor can be a lifeline.

~bad baby

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
No Blood for Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBearx View Post
I genuinely think the ADD medication I took as a child altered the chemicals of my brain b/c I had my first suicidal thoughts at like 8 or 9 which is around the time I was on them. So depression has been a little more constant in my life. I remember being shy as a kid, but I didn't develop an anxiety disorder until I was in my early teens. I've grown to view my anxiety as something I had to deal with? Like the symptoms sucked, and I was house bound for a period of my life it was so bad, but after a while I had this hope that I could get better. If that makes sense? I still have anxiety, it still sucks and I can't control if I have an anxiety attack half the times, but I handle it a little better.

With depression I mean I could get up and take care of myself instead of locking myself away all day and being unproductive, though difficult. But I think what was hard for me to cope with is that no amount of 'trying' would fix how I felt. It never felt like something I could push past or climb over, it was this constant battle of trying not to drown. It was frustrating to me, it was frustrating to the people who knew me. It felt like being on the ocean and trying to fix a hole in a boat with bandaids. Constantly trying but getting nowhere. I still handle my depression a little more poorly than I do my anxiety. Ironically I find being alone does help me, in regards to depression it's so often stressed to surround yourself with others which half the time makes it worse (sometimes that is what I need, other times no). Often times I'll go for a drive to the ocean. With depression I sometimes feel void or emotionally blunted. My life, my problems, not feeling, seem so minuscule when I look out onto the water. Realizing I'm just a small blip on this earth, in this giant universe, brings an odd sense of comfort.

I ranted, but to sum it up they go hand and hand and I feel like it's sort of always been that way. I wouldn't say my anxiety is the key to my depression or vice versa. They just kinda coexist with one another. Though they certainly can fluctuate one making the other worse without a doubt.
Did you do anything specifically to allow you to handle anxiety better? I've progressively grown more avoidant as the years go by.

~bad baby

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
No Blood for Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayes View Post
Always had social anxiety and selective mutism growing up. The loneliness of not being able to connect with others lead to my depression.

What a sick self-reinforcing cycle.
Yeah, it is. It also seems to have, for lack of a better word, made me dumber. I find that when asked even a simple question I'm at a loss as to the answer, only figuring it out after I'm alone and away from people. I think I need the back and forth with people in order to understand concepts but that's not something I'm able to do.

~bad baby

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page