Is Working Part-Time The Best for SA Sufferers? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
Question

Is Working Part-Time The Best for SA Sufferers?

It's no secret that working life gives massive problems and complications to the SA sufferer.

So maybe working part-time would be alot easier? You're able to work which in turn boosts your esteem and gives you money, but you're not in work enough to be part of the *****y politics I guess.. What do you think?

The only part that's annoying is you're earning 50% less. Which definitely sucks. But if it would save me having a mental break down then maybe ...just maybe it might be worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:00 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
it's a bit less stressful for me. I wouldn't say it's the best but it's better than some situations.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Tired

Language: English
Depends on how conscientious you are. Some people literally need to feel busy and productive in order to not be miserable. Some people are made miserable by being productive and busy. (and variations in between).

If you are towards the latter, then whatever the minimum amount of work you can get away with, presumably. But beware that you might actually benefit from it more than you think you do. Even if it sucks, there might be hard to factor in peripheral benefits.

Generally speaking, unless you are highly conscientious, I cant imagine part time work not being better, if its possible.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:19 PM
monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
Depends on how conscientious you are. Some people literally need to feel busy and productive in order to not be miserable. Some people are made miserable by being productive and busy. (and variations in between).

If you are towards the latter, then whatever the minimum amount of work you can get away with, presumably. But beware that you might actually benefit from it more than you think you do. Even if it sucks, there might be hard to factor in peripheral benefits.

Generally speaking, unless you are highly conscientious, I cant imagine part time work not being better, if its possible.
yeah I waste all my time off. I guess I could say 50% of that is destressing. can't account for the other 50% though really - just bad habits. and only just make enough cover the bills, little chance of advancement.

―Balon Greyjoy
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:28 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Working full time is definitely tougher and more anxiety provoking.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Barbells and kittens

About 30 hours a week is right for me. My work has been really slow the last month and sitting at home playing video games and browsing the internet all day makes me feel unproductive and lethargic. I get a minimum salary each week even if I work very little or if I don't work at all, so that's nice. I still go to the gym regularly, but I guess it's not enough physical activity or something. I'm kind of a low energy person. If its required of me I can work hard and for long hours, but left to my own devices I'm not very productive outside of going to the gym. And like I said not being productive makes me feel worse. Also have no desire to spend all time my working. I guess middle ground and maybe some more active hobbies to do in my off time would be best.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:40 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Yeah, I prefer part-time if i can get away with it. I've done many years of full-time work and never liked it, although there is something to be said for keeping busy.

ATM I'm only working 20 hours a week, in the evenings. I like having time to myself during the day. My mrs is putting pressure on me to get more hours, though. I just tell her I'm trying but there aren't any more available lol.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Permanently Banned

What Bob said really.

Personally I hope to be able able to reduce my weekly hours to 4x7 in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Thread Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
yeah I waste all my time off. I guess I could say 50% of that is destressing. can't account for the other 50% though really - just bad habits. and only just make enough cover the bills, little chance of advancement.
Out of interest how do you support yourself with part-time work (or are you living at home) if you dont mind me asking.

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:50 PM
monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
Out of interest how do you support yourself with part-time work (or are you living at home) if you dont mind me asking.
i live pretty cheaply. flatting in a pretty cheap dirty place with 3 others, no car, i don't go out much. i don't buy things i don't need (i haven't bought anything for a while, only some new earphones for $9). i don't take holidays. not quite breaking even though. my dad gave me $2000 at xmas which covered the deficit - i guess i was down $1000 for the year. i could probably save $20 a week by changing a few things, but it would be a bit annoying - i still buy semi expensive food, which is a large part of that. i could look for some extra work but i am too lazy/pessimistic/something.

―Balon Greyjoy
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:

Unfortunately, this describes me pretty well. I get restless when I'm anxious, and I'm anxious a lot. I prefer to be busy to stop myself from being depressed. It's sad, but I actually feel better at work. Time at home is nice, but too much time makes me stir-crazy.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
Unfortunately, this describes me pretty well. I get restless when I'm anxious, and I'm anxious a lot. I prefer to be busy to stop myself from being depressed. It's sad, but I actually feel better at work. Time at home is nice, but too much time makes me stir-crazy.
I wouldn't consider that a bad thing tbh . I think it's useful to be able to be productive and it also take your mind off things. I kinda struggle with the opposite, but have more recently recognised the value in distraction and keeping myself busy.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:54 PM
SAS Member

I guess it just depends how strong you are and how you're feeling. I don't think working part-time will necesarily be all that much better, although I guess if there's someone at work that you don't like then you don't have to spend as much time with them. That used to happen to me - sometimes they just can't be avoided, there's always one or two of these people.

For quite a long time I worked casually at about 5 or 6 different places - a different place each day, until one college employed me full-time. I used to buy a little book every January and each evening I'd check to see where I was working the next day. I was a lot stronger then and could do it. I couldn't do it in a million years now.

My wife tells me about all the crap she has to put up with at work. The other day she taught for 4 hours straight - and she's not even a bloody teacher. (although she does have a teaching degree as well) She's quite high up but a woman even higher than her was being a bully. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with all that crap anymore.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Thread Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
i live pretty cheaply. flatting in a pretty cheap dirty place with 3 others, no car, i don't go out much. i don't buy things i don't need (i haven't bought anything for a while, only some new earphones for $9). i don't take holidays. not quite breaking even though. my dad gave me $2000 at xmas which covered the deficit - i guess i was down $1000 for the year. i could probably save $20 a week by changing a few things, but it would be a bit annoying - i still buy semi expensive food, which is a large part of that. i could look for some extra work but i am too lazy/pessimistic/something.
how many hours a week do you work?

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 PM
monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
how many hours a week do you work?
it varies. 15 to 30 hours. I guess I average about 25.

―Balon Greyjoy
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:50 PM
experimental sincerity

I worked full-time for 1.5 years and it was the most miserable time. Maybe because I wore a suit and worked in a place where everyone was politically right-wing. Whatever the reasons, every middle of the week I'd have a small breakdown. My view was that if life was going to be like that, I didn't want it.

Part-time work made things so much better, but I must be 'regressing', because now that I work from home even going to an office part-time feels like a form of slavery. I think it's got to do with me having radical views and at the same time pretending to fit in, there's this big gap between the public and private personas and it was making me miserable. The best workplace I had was still hierarchical, and what seemed like a dream job to many people, to me was a source of misery and resentment.

Personal history aside, I think part-time work is almost always better. It is easy to be busy. Household tasks (cleaning, cooking, gardening, pet care), volunteering, or having any kind of interest fill up the time. 'Work' is good for you, but it has to be varied and meaningful. It might be different for people who find it hard to get out of the bed in the morning, but I don't think that a 40 hour week is a viable solution. I expect the 4-day week to be introduced in the near future, as the national mental health crisis mounts. None of my full-time colleagues were happy or healthy.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:44 PM
SAS Member

It really depends on individual circumstance I think. I thankfully have been able to work full-time for over 3 years now, but I started working part-time at 15 so I was already used to working. Unfortunately my recent depression has had a negative impact on my work performance though.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:44 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
The vast majority of people don't want to work full-time. Even normal, outgoing people. It's really tiring and sucks up all your time. Not healthy either. There's more stress, you eat unhealthy food to make yourself feel better, sit on your butt all day if it's a desk job, and then you are too tired after work to exercise or do anything useful.

But yeah, good luck supporting yourself on part-time work.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:09 AM
MAGA

Good point about sidestepping office politics by being part-time. Some of the worst aspects for SA of a full time job is problem coworkers in a place with a lousy blaming and gossipy work culture.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
It's sad, but I actually feel better at work. Time at home is nice, but too much time makes me stir-crazy.
Quote:
have more recently recognised the value in distraction and keeping myself busy.
work definitely "helps" with taking your mind off things, but i have a fair share of mental breakdowns every day that aren't outwardly noticeable and those are fcvking great, usually involving SA flaring up, existential dread panic attacks, perhaps a little gender dysphoria and a whole bunch of loneliness

vent over

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page