Is online confrontation one of your coping mechanisms? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Is online confrontation one of your coping mechanisms?
Yes 1 4.35%
No 19 82.61%
Other 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed

Is online confrontation one of your coping mechanisms?

This thread is not a statement of opinion. It's just a way for you to express yourself. Obviously, most people do not want to post on a forum where there is constant fighting. But it occurs to me that some people probably do go online looking for a confrontation.

I kind of doubt that many of the regs here do that but whatever. If you ever have this might be a good opportunity to examine something a lot of people probably never say out loud.

*Probably this question is not as carefully worded as it could be. I just crawled out of bed and remembered I was thinking about this the other day and thought it would be an interesting question. I figured I'd throw it out here while I'm thinking of it and hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Flying Backwards

I voted other because it's honestly been a really long time since I went online with the direct intention of getting into an argument. I pretty much only had the energy for that when I was a lot younger. It carried on for quite a while because I was used to it and it was hard to stop and let things go.

Anyway, yes. I've done it (as some here well know). I'm not sure if I think it was healthy or not. Probably wasn't good for the other people. I try not to now because arguing makes me tired and makes me feel like crap. I occasionally do the political thing but generally don't do it on SAS. I'm just not as passionate about anything as I used to be.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:24 PM
SAS Member

A few years ago, yes it definitely my go-to coping mechanism. My loneliness and SA back then were at all-time highs in my life. Now that I have a GF and have progressed a bit in my career, there are other things that occupy my mind rather than letting my SA always take over.

Nowadays, sometimes I do argue in sports-related forums, but not with the purpose of getting into a fight. More so to vent and as a form of release after a stressful day or to release negative energy in a way that is mostly acceptable (sports fan energy type of thing).

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:55 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I assume you mean as a way to cope with anxiety?

At any rate, for me the answer is no. I don't like confrontation, especially when I'm feeling bad.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
not as a coping mechanism, no.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Flying Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
I assume you mean as a way to cope with anxiety?

At any rate, for me the answer is no. I don't like confrontation, especially when I'm feeling bad.
I just mean in general. There are many things that people have to cope with.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 PM

Language: sarcasm
When I was less mature it used to be. I used to be a youtube comment crusader lol. Typically arguing about atheism or some really stupid stuff.

I think I was also active on some other site that I can't remember and I would debate atheism there as well.

Now I'm more passive but still just as ridiculous. I occasionally follow various drama so now I just watch other people argue instead of arguing myself.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:43 PM
Moron

I don't know.

Used to get in a lot of fights playing hockey, so I guess I need some form of outlet. I don't get a broken nose for arguing online.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 AM
'internet nerd'

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Yeah, I kind of feel this thread is about me tbh since I did this a few days ago.

I have always been confrontational/opinionated though and would be moreso if not for social anxiety, so it's not just a coping mechanism it is just a part of my personality anyway.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

"Who are you to change this world?
Silly boy!
No one needs to hear your words.
Let it go."
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:25 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Yeah, I kind of feel this thread is about me tbh since I did this a few days ago.

I have always been confrontational/opinionated though and would be moreso if not for social anxiety, so it's not just a coping mechanism it is just a part of my personality anyway.
Oh yeah sure, it's all about you isn't it and when the hell are you going to respond to my post about you and your magical portal in the lollipop thread!?
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:27 AM
'internet nerd'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
Oh yeah sure, it's all about you isn't it and when the hell are you going to respond to my post about you and your magical portal in the lollipop thread!?
How dare you I hadn't finished editing that post for the 286th time.

I did actually see the lollipop portal thing but I can't reveal my top secret plans.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.

🎸

Silly boy!
Let it go."
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Flying Backwards

Quote:
It wasn't. It's just an idea for a thread that has been gestating forever and I never was really interested in making any serious threads on SAS until recently. It pretty much came out of my regret for many of the things I've said to people over time. But also was just a genuine curiosity because it makes total sense that people who feel powerless might do this. Which, again, made me feel kind of bad about getting so angry at people who were probably doing this for that reason and I just saw it as someone being a dick.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:32 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Quote:
How dare you I hadn't finished editing that post for the 286th time.

I did actually see the lollipop portal thing but I can't reveal my top secret plans.
Yeah, ok.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
I used to be really bad for this. I still struggle with it at times.

It was never a conscious thing. I didn't decide to get into fights, I just did get into a lot of fights.

I was never big on politics or religion or things like that; I wouldn't usually get into fights with people over controversial subjects. The people I used to go after were the people who would pick on other people. Not so much because I felt bad for the person being picked on, but because I had so much stored up anger toward bullies. I would go around harassing people who spent their time harassing other people. Which is a game you can play forever.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:40 AM
'internet nerd'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
It wasn't. It's just an idea for a thread that has been gestating forever and I never was really interested in making any serious threads on SAS until recently. It pretty much came out of my regret for many of the things I've said to people over time. But also was just a genuine curiosity because it makes total sense that people who feel powerless might do this. Which, again, made me feel kind of bad about getting so angry at people who were probably doing this for that reason and I just saw it as someone being a dick.
Oh OK, well I'm definitely a dick anyway lol.

Quote:

🎸

Silly boy!
Let it go."
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:03 AM
'internet nerd'

And I've realised something else, about the conditional nature of people's opinions and the meaninglessness of everything I guess. If you piss someone off enough they will usually end up telling you to kill yourself and more generally few people really have any empathy or anything for anyone online and nothing means anything.

Quote:

🎸

Silly boy!
Let it go."
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:34 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I guess so, but not really sure though...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:33 PM
manic in Bali

Quote:
And I've realised something else, about the conditional nature of people's opinions and the meaninglessness of everything I guess. If you piss someone off enough they will usually end up telling you to kill yourself and more generally few people really have any empathy or anything for anyone online and nothing means anything.
I've never thought of you as a nasty person - your anger is more stated by you - I don't feel it. (if that makes sense) When people ask you something you usually reply in a decent way, and it's not hard to see the type of person you are. You definitely don't seem like you actually want to hurt of offend people. I get the sense you just spend too much time online. (no offence)
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:38 PM
Big Boo's Haunt

I voted "other".

I don't go out of my way to get into arguments - usually I barely even have an opinion, or if I do I don't care to argue it with someone who's not going to change their mind anyway. Don't have the energy for that artificial drama.

But if I'm feeling really lonely or invisible or rejected etc. then I will sometimes inject snarky comments or start with some sarcastic stuff to try and get someone to take the bait and either:
a) talk to me so I'm getting some form of (negative) attention, or
b) insult me so I can can feel the sweet sweet pain that I think I deserve in my negative spiral of self hatred.

**** you and your mandatory custom signature.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:47 PM
'internet nerd'

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I've never thought of you as a nasty person - your anger is more stated by you - I don't feel it. (if that makes sense) When people ask you something you usually reply in a decent way, and it's not hard to see the type of person you are. You definitely don't seem like you actually want to hurt of offend people. I get the sense you just spend too much time online. (no offence)
I'm not sure why you commented this in response to that particular post since I was talking about people in general but anyway I have a lot of anger and hatred for people but mostly in the sense that people are conduits for things I dislike. And tbh it's a bit annoying/patronising that most people can't see that unless they strongly dislike me (removing whatever bias is there for others.) I'm pretty sure I know why and the reason annoys me further (not going to highlight it here because I don't want to open up a discussion but it has been pointed out in a post before by someone who dislikes me.) But no I'm not just hatred and anger, but then neither is anyone.

Quote:

🎸

Silly boy!
Let it go."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page