Is it possible to make it through life without social connections? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Breezy

Is it possible to make it through life without social connections?

By that I mean with little to no friends? I feel having the support system of friends helps us to endure what life throws at us be it a health-scare or a divorce. Having friends definitely helps improve your mental health and physical health and without them I just don't see how anyone can make it.

If you've made it through most of your life(30+) without friends how have you coped?

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie101 View Post
By that I mean with little to no friends?
Not that I have seen.

Quote:
I feel having the support system of friends helps us to endure what life throws at us be it a health-scare or a divorce. Having friends definitely helps improve your mental health and physical health and without them I just don't see how anyone can make it.
I think you answered your own question here.

Quote:
If you've made it through most of your life(30+) without friends how have you coped?
Parents or family help out who have friends.

If don't have that, then friends help out when they can if not busy themselves.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:24 PM
SAS Member

Pretty miserable way to live - I had a lot more friends when I was younger and I need to contact a few of them more and stop being a dick-head.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:28 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
yes its possible. but I think most people want some interaction enough to get it. join clubs or meetups etc.

my parents hardly had friends as long as I remember. but they had animals and land and each other.

I've had few friends, mostly exs and meetup acquaintances. one friend now but that is also problematic.

if you're used to it I think it's not healthy but is tolerable and sometimes enjoyable to just be alone.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Pretty miserable way to live - I had a lot more friends when I was younger and I need to contact a few of them more and stop being a dick-head.
It is miserable.

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 07:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I think family and pets help some people. There are individuals who are genuinely asocial as well - I read the biography of this guy called Christopher Knight who lived alone in the woods for 27 years with literally zero human contact, besides a "hi" to a hiker who stumbled upon him once. (He burglarized nearby cabins to sustain himself). When authorities eventually caught and interrogated him, Knight insisted he had a good upbringing and family. And he had a sound mind. He just didn't like living amongst other people.

I didn't have friends for like 20 years... I coped partly by immersing myself in television shows, books, and stories. An imaginary life with imaginary friends, I suppose.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:08 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
It is miserable.
Definitely. We need to try and keep in touch with people. I'm a dick-head - I'm far too sensitive for my own good. I have/had a few friends when I was younger that I could count on for anything. People that would literally drop everything and come running if I needed them. I'm still in contact with a couple of them but I cut one or two off - for various reasons. I'm thinking of contacting the main one again though now I'm stronger. He's been through a lot himself - more than me actually. Life's too short for all this bull****.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:02 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I won't say that it's impossible, but it is very hard for nowdays...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:39 AM
SAS Member

I wouldn't recommend living without social connections. Solitude and time alone can be healthy for various reasons but too much starts getting unhealthy and scary.

The only social life I really get now a days is at work or with family which feels different to when I was a kid, we had no responsibilities and were care free.

Things change after having kids especially in some countries that have less of a focus on family/community/social life and are more grounded on economic matters. The balance just isn't there.

Everyone is busy in there own lives though. Maybe that's just life..or the way things are now...unfortunately.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page