Is having an Anxiety disorder a good reason to not consider to myself a coward or *****? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:15 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Is having an Anxiety disorder a good reason to not consider to myself a coward or *****? I was picked on in middle school and high school pretty bad and really regret not standing up for myself back then. Im 41 years old now. Was not diagnosed with social anxiety disorder until around 25 years old so Im pretty darn sure my disorder is the main reason I could not stand up for myself. My symptoms in school were pretty bad. Trembling and shaking in class if I had to give a class presenatation. Or I would simply try to skip class to avoid doing it. Had few friends if any.

Didn't help my mindset any that my dad would call me a ***** and coward for not standing up for myself. Wasant an overall bad farther but on this particular issue he had no sympathy or understanding at all. Guess environment he was raised in you were expected to fight or it was the worst thing ever. Not that I think about it Anxiety disorders have a big genetic component so a lot of it can be blamed on the bad genetic hand he dealt me.

Anyway so I have accepted that with my disorder was the main reason I did not deal with these bullying issues better. Say 75 percent of it. But I still feel that last 25 percent is on me and my fault and that I am a coward. Having a pretty severe social anxiety disorder does not completely let me off the hook. Im sure there are some people who had as had or worse anxiety disorders were able to handle it better. Guess I look back on it now and im still dealing with a lot of guilt and self blame. Any thoughts and can anyone relate. Thank you
Yeah this parenting style has produced such wonders as Myra Hindley:

Quote:
Hindley's father had served with the Parachute Regiment and had been stationed in North Africa, Cyprus and Italy during the Second World War.[115] He had been known in the army as a "hard man" and he expected his daughter to be equally tough; he taught her how to fight, and insisted that she "stick up for herself". When Hindley was 8, a local boy approached her in the street and scratched both of her cheeks with his fingernails, drawing blood. She burst into tears and ran into her parents' house, to be met by her father, who demanded that she "Go and punch him [the boy], because if you don't I'll leather you!" Hindley found the boy and succeeded in knocking him down with a sequence of punches, as her father had taught her. As she wrote later, "at eight years old I'd scored my first victory".[116]

Malcolm MacCulloch, professor of forensic psychiatry at Cardiff University, has suggested that the fight, and the part that Hindley's father played in it, may be "key pieces of evidence" in trying to understand Hindley's role in the Moors murders:

The relationship with her father brutalised her ... She was not only used to violence in the home but rewarded for it outside. When this happens at a young age it can distort a person's reaction to such situations for life.[117]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Yeah this parenting style has produced such wonders as Myra Hindley:
Thanks for the response. Never heard of the Hindley case before now. That shows the downside of this kind of parenting style. It rewards you for being violent later in life. The Hindley case is an extreme example I would say though. I guess the question is how does it turn out for the average child who is raised with this parenting style? Obviously most don't turn out to be serial killers but probably have other bad outcomes.

In my personal situation my dad used this style of parenting. But his dad I know did it the same way with him so it is probably what he thought was normal.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Update to this post. Been taking boxing lessons and learning to defend myself like some people on here suggested. Ive taken about 6 lessons. Hard workout and a good coach who is really encouraging and tries to build your self confidence.

Makes me wonder why the hell my dad didnt think of this back when I was being bullied. May not have helped with the social anxiety itself but perhaps with self confidence and being able to defend myself. I think I remember my mom suggesting martial arts(Asian martial arts like karate or Kung Fu) and my dad saying that's a fancy way of fighting and kicking is for P. All you need to do is throw punches and we are making stuff to complicated. But then again he really never got off his butt and taught me how to box either. Instead of insulting me he should have just taken me to martial arts or boxing lessons. Well none of this stuff matters now I guess just venting.

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 12:27 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Update to this post. Been taking boxing lessons and learning to defend myself like some people on here suggested. Ive taken about 6 lessons. Hard workout and a good coach who is really encouraging and tries to build your self confidence.

Makes me wonder why the hell my dad didnt think of this back when I was being bullied. May not have helped with the social anxiety itself but perhaps with self confidence and being able to defend myself. I think I remember my mom suggesting martial arts(Asian martial arts like karate or Kung Fu) and my dad saying that's a fancy way of fighting and kicking is for P. All you need to do is throw punches and we are making stuff to complicated. But then again he really never got off his butt and taught me how to box either. Instead of insulting me he should have just taken me to martial arts or boxing lessons. Well none of this stuff matters now I guess just venting.
Glad to hear your confidence is getting a bit better mate. That must have been horrible to have your father talk to you like that. (what a prick) no offence.

He should have come along with you and brought a baseball bat.
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Glad to hear your confidence is getting a bit better mate. That must have been horrible to have your father talk to you like that. (what a prick) no offence.

He should have come along with you and brought a baseball bat.
Thanks. Yea him talking to me like that did not do me any favors confidence wise for sure.

Bringing a baseball bat may have been going a bit overboard but he could have tried to give me some positive encourage or something like that. Teach me how to fight. Instead of just telling me to handle is myself
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:08 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Is having an Anxiety disorder a good reason to not consider to myself a coward or *****? I was picked on in middle school and high school pretty bad and really regret not standing up for myself back then. Im 41 years old now. Was not diagnosed with social anxiety disorder until around 25 years old so Im pretty darn sure my disorder is the main reason I could not stand up for myself. My symptoms in school were pretty bad. Trembling and shaking in class if I had to give a class presenatation. Or I would simply try to skip class to avoid doing it. Had few friends if any.

Didn't help my mindset any that my dad would call me a ***** and coward for not standing up for myself. Wasant an overall bad farther but on this particular issue he had no sympathy or understanding at all. Guess environment he was raised in you were expected to fight or it was the worst thing ever. Not that I think about it Anxiety disorders have a big genetic component so a lot of it can be blamed on the bad genetic hand he dealt me.

Anyway so I have accepted that with my disorder was the main reason I did not deal with these bullying issues better. Say 75 percent of it. But I still feel that last 25 percent is on me and my fault and that I am a coward. Having a pretty severe social anxiety disorder does not completely let me off the hook. Im sure there are some people who had as had or worse anxiety disorders were able to handle it better. Guess I look back on it now and im still dealing with a lot of guilt and self blame. Any thoughts and can anyone relate. Thank you

You know what I think? I think your dad is not helping. I have always thought of it this way, That our strength is not defined by the way in which we handle people or situations or even how we stand up for ourselves, but In the very idea that we are VERY strong people for enduring the things that we have had to endure throughout our entire time here on earth. People who have mental illness of any kind, especially anxiety are VERY VERY strong! And you know why? Because we are able to live with the things that normal people don't. For normal people, it's easy, that's not to say that they don't have struggles in life, but they do not have to go through as much of the struggle that we have had to. Just think of all of the times you have endured so much anxiety. Normal people don't usually have to deal with that. In my opinion, you're a freakin' warrior! We all are. No, we aren't crazy or freaks! We are people who have the ability to survive through these hardships.

In addition to this, we learn. Yeah, we may get pushed down to the ground by our anxiety, our mental ilnesses or even our bullies, but we get up and stronger than ever before! You may have not stood up for yourself in the past (I know I haven't), but you are learning to.

I am probably in no position to give advice because I'm 20, but I was bullied so bad that I got ptsd. I NEVER stood up for myself and I remember the very first time, in first grade, a boy pushed me down to the ground and I just backed away and told him to leave me alone. That same boy bullied me in 6th grade, Then I was bullied by a girl. She spread rumors about me to the whole school. I was very close to telling the counselor and I almost did, but something held me back. It was this fear that those girls would come back for me and in a worse way than before. Looking back at it, I regret it so much! I now know the importance of standing up for myself, but the thing is, you fail and you learn. Each time you fall you get back up and learn how to deal with it better than you ever have before. I remember that three girls in the hospital where I had been hospitalized had kept trying to slam the doors on my hands and oh man! I got so angry that I called the girl a b#tch right there in front of everyone! I called her out for everything she was doing which included talking trash about me and she got written up! She never messed with me again!

Anyway, I hope you understand what I'm saying. All I know is that you become stronger through each of these encounters with bullies. They push you down, but you have the choice to get up or stay down and let them step all over you. It's up to you.

All that matters is that you stand up for yourself now, the past is in the past.(it's all just memories in your head) Not even the future is real, until you make it happen.

H.P.
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 12:27 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Thanks. Yea him talking to me like that did not do me any favors confidence wise for sure.

Bringing a baseball bat may have been going a bit overboard but he could have tried to give me some positive encourage or something like that. Teach me how to fight. Instead of just telling me to handle is myself
Yeah, sorry about that - I tend to get a bit carried away.

My son went through a bit of bullying when he was a little man, only about 10 or so. Some of the kids were being really nasty to him - even the girls. Calling him names etc. It's very hard to see your son so upset - but also a very difficult situation to deal with, especially when you're just talking about little kids.

I ended up taking him right out of the school. I moved him to one up the road and then we went to some counselling for a while together. The school actually provided it for free. I'll never forget seeing his little face every morning going off to his new school - like a stone mask, he was very determined. That was a tough time.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 12:35 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherGrey View Post
You know what I think? I think your dad is not helping. I have always thought of it this way, That our strength is not defined by the way in which we handle people or situations or even how we stand up for ourselves, but In the very idea that we are VERY strong people for enduring the things that we have had to endure throughout our entire time here on earth. People who have mental illness of any kind, especially anxiety are VERY VERY strong! And you know why? Because we are able to live with the things that normal people don't. For normal people, it's easy, that's not to say that they don't have struggles in life, but they do not have to go through as much of the struggle that we have had to. Just think of all of the times you have endured so much anxiety. Normal people don't usually have to deal with that. In my opinion, you're a freakin' warrior! We all are. No, we aren't crazy or freaks! We are people who have the ability to survive through these hardships.

In addition to this, we learn. Yeah, we may get pushed down to the ground by our anxiety, our mental ilnesses or even our bullies, but we get up and stronger than ever before! You may have not stood up for yourself in the past (I know I haven't), but you are learning to.

I am probably in no position to give advice because I'm 20, but I was bullied so bad that I got ptsd. I NEVER stood up for myself and I remember the very first time, in first grade, a boy pushed me down to the ground and I just backed away and told him to leave me alone. That same boy bullied me in 6th grade, Then I was bullied by a girl. She spread rumors about me to the whole school. I was very close to telling the counselor and I almost did, but something held me back. It was this fear that those girls would come back for me and in a worse way than before. Looking back at it, I regret it so much! I now know the importance of standing up for myself, but the thing is, you fail and you learn. Each time you fall you get back up and learn how to deal with it better than you ever have before. I remember that three girls in the hospital where I had been hospitalized had kept trying to slam the doors on my hands and oh man! I got so angry that I called the girl a b#tch right there in front of everyone! I called her out for everything she was doing which included talking trash about me and she got written up! She never messed with me again!

Anyway, I hope you understand what I'm saying. All I know is that you become stronger through each of these encounters with bullies. They push you down, but you have the choice to get up or stay down and let them step all over you. It's up to you.

All that matters is that you stand up for yourself now, the past is in the past.(it's all just memories in your head) Not even the future is real, until you make it happen.
That's a great post. Sorry to hear you had a hard time at school. I was lucky when I was little - I was a very cheeky little kid and used to get into punch-ups all the time, I never had any trouble with bullying.

And what you say about us being strong is exactly right. I was just thinking that the other day. I think I'm bloody strong - all the crap I've been through and even just surviving all the things I've done. Sometimes I'm amazed I'm even still here. Probably a fair bit of luck there though as well.
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Y I have always thought of it this way, That our strength is not defined by the way in which we handle people or situations or even how we stand up for ourselves, but In the very idea that we are VERY strong people for enduring the things that we have had to endure throughout our entire time here on earth. People who have mental illness of any kind, especially anxiety are VERY VERY strong! And you know why? Because we are able to live with the things that normal people don't. For normal people, it's easy, that's not to say that they don't have struggles in life, but they do not have to go through as much of the struggle that we have had to. Just think of all of the times you have endured so much anxiety. Normal people don't usually have to deal with that. In my opinion, you're a freakin' warrior! We all are. No, we aren't crazy or freaks! We are people who have the ability to survive through these hardships.
Very well thought out and said. I totally agree. We are tough and strong because we survived and made it through all the difficult things we had to endure. Normal people are not as mentally tough for the most part because they don't have to face the challenges that we do dealing with our mental illness.
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 02:00 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
Having a big strong father is no good. My father was big and strong and respected (or even feared due to his strong character) in his younger years. He changed once I was born, he got softer but I heard all the stories of how he was before I was born, what a guy, I thought as a kid!
I wanted to be the same but didn't have it in me, I was in fact the exact opposite both mentally and physically. I'm now a useless middle aged pathetic man with no voice and even less ambition and goals. I simply can't handle life, it's too heavy for me to lift. My frail shoulder's will one day collapse. I'm so pathetic that I still live off of his money. He must be sorely disappointed yet he doesn't even show this, so soft. Change it? I can't, I got no spine.
He could have done more, for example throw me in the deep, he didn't, he became too soft. I can blame him but why should I, we all make mistakes, his was not deliberate.

If by some completely unexpected drastic change I produce a kid I will make sure to be hard on him/her. Being soft creates soft people.
I don't know you're Dad mate (or you), but I think it's sad you call him soft. It sounds to me like he loves you. That's something that should be treasured above all else. Maybe he could have tried to encourage you to get out there a bit more - but in the end it's you that has to do it, not him.

And being "soft" as you call it - creates someone that loves you. (usually) If he'd have thrown you out in the street or treated you badly you would have hated him, or possibly turned out worse.
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
He could have done more, for example throw me in the deep, he didn't, he became too soft. I can blame him but why should I, we all make mistakes, his was not deliberate.

If by some completely unexpected drastic change I produce a kid I will make sure to be hard on him/her. Being soft creates soft people.
Well my dad was a real a hole and not "soft" and that didn't turn out well. So I think people need a father who is not to extreme in either direction. Soft when it comes to supporting you but hard when it comes to discipline when you need it
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 05:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
I think the way you react to people and how they treat you goes deeper than anxiety, it's more your character than anything, but can also vary person to person. I have social anxiety but I would have no issues standing up for myself if need be, but some one else might not feel the same. I think not standing up for yourself is just a characteristic where you are just not confrontational. There's nothing wrong with either of these scenarios either as long as you're taking care of yourself at the end of the day whether that involves sticking up for yourself or not - some are perfectly okay with not saying anything back to these people that mistreat you. It all comes down to how you see yourself and feel about yourself sans opinions of others.
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Our strength is not defined by the way in which we handle people or situations or even how we stand up for ourselves, but In the very idea that we are VERY strong people for enduring the things that we have had to endure throughout our entire time here on earth. People who have mental illness of any kind, especially anxiety are VERY VERY strong! And you know why? Because we are able to live with the things that normal people don't. For normal people, it's easy, that's not to say that they don't have struggles in life, but they do not have to go through as much of the struggle that we have had to. Just think of all of the times you have endured so much anxiety. Normal people don't usually have to deal with that. In my opinion, you're a freakin' warrior! We all are. No, we aren't crazy or freaks! We are people who have the ability to survive through these hardships.
Very well said. I need to start thinking of myself as strong for all the crap I have had to endure due to my mental illness. A lot of "normal people" would not have been able to deal with the struggles we had to go through and would have given up. I would certainly consider myself to be resilient. Im able to withstand difficult conditions. Well at least not completely fall apart from them anyway.

I read somewhere that "toughness is about managing and dealing with stress over the short term, whilst resilience is about managing and dealing with stress over the long term."

So I guess I was not tough for dealing with the bullies or my father the way I did but I was resilient in the way I handled it in the long run.
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Very well said. I need to start thinking of myself as strong for all the crap I have had to endure due to my mental illness. A lot of "normal people" would not have been able to deal with the struggles we had to go through and would have given up. I would certainly consider myself to be resilient. Im able to withstand difficult conditions. Well at least not completely fall apart from them anyway.

I read somewhere that "toughness is about managing and dealing with stress over the short term, whilst resilience is about managing and dealing with stress over the long term."

So I guess I was not tough for dealing with the bullies or my father the way I did but I was resilient in the way I handled it in the long run.
Yes! That's the spirit! You're still here and what matters most is now!

H.P.
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old Today, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:

but I was bullied so bad that I got ptsd.
So sorry you had to go through that. I think I probaly have PTSD from it as well. Have you gotten treatment for it that really helped? What worked for you to get better?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page