Is anxiety really just the way of us feeling other people's energies? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Is anxiety really just the way of us feeling other people's energies?

I am an average looking person, don't dress too crazy but even on days I look dressed down, I get these intense stares. Evenn my friends have noticed it, people stare at me just a bit longer than they should. I notice it at the strangest times. Ill be looking down the opposite way or focused on something and when I look ahead, someone is facing me with their eyes dead on me. I wouldn't even say its a type of person - it's young girls, women, older men, young guys.

Today I was out and there was two young guys and a young girl and they kept peering over at me whilst I was eating. I was with my family at the time. I tried so hard to block it out but it bothered me. Everytime I stood up, they stared and everytime I spoke, they turned their heads. This happens to me a lot. Am I imagining this?
I feel like I'm so aware of everyone's energies around me, it's so strange. Another quick example: I'm on a bus talking to my mum and this guy was sitting there watching my every word like following the words out of my mouth.

I've learnt to deal with this a lot better lately but I just want to understand why it happens. I observe others to see how others react to them - most of the time the person will give them a quick glance then look away and keep doing what there doing. With me, I honestly feel like people are looking at me so intensely. It's almost as if they are studying me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 12:49 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
It's funny I've thought that a few times, alot of people are so overstimulated these days its crazy.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 01:20 PM
SAS Member

Doesn't really sound like energy. You're noticing a physical action- that is weird. Why are people so weird? If I noticed people staring at me nonstop I would feel uneasy too

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 01:56 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Yeah I've wondered this a few times (without thinking of the word energy.) I think there are sensory processing abnormalities associated in many cases where people develop social anxiety disorder and selective mutism. Some research has noticed that connection, but also probably misinterpretation of the information due to theory of mind abnormalities.

I think there's a connection between information filtering particularly around potential threats and anxiety too.

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 02:37 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
I'm socially anxious even when I'm alone, so... I'm not sure what it has to do with people's "energies," whatever that means.

I also don't understand what people staring at one has to do with "energies." Just sounds like people being annoying.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 09:42 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belee25 View Post
I am an average looking person, don't dress too crazy but even on days I look dressed down, I get these intense stares. Evenn my friends have noticed it, people stare at me just a bit longer than they should. I notice it at the strangest times. Ill be looking down the opposite way or focused on something and when I look ahead, someone is facing me with their eyes dead on me. I wouldn't even say its a type of person - it's young girls, women, older men, young guys.

Today I was out and there was two young guys and a young girl and they kept peering over at me whilst I was eating. I was with my family at the time. I tried so hard to block it out but it bothered me. Everytime I stood up, they stared and everytime I spoke, they turned their heads. This happens to me a lot. Am I imagining this?
I feel like I'm so aware of everyone's energies around me, it's so strange. Another quick example: I'm on a bus talking to my mum and this guy was sitting there watching my every word like following the words out of my mouth.

I've learnt to deal with this a lot better lately but I just want to understand why it happens. I observe others to see how others react to them - most of the time the person will give them a quick glance then look away and keep doing what there doing. With me, I honestly feel like people are looking at me so intensely. It's almost as if they are studying me.
I am unlike u. I dont always notice people who have dead eyes on me. I get peered sometimes if i bring something unusual out like a fancy portable fan. But it was just several glances by people.

My tips is not to focus too much people surrounding from you. Just focus on what you are gonna do or kill the time by looking at your phone for messages or video games. Or try to keep yourself busy. Most of the time, when you are idle , you will unconsciously notice others around you more.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 10:18 PM
SAS Member

My personal opinion is that anxiety is just an evolutionary anachronism left over from when it was useful because we lived in the wild and not being hyper aware could mean death and now some of us for whichever set of reasons experience too much of it when it's no longer useful.

In my experience when I was younger I felt very similarly to you, that people seemed to notice or look at me too much for no apparent reason. As I grew older and my issues shifted from that specific form of social anxiety I stopped noticing anything remotely like that.

Our reality is what we perceive it to be, nothing more and nothing less.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:29 AM
SAS Member

This happens to me too, but I think for me it was because I was always very self-conscious and I was always worried that other people might be looking at me or talking about me, so I would always pay attention to other people to see if they were looking at me and I think that's why I felt like everyone was staring at me, because I was so focused on what other people thought of me and how they were reacting to me. Do you think maybe that could be a reason? And I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the way you look, you are beautiful just the way you are 🙂

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page