Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Is anxiety really just the way of us feeling other people's energies?

703 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Emily29 
#1 ·
I am an average looking person, don't dress too crazy but even on days I look dressed down, I get these intense stares. Evenn my friends have noticed it, people stare at me just a bit longer than they should. I notice it at the strangest times. Ill be looking down the opposite way or focused on something and when I look ahead, someone is facing me with their eyes dead on me. I wouldn't even say its a type of person - it's young girls, women, older men, young guys.

Today I was out and there was two young guys and a young girl and they kept peering over at me whilst I was eating. I was with my family at the time. I tried so hard to block it out but it bothered me. Everytime I stood up, they stared and everytime I spoke, they turned their heads. This happens to me a lot. Am I imagining this?
I feel like I'm so aware of everyone's energies around me, it's so strange. Another quick example: I'm on a bus talking to my mum and this guy was sitting there watching my every word like following the words out of my mouth.

I've learnt to deal with this a lot better lately but I just want to understand why it happens. I observe others to see how others react to them - most of the time the person will give them a quick glance then look away and keep doing what there doing. With me, I honestly feel like people are looking at me so intensely. It's almost as if they are studying me.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's funny I've thought that a few times, alot of people are so overstimulated these days its crazy.

#4 ·
Yeah I've wondered this a few times (without thinking of the word energy.) I think there are sensory processing abnormalities associated in many cases where people develop social anxiety disorder and selective mutism. Some research has noticed that connection, but also probably misinterpretation of the information due to theory of mind abnormalities.

I think there's a connection between information filtering particularly around potential threats and anxiety too.

#5 ·
I'm socially anxious even when I'm alone, so... :um I'm not sure what it has to do with people's "energies," whatever that means.

I also don't understand what people staring at one has to do with "energies." :| Just sounds like people being annoying.

#6 ·
I am unlike u. I dont always notice people who have dead eyes on me. I get peered sometimes if i bring something unusual out like a fancy portable fan. But it was just several glances by people.

My tips is not to focus too much people surrounding from you. Just focus on what you are gonna do or kill the time by looking at your phone for messages or video games. Or try to keep yourself busy. Most of the time, when you are idle , you will unconsciously notice others around you more.

#7 ·
This happens to me too, but I think for me it was because I was always very self-conscious and I was always worried that other people might be looking at me or talking about me, so I would always pay attention to other people to see if they were looking at me and I think that's why I felt like everyone was staring at me, because I was so focused on what other people thought of me and how they were reacting to me. Do you think maybe that could be a reason? And I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the way you look, you are beautiful just the way you are 🙂

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.