Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Coping With Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/)
-   -   Interview (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/interview-2226965/)

Lisa1 09-08-2019 03:52 PM

Interview

I have an interview in a week's time. Can someone please give me tips on how they were able to cope with nerves, because I always mess up because I'm so nervous. I have never worked before, how do I make the best impression. And how can I show enthusiasm, even though I am not really excited, but just want the job?

Lyssia 09-08-2019 10:39 PM

Hi there - congrats on getting out there for an interview!
Lean forward in your chair, smile, ask questions about the company, shake hands firmly.

Lisa1 09-08-2019 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyssia (Post 1093800263)
Hi there - congrats on getting out there for an interview!
Lean forward in your chair, smile, ask questions about the company, shake hands firmly.

Thank you very much.

chrisinmd 09-09-2019 02:18 AM

Make sure you dress nice and be on time would be my first suggestion. Very important.

Job interviews are always nerve racking. I have one on Tuesday actually. To relax try not to put to much pressure on yourself. A lot of things have to go right to get a job. If they interview 10 people and you do great and come in second you still don't get the job. So there is a lot you cannot control. Just do your best it is good to get the experience under your belt no matter how it ends up. What type of job is it? Good luck

Lisa1 09-09-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinmd (Post 1093800337)
Make sure you dress nice and be on time would be my first suggestion. Very important.

Job interviews are always nerve racking. I have one on Tuesday actually. To relax try not to put to much pressure on yourself. A lot of things have to go right to get a job. If they interview 10 people and you do great and come in second you still don't get the job. So there is a lot you cannot control. Just do your best it is good to get the experience under your belt no matter how it ends up. What type of job is it? Good luck

Thank you. Good luck with your interview. A finance position.

Unforgiven17 09-09-2019 09:32 AM

Research the company and prepare for any questions that you think will come up.

Why do you want this job?
Why do you want to work for us?
How would you deal with a disagreement between yourself and a member of staff/customer?
How would you prioritise your workload?
What can you offer us that other people cannot?
When have you worked as part of a team?

Maybe google some finance related interview questions as its not my field.

Enthusiasm and a willingness to be part of the team goes a long way I have found in getting a job.

Good luck.

harrison 09-09-2019 02:59 PM

God I hate interviews. I guess we're supposed to pretend we actually want to do the job, and are vaguely interested in their business. Which I'm not. I would have even less chance at interviews now than when I was young. I could pretend back then - especially if I'd had some Xanax.

I used to find them very nerve-wracking. Hopefully you'll be better at it than I was. Good luck and just do what a few of the people above said.

Don 09-09-2019 03:57 PM

Try and use it as a learning experience even if it goes bad. I keep letting job interviews hit me too hard afterwords and I end up checking out of life and staying in my room for few days.

PandaBearx 09-09-2019 04:24 PM

Make note of your strong points and weak points (that is a strong point) I like to say I'm a perfectionist and go over work twice to make sure it's perfect and then go on to say how that may take a bit more time, but it's important to me that I make sure everything is in order. Deep breath, try not to put too much pressure on this one interview and know there are loads of other doors open to you. Just do the best you can, maybe look up potential questions that may be asked, or questions you can ask. If it's any kind of reassurance majority of the population is nervous about job interviews. I remember on one occasion I literally had a full on panic attack and cried in my car before hand. At that point I was just doing it for anxiety exposure. Somehow got hired, but fun times lol.

Best of luck to you, I hope you do great! :high5

Dispatch 09-09-2019 05:55 PM

Hello. I’ve been experimenting with using over the counter supplements for anxiety ... my main goal is to try and slow down my racing thoughts. I’ve found that if I don’t have all of these crazy scenarios flying around in my head, I actually feel kind of “normal “ if you will. I’m able to at least communicate somewhat, even look people in the eye ... I do know I seem to be pretty sensitive to not only what and how the person I’m talking to is saying but also their inflection on how they are saying it ... also, I think I’m more sensitive to a persons facial expression as well ( I just recently read this about people with SA and how sensitive we can be to facial expressions which sometimes causes us anxiety )
So, anyways I would suggest getting an over the counter supplement with Ashwagandha , L-theanine and magnesium in the ingredients ... maybe double up on the dose the day of your interview .., the idea is to calm your mind as much as possible ... if you are calm you can do anything ... am I right ?
Good luck ! You’ll be fine !