Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Coping With Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/)
-   -   Instagram Has Destroyed Me. (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/instagram-has-destroyed-me-2223763/)

Cool Ice Dude55 05-22-2019 02:50 PM

Instagram Has Destroyed Me.

IG has given me so much insufferable anxiety that it's been really hard to live. It all started when loads of people from work started following me. And because of that I got loads of social anxiety. Feeling like I could no longer post like I could before, because I didn't want my coworkers to see the real me.

But I got a kick out of people noticing me finally! So I Started chasing likes like nothing else. Please can random people I have no idea who validate my existance please? And if heaven forbid something didn't get the right ammount of likes I'd go to delete, and repost at a more Instragram heavy time hoping no-one noticed.

I was possessed. I got an Unfollow app and saw loads of people i knew from work unfollowed me which gave me CRAZY anxiety. What did I do to deserve that?

When I meet people and follow them and they didn't follow me back that gave me SO MUCH anxiety. Like why haven't they followed me back? We just met and had a good conversation. Why on earth wouldn't they follow me back? The unknowing drove me crazy.

I discovered the 'Friends Activity' tab and saw my friends liking other peoples pictures but not mind...what's the deal? Anxietttty.

When my friends don't watch my story or vote my poll...why? There's just so much why not's which give me all the anxiety. And the opposite when the wrong people like my pic/watch my story...Anxiety.

When someone doesn't reply to my DM but I can see they've been online. Wtf????

It was once my creative outlet but now I've stopped taking photos for ME and purely how I think they're gonna look on IG.
I know how fake and fabricated it is. Nothing you see on IG is real. It's filtered to buggery, and every photo is staged and unnatural. People compare their lives to staged photos, and I feel guilty because I've contributed to it.

This app has well and truly gotten to my head. I'm addicted, but all the emotions it's given me are stress, paranoia, dread, and anxiety. I don't feel any positivity from the app. So why am I using it? I've tried deactivating, uninstalling the app but I always come back.

I've NEVER had this anxiety with any other website/app. Not even Facebook. The ironic thing is I've abandoned FB but FB is where all my real friends and loved ones are but I don't care for their validation? I want the validation of strangers. IG was so much better for me when only 2 people followed me!

I have an addictive personaility, I can't wean or deactive. I did deactivate for 7 days which was really good for me but I was always looking forward to coming back.

I know the option is to delete permanently. I can download my archive so that's no big. But I feel anxious deleting because I might miss some important announcement from my fave celebs/bands. The BIG PROB IS there's people I've met that I wanna stay in touch with but I only have them on IG. These people arent people I talk to on the regular, so I was thinking of sending a blanket DM to all of them saying if you want to keep in touch hmu on fb, but then I think what if they don't hit me up? And then I lose them forever. What if they think i'm being attention seeking?What if they don't like me at all and don't hmu on there? The social anxiety from not being added would make me keel over. BUT at least i'd find out who my real friends are. So idk. There's no way I can deactivate cuz the temptations always there, deleting is final. I know it's the right thing, but I dont know if I can right now.

TL;dr I'm addicted to Instagram even though it makes me feel like sh\*\*. It's destroyed me mentally, and the only option is to delete but I get anxiety losing touch with ppl and the liklehood they wouldn't want to keep in touch and I'd lose them forever, and always wonder why they didn't hmu elsewhere.

versikk 05-22-2019 09:34 PM

Do you genuinely get a connection with people thru Instagram or is it just likes and crap?
Posted via Mobile Device

Silent Memory 05-22-2019 09:53 PM

If you’re addicted to it and it’s making you feel bad about yourself and giving you anxiety, the best thing you can do is delete it, even though it will be hard for you.

The people who haven’t followed you back might not realise it’s your account. Are you in the profile picture? Some people like to keep their Instagram accounts private, and if they don’t know who you are, they might not accept, or they might accept to be nice and then unfollow when they think you won’t notice.

The people you want to keep in contact with who you’ve met on there might not feel comfortable adding you on Facebook because it can be more personal than Instagram with real names, where they live, people they know and people in their family. If they don’t add you, it doesn’t mean they don’t like you, and isn’t something you should take personally. They might not see you as a friend if you don’t talk to them regularly (you said you don’t).

You could find things in common with the people you don’t want to lose, ask them if they have a texting app like Kik or WhatsApp, and then ask if it’s okay to add them there. This way you won’t need to add them on Facebook and they’ll be more comfortable adding you.

You have Facebook, so you won’t need to worry about missing the announcements the celebrities you follow might make. They’ll post them on there as well, and might even post something on YouTube.

Monter 05-23-2019 04:33 AM

Give me your user name i will follow you

Cool Ice Dude55 05-23-2019 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Memory (Post 1093724127)

The people you want to keep in contact with who youíve met on there might not feel comfortable adding you on Facebook because it can be more personal than Instagram with real names, where they live, people they know and people in their family. If they donít add you, it doesnít mean they donít like you, and isnít something you should take personally. They might not see you as a friend if you donít talk to them regularly (you said you donít).

That's true. I never thought of that actually. Anyway, I'm just going through a mental breakdown and I only wanna make final decisions when i'm out of it. I think I'm gonna deactivate and uninstall for now, and wait till i'm fully recovered to make my decision.

versikk 05-23-2019 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 (Post 1093724395)
I only wanna make final decisions when i'm out of it. I think I'm gonna deactivate and uninstall for now, and wait till i'm fully recovered to make my decision.

Perfect strategy
Posted via Mobile Device

EmotionlessThug 05-23-2019 10:08 AM

The members on Instagram are waiting for people to acknowledge their loneliness through an archive of photos and disadvantageness in order to validate their awareness, while social experiment book profiles avatar people responses into files of time and events to get them to talk about their fake thoughts and fake feelings to initiate conversations.

rabidfoxes 05-23-2019 10:19 AM

To hell with Instagram. Op, you're handling it. Your analysis is great and all you need to do now is slap your wrist whenever you start typing anything starting with "ins" into your browser. Goodbye instant noodles and insomnia support pages. But it will all be better in the end.

Here's a like.

Harveykinkle 05-23-2019 12:03 PM

I only use instagram to look at other people's photos and I rarely do it. To do it myself, especially putting photos of myself and/or under my actual name, would give me a ton of anxiety and cause OCD behavior.

twitchy666 05-23-2019 12:26 PM

TOYS

this world of toys only
for everyone

prettiness = no.1 priority to each human being.

virtual glamour of colours

which class of toy?
JCB
Ship
crane
tank with gun barrel
chopper
anything without a screeen!

firelight 05-23-2019 09:07 PM

I can understand the obsessive compulsion. Clearly instagram does you more harm than good, so I think the best thing is to make it as hard for yourself to check it as possible. Start with deleting your account, but also use plugins or host file if you're one windows to block the url. I've done this before with my obsessions in the past, and just having that barrier to entry often helps check the compulsion.

Cool Ice Dude55 05-24-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidfoxes (Post 1093724525)
To hell with Instagram. Op, you're handling it. Your analysis is great and all you need to do now is slap your wrist whenever you start typing anything starting with "ins" into your browser. Goodbye instant noodles and insomnia support pages. But it will all be better in the end.

Here's a like.

Thank you :smile2:

W00DBINE 05-25-2019 06:59 AM

Social media can be bad thing, only a few follow me from work but I notice if none of them like my posts I begin to obsess why they didn't like it then maybe delete the picture, like you one (ex) ''friend'' blocked me and it affected me more than it should have.

Island girl 05-25-2019 08:45 AM

I know exactly what you're talking about I deleted my Facebook page and my Instagram account because people at work and my husbands friends and families started following me. Everything I posted I constantly checking to see if anyone liked it and if they didn't anxiety or anyone that doesn't like my posts I unfollowed them so i can't see theirs either till I get to the point where I was tired of all of it and sometimes I feel like I don't want to see anyone at all so I just deleted both apps and permanently closed the accounts and I have no Intentions of getting them back