post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

In need of healthier coping mechanisms

In order
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:06 PM
SAS Member

I watched my roomate use the same self medicating techniques...the alcohol and the marijuana. She started smoking every day, and self medicated for her anxiety and panic attacks.
It seems like it may have been a bit scary to step back and take a look at how you are dealing with the social anxiety. Looks like you recently had a realization that the ways you are self medicating may not be something you want to continue doing. I guess the title of your post says a lot in terms of looking for "healthier" coping mechanisms.
I guess what I got from your post is that you may have adjusted socially and psychologically to the physical feeling of being high or drunk. It's hard because now that you realize you want a healthier way of dealing with social anxiety, you may have to start over. That probably seems like a really difficult task, but it looks like it is something you are really wanting to do.
So there are some obvious healthy coping mechanisms, like exercise and therapy....but finding a coping mechanism can be a really personal thing, especially since it seems like you are starting from scratch!
First, I'm wondering what kind of things do you enjoy doing, like hobbies. Or maybe you need to start to explore the things you enjoy doing as your unmedicated self. This could be a first step.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
SAS Member

I used to smoke marijuana a lot when I was younger, but once I stopped it just became unappealing. I realized how much time I wasted, and it really bugged me. It also makes me very anxious.

Do you have any hobbies? I would suggest finding productive and enjoyable things to fill your time. I don't have that much of a social life (I know what you mean about it being difficult to be social without drugs) but I am really a lot happier now.

What are your interests?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:57 AM
awake at midnight

Drug friends are never your real friends. But you know that. The trouble with smoking is you end up hiding behind your bong.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 PM
SAS Member

I know exactly what you mean. That is how I was in the first part of highschool. Pot and somewhat alcohol allowed me to be social. It wasn't even really being high, it was the comfort of knowing how to interact with people (watching half-baked, listening to Pink Floyd, etc.)
But like you I came to realize that I neglected other parts of my life. Again, I don't have that much of a social life anymore, but I am really much happier than I was. I really enjoy going for long walks by myself, reading, watching movies (indie and foreign) as well as many other things. I don't have as many friends, but I am still friends with my real friends, and have found other ways to interact socially.
When I do go to a party or bar, or something like that, I do for the most part have a good time, but I usually leave feeling drained and depressed, and I regret the fact that I could have been watching an Ingmar Bergman film and reading a classic, but instead got drunk.

I don't know if any of that made sense. I would suggest really throwing yourself into your hobbies. I don't know where you live, but finding a writting group, or a band would give you something to not only stay busy, but also focused, which should hopefully reduce your desire to do drugs, while also being social.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 PM
SAS Member

self medication

I started "self medicating" with alcohol for social situations and believe I was on the verge of becoming an alcoholic. What woke me up was that I came to the realization that alcohol was actually dramatically incrasing my anxiety on the day after drinking. Once I realized it was having the opposite effect, it was easier to say no to. Check out the alcoholism blog on about.com...tell them I referred you...chatting there has been an IMMESE help. Please, please check them out. Talk about a "non social" way to get support, since everything is usually focused on AA as the only way out.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 10:20 AM
need change, a new start

Iv been self medicating with oxys but at the same time I dko suffer back injuries from 2 car accidents, but I also use xannax as needed maybe once ever 2 or 3 weeks but I akways take a high dose if I used that dose everyday no doubt id be addicted bad, I used to smoke but a little aftee the enjoyable high id get anxiety and feel uncomfortable in my own skin and im on probation so I cant smoke anyway
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Maybe?

If you can get addicted to working, you can graduate to being a workaholic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page