Ignored in social situations and social circle - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Ignored in social situations and social circle

Firstly, I'm not ignored in the traditional sense of shutting someone off. I am listened to if I have something to say, problem is if someone else in the group intrerupts me, almost always the person I'm talking to will redirect their attention towards them and completly ignore me from that point on. It's like they don't feel like what I have to say it's important.

This happens in almost any social setting, whether if I'm at work, or in a group with friends or extended family. It's a recurrent pattern.

Basically, people feel like I can't bring anything valueble to the table. That's the impression I get. It doesn't matter what I say, or how qualified I am to talk about a certain subject, they will never pay attention to what I have to say and always seem distracted, or try to do their own thing.

Now I'm going to give you an example. I was once in a situation where a certain person needed advice regardless a problem they had. It happened that I had that problem before, many times, and dealt with it succesfully every time. The person knew I have experience on the matter, but almost instinctively chose to ask for adivce from someone else in the group, even tho that someone didn't have my experience.

Now I don't believe this is malicious, or that people particularly dislike me. I don't even think they do it conciously, but for some reason I'm invisible, they can't take me seriously, I'm not regarded as important.

I'm aware it's most likely me, something that I'm doing wrong. From a psychological and spiritual point of view, I'm curious to know what personality traits, behaviours, vibes can cause this, and why?

Does anyone relate?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page