If you somehow got cured of anxieties and other problems - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 84

If you somehow got cured of anxieties and other problems


edit
conantheworthless is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Chonker
 
Musicfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,553
Yes I like the people here, the blog section, interesting threads. Even if had my issues cured, which will never happen, I could at least relate to others based on my history of suffering with social anxiety.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.
Musicfan is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 03:16 PM
alien monk
 
andy1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 7,992
My Mood: Devilish
no, **** this place if I had better things to do lol

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
andy1984 is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 03:21 PM
SAS Member
 
AbbasGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Australia
Language: English
Gender: Male
Age: 36
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
Would you still visit this place?

I've noticed quite a few people that have their life on track yet still log in.

I wouldn't even think of this place anymore!

If you somehow managed to make real friends here then you're excused :-P

I come here occasionally. Recently here a bit more because of the holiday season everything's quiet where i live.



The reason I signed up to the forum is because I wanted to share the experience from years of suffering to stability. In case it would help anyone. Although I ask questions here myself and share my thoughts on different topics.



I had no interest in mental health until I went through what I went through. Now I officially read a lot about it.


Also the work routine here in a Country like Australia doesn't have the same type of social culture you would see somewhere else. A lot of people have their social life at work. At least in the biggest major cities.


I mostly keep to myself and my family too because I feel most comfortable around them. If I go out it's mainly for shopping, work, bills or that type of stuff. I think when I was younger I wasn't that sensitive to a lot of what I see in the streets. But I think now I have that sensitivity and it's a healthy awareness so I spend a lot of my time with just my own circle of friends which is very small. But I'm content, happy and functional so I don't see any problem.



I don't think there is much of a social life once you have a lot of responsibilities anyway. This is what I have experienced but I could be wrong. My focus just goes on family now, health, work but I get time for myself to do whatever.
AbbasGreen is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:04 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
Would you still visit this place?

I've noticed quite a few people that have their life on track yet still log in.

I wouldn't even think of this place anymore!

If you somehow managed to make real friends here then you're excused :-P
You haven't been here very long.

This place becomes sort of a habit - it's like a weird sort of Facebook or Twitter, only the graphics aren't as good.

I'm not sure - I'll most likely get sick of it eventually. I already am a fair bit. The relentless negativity is something I never could relate to - and it bores the crap out of me. If I'm feeling in a better mood I can handle it or I just put those people on ignore. Eventually I'll get sick of it though.

Sometimes it's just a place to express your thoughts. Thoughts that you wouldn't probably want people you actually know to hear about. So this place is good for that.
harrison is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:23 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
I've been here longer than you think though, I got banned once because I asked to, I came back with a different username. But still not as long as you are here.

I think when I ever get my life on track (I'll give it another shot one day) I'll probably end up forgetting this place. For now the dark mood fits perfectly with me as I'm in the same state. My visits here daily are purely habitual and I literally have nothing else to do.

The things I've said here have never been said in real life, that's also what shames me a bit, finding refuge in a place full of strangers, saying things I will regret sooner or later.
Okay - I didn't know that.

Years ago I met a few really nice people on here - we used to talk on Skype etc. But they've since left and I lost touch with them. There are some good people on here - and I wouldn't say the mood is always dark, although on average it probably is.

I've always felt a bit like a fish out of water here. I can relate to some of the people but not quite a few of the others. If I'm in the mood I try to offer a bit of support but I also get grumpy and lose patience sometimes.

I think to tolerate this place for a long time you need to be heavily medicated. (which I was for a while - it really helped)
harrison is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:26 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
Would you still visit this place?

I've noticed quite a few people that have their life on track yet still log in.

I wouldn't even think of this place anymore!

If you somehow managed to make real friends here then you're excused :-P
I like your thread ideas btw mate - you seem like a good guy, and very bright.
harrison is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:49 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
@harrison

Thanks, I think I am a good guy, though sometimes I doubt this because of how distant I can appear in real life. When I look back on my best moments in life I feel regret because I was at times really fun to be around and people enjoyed my company. I think I'm like Michael Jackson I was never meant to grow up. The burden of adulthood is pulling me down. I'm really thankful that I am alone because it's not a burden I'd like to share with a significant other. You cannot keep someone happy when you yourself are not happy either.

I often feel out of place here too, I can't really relate to most people's problems here (relationship or work related), I still think mine are quite unique. If someone tells me tomorrow I'm actually an alien from the planet Zorc I wouldn't even be surprised. I find it hard to connect with people yet. I grew from compassionate to apathetic over the years. I believe real me is still in here somewhere though.
Yeah, I think it is too mate - I think you've got a lot of potential, you just haven't worked it out yet.

You sound apathetic but you haven't given up all hope I don't think.

If you have that ability to talk to people - like that lady you said before - you can get it back. I hope so anyway mate - I hope things pick up for you.
harrison is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:23 PM
SAS Member
 
aqwsderf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Gender: Female
Age: 27
Posts: 2,156
I usually only come on here when I am feeling my worse.
aqwsderf is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:51 PM
SAS Member
 
SkyBlue27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 51
My Mood: Tired
Maybe, if only to share what I learned or have been through.
SkyBlue27 is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:17 PM
Temporarily Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Posts: 40,311
Well I shouldn't visit it now since I'm too much of an ******* for this website, but this site will disappear long before I get rid of any of my problems. I would probably end up lurking now and then though since I still go back to other stuff online from years ago that's still around now and then, or think about it, though most sites/accounts I used to use have been deleted by now.
Persephone The Dread is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:30 AM
SAS Member
 
jtd1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 46
Posts: 508
My Mood: Bored
I guess I come on here to see if I can maybe help others by sharing my experiences.

I keep an eye out for anyone posting about stuff that I can directly relate to, and let them know what worked for me.

I'd be happy if I could help to put someone on the right path and hopefully save them some time.

It's also good to read about people's experiences with different medications. IMO you can't beat direct, pesonal experience. I've found it to be more accurate than the stuff I've been told by psychiatrists with their textbooks.
jtd1974 is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:25 AM
YAS Member
 
caelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCali
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,829
Edit

Actually nevermind, yes, I would stop coming here but not until I give my deuces in my own thread so everyone knows I'm too good for this place

Last edited by caelle; 01-17-2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: feeling sassy
caelle is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:26 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Maryland
Language: English
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,234
I would to help people who are in a similar situation as I was with SA. Give them the benefit of my advice and experience with this issue. Wish I had this resource when I was younger and in school.
chrisinmd is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:31 AM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Language: Bad English
Gender: Agender
Posts: 1,276
My Mood: Dead
It's not the most pleasant place in the world for a variety of reasons lol, but I like reading some people here either because they're interesting established users here (they write and express themselves a lot here) or because I can relate to them or both. And even if there was a magical cure situation, I wouldn't forget about the misery. It's actually more true for the potential cure that people remember their experience and everything that's happened to them is accepted, including what they were like in the past as opposed to feeling weird and alienated from that. They feel like these past experiences are connected to themselves in the present and they feel much more whole as opposed to scattered different pieces of themselves. It's just that these things are more worked and lived through with support of someone so they don't feel as severe anymore. I wish the state of as if you didn't know any sorrow etc was achievable, but unfortunately it's not.

I don't know if I would feel the same if I was cured but I feel like supporting people who go through same things as I'm going through or went through (even if what's in common is just having a trauma or being in misery) mostly because I know what it's like to go through these things and have no support. Although I'm not a good helper/supporter because I'm in the same boat as them and I have no energy so I drop it really fast, unfortunately.

Someone said it has bad graphics as opposed to facebook and twitter and I disagree with them. I use the dark version of this site and it looks very stylish to me. Even the light one reminds me of the older internet of the 00's which I also miss and I think it looks good as opposed to that universal new design adapted for tablets even if you use PC and I don't like circles instead of squares (btw interesting fact: squares are associated with conformity while circles are associated with being absolutely compliant in some psychology tests or something like that). Although normally you're not supposed to miss the internet itself like it's a person or something... How sad of me and also how schizoid and lonely. I didn't even communicate much on the old internet and didn't make any serious, lasted friendships there.
SorryForMyEnglish is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:12 AM
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 31,672
My Mood: Relaxed
I have been here so long I'm pretty much part of the landscape. I wouldn't know what to do without logging in here from time to time. I kind of dread when there is no one here I recognize anymore. I'll still come here but I won't know why.
WillYouStopDave is online now  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:13 AM
experimental sincerity
 
rabidfoxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,178
I did get rid of my anxiety, or almost. The physical effects are still there, but they're not as bad, and psychologically I feel like I've got a handle on it now.

I come back because I like chatting about stuff online and don't have personal accounts on FB/Twitter/etc. (because reasons). I've "met" some great people here. Had some good banter. It's also one of the few places online where it's fine to be whingey when I feel like it, or to talk about mental health openly. Finally, I miss forum boards and there are practically none left.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
rabidfoxes is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 01:25 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
I hope it disappears. It's ridiculous one can't delete his own account. If I had known I wouldn't have registered. I have an enormous love/hate relationship with this forum.
If you wanted to you could just delete all your posts - I think you said you already have been, but 94 isn't many to go back and delete.

I know how you feel. But if I had been able to I would have deleted everything I ever said (and my account here) probably a hundred times over.

What's important to remember is that no-one knows who you are on here - and eventually this place will probably be long forgotten about eventually anyway and no-one will even think to look at it.
harrison is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 03:06 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
@harrison I've already deleted possibly 200 posts. But even then there are many still visible because quoted posts still show up and self made threads can't be deleted either.
Wow - that's quite a few. Yeah, it's a bit a problem with all the quoted ones. (like this for example - sorry)

What is it about it that makes you want to dlete them all - is it worry that other people might come across them in the future?
harrison is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:17 PM
Moderator
 
CNikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Language: American English, some Spanish
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,288
Probably not. There's many things that I probably would or would not be doing if I didn't struggle with what I had/have to go through. Thinking about the bits and pieces can hurt but I have to acknowledge that reality.
CNikki is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome