I Need Some Distraction Techniques ASAP - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I Need Some Distraction Techniques ASAP

I have agoraphobia/generalized anxiety disorder. I'm standing up in my cousin's wedding tomorrow and at rehearsal today I found out I have to stand on a stage in front of hundreds of people for over an hour. I'm terrified. I won't have any of my usual distraction techniques like my phone or really anything to concentrate on besides just standing there in the spotlight with a bouquet. For an hour. That is an eternity for me! I'm terrified and scared I'll have to over medicate or that I'll have this overwhelming urge to run out. Can anyone please recommend some good techniques for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
When my anxiety would get too much for me, I'd do math problems in my head. That was a good distraction for me. Also telling yourself you can make it to a specific time... ie. I must make it to 10 minutes. Then once the 10 minutes has passed, tell yourself you'll make it another 10. Both of these have helped me before.

"We'll make it there,
Sooner than later" <3 - Mat Kearney

"Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come." - Anne Lamott

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page