i need a job...but im afraid to work...how do you cope with it? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 08:12 PM
SAS Member

Surprisingly, I love working, and deal with frontline positions really reall well. Work actually gives me confidence, and makes me feel a lot better even outside work.

My first job I got through my mom, and it was as a weekend receptionist. Except no one told me I'd have to work weekdays, talk over the PA very often, and herd the crowds when we had about a hundred or two people for an event. Being forced to do that probably 'fixed' a bit of my SA; I actually made friends there that I still keep in touch with.

The second job was as an assistant to IT, and I got to literally crawl around 15 huge offices. I went on and under desks, looking like an idiot with everyone wondering, then asking what I was doing. After a while, you just stop caring about looking/sounding stupid. That and the powertrip of being an employee, telling people what to do in your building/office helps to build confidence.

My worst job was the one where I did data entry, and didn't have to talk to anyone, but my supervisor. I was a temp, so no one really bothered either. It was more awkward cause when I got the chance to talk to people, it was hard to initiate cause we'd been ignoring one another for over a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 09:17 AM
SAS Member

My excessive blushing is also discouraging me from finding work. For no other reason am I terrified to be interviewed and interact with others daily. I don't have the confidence to hold down a job but dire need is propelling me. Unfortunately, we may have to blush our way through things if we want to engage people and be employed. Best luck to you
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 10:03 AM

Wink

Geeze barb. I'd say working as a waitress WITH SA had to have been torture. I couldn't do it but I have my own little business. I work alone and the money is very good. I go for spells with no work at all then all of a sudden I'm swamped. You have to learn to put some money away for the lean times if possible. Find something at night maybe? Working at the post office wouldn't be a bad idea. I had a friend once who Hated people and she worked at the P.O. at night sorting mail. She loved it because she didn't have to deal with people. She had benefits too.

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 10:43 AM

Wink

Ew, Eww, EWWW. I just thought of the best job. Work in a greenhouse. VERY soothing for your anxieties working with Nature.
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

ohh i like the nature idea lol.
im also thinking about maybe getting a job at disneyland or something like that. of couse its dealing with lots of people but your working more outside and you just push people into rides and tell them to keep their arms and legs in during the ride lol. we'll see though, i'm just making a list of different part time jobs that i could start with to eventually working up to building my confidence.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 04:11 PM
gaz
SAS Member

I've just lost my job of 7 years due to the recession. I'm terrified of going to a new place to work because i had got used to the people i worked with, kind of like a second family. Now i'll have to start all over again.
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
I've just lost my job of 7 years due to the recession. I'm terrified of going to a new place to work because i had got used to the people i worked with, kind of like a second family. Now i'll have to start all over again.
omg i am so sorry. i can't imagine how that must feel...good luck to you! and i hope everything works out for you.
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 08:41 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb8812 View Post
ohh i like the nature idea lol.
im also thinking about maybe getting a job at disneyland or something like that. of couse its dealing with lots of people but your working more outside and you just push people into rides and tell them to keep their arms and legs in during the ride lol. we'll see though, i'm just making a list of different part time jobs that i could start with to eventually working up to building my confidence.

Hey!! Maybe you could wear a costume with a big head. Then you can be someone else!! I could do that. It's like you have a cushion between you and everyone else. And if you screw up you can blame it on Minnie Mouse. Hahahahaha.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Zam
Yoda's cat

Hey, you guys heard of Internet marketing? It is creating your own website based on your own interests and generating enough traffic afterwards to earn money from advertisers. It is a LOT of HARDWORK and slow income. But if you have the time, try it.

Note: Don't fall into any Internet Marketeers sales gimmicks. You can create your own websites for free these days.
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Starlight and moonbeams

I need to get a job too, but I'm scared of having to interact with people.

post #31 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:20 PM
JNM123

i know exactly how you feel. ive had like 20 jobs and im 21. ive always quit because i feel like theres some kind of cliques and it really sucks being the "new girl". ive watiressed but it was always so hard on me but i was taking medication then.i dont think i could have done the job without it.

"It's those pills that you don't need to take
Medicating perfection, now that's a mistake"
post #32 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:05 AM
SAS Member

I have had a bunch of jobs too, so my history is pretty crappy. Most of it has been offices, warehouses with lots of people. I get so sick of the people with their cliques, talking all of the time, etc., and I just have to get out of there. I just don't work well around lots of people.
post #33 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM

I'm in a similiar situation. I'm 19 and i have never had a job. The thought of having a job..a daily routine in which i have to work closely with people all day long.. scares the heck out of me. I'm afraid the anxiety will just take over me if i get a job, and i'll end up quitting before i can even get fired. There are lots of jobs out there in which you don't have to work directly with people, but that could be a problem in my case, because my S.A.D. caused me to drop out of high school when i was 16. the anxiety was pretty much unbearable. without a high school diploma, i'm afraid my job options aren't that vast. i could work at a retail store or a restaraunt, but you have to work so closely with people there...and i fear that. =/ Good luck to you, just wanted you to know that i was having the same problem, you are not alone. <3
post #34 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 PM
SAS Member

Every day when I job search, I see all kinds of jobs that(based on experience) I am just not able to do because they involve working with other people. My fear is always getting into a job that I know that I am going to hate, and feel like I am stuck in it. If it gets too unbearable, I have to get out.
I have a job counselor who is working with me. He knows my personality, and knows that I am looking for something that will suit it. He has brought me some things, and I have applied but no luck.
Its useless to put me in a setting working with a bunch of people. Its not going to work. It never has and it never will. I am not going to change who I am. People are just going to have to accept me the way that I am.
post #35 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 PM
SAS Membr

I need a job... I'm scared of interviews more than anything Once I get a job, I think I'll be fine.
post #36 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 AM
SAS Member

I think the whole job thing(especially the interview) is a game. These stupid employers with their cushy jobs and offices mess with peoples lives. I am tired of all of the "be prepared on your interview, and study up on questions that they might ask." I went on an interview a few weeks ago, and this guy asked me the good old, "Well, tell me about yourself". I just say a few things, basically wing it. Besides, it was in an office with a bunch of people, so I knew right off, nope this ain't happening.
post #37 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 PM

It's funny how common the situation I'm in is: I quit my rather well paid but odious job 4 years ago to do some traveling, writing, and other things, but the 2 years I originally planned turned into 4, partly because of the financial crisis but definitely because of the SA. Now I have to face the music and find a new job (money's running out) but I dread the idea of being interviewed by a bunch of strangers. Absolutely stressful for me.

I am exercising lots, doing meditation/yoga and seeing a shrink, in hopes to find the right medication, although I have tried in the past with little success. Let's hope good ol' need for money will also motivate me to move forward.
post #38 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 PM

i worked as an RN and have to interact with people (lots of MEAN ones) on a daily basis...their families are the worse cause they demand everything and expect you to perform miracles....to be honest, i was the happiest when i was doing office work even if it was only 25% of what i made in the hospital...thats y i finally had to quit coz it ate up my sanity/happiness
post #39 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 PM
SAS Member

Waiting tables is a difficult one for those with SA. I did it and thought I was utterly hopeless. However, since then, I feel like I have been utterly hopeless at everything. It makes me sad, but keep in mind, that there is a job out there that you will love.
post #40 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 AM
SAS Member

We all need jobs because money makes the world go round. Such a shame really, if only there was a simpler way.

I always find the interviews to be the most annoying. They just suck.

There has to be a better way.

Once I have the job, I just work to the best of my ability though the work demands of my current job and how the management treat you is extremely frustrating and demoralising. Luckily, what helps with that is that I'm not the only person who hates it here. The work is mind numbingly dull and often not really necessary, all for the sake of simply tiicking a box. After all, publi sector organisations like their paperwork, ticking boxes and achieving targets. Everything else is secondary.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page