I'm Not Interested in Anything - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 02:05 PM
SAS member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespere View Post
All I do is occasionally read a book and go on the Internet. I've tried to explore stuff, but of course I just lose interest.
Are those not interests of yours that you like to do in your spare time? Sure there may not be much to say when you simply state what your two interests are. But you can lengthen the conversation by explaining why you like those interests. You can tell the other person:

- Why you like reading books from a particular genre
- How the characters in the novel relate to people you know
- Ideas about life or the world that the book has presented
- Discuss parts of the storyline to get them interested in the title
- Interesting news articles, videos, music you found online that you want to share
- Good deals you found online

Know and believe in yourself, and what others think won't disturb you (William Feather)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Parasite Single

I have a few interests here and there. But the stuff I really like I can't have. sigh

There is no fate but what we make.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Starlight and moonbeams

Reading books is a very good interest. I read too many books myself.

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 02:13 PM
SAS member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevandal View Post
I have a few interests here and there. But the stuff I really like I can't have. sigh
What things can't you have?

Know and believe in yourself, and what others think won't disturb you (William Feather)
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 04:21 PM
SAS Member

Arrow

mana

I have two things to say. Lend me your ear if you will. First, what another poster said is true. One of the symptoms of depression is a loss of interest in "things" although usually they are things you used to be interested in.
My next suggestion is out of the box but humor me if you will. In the native tradition there is a way of learning where your life direction needs to go. You have to go and sit somewhere with no distractions for a few days though. Its called a vigil or a vision quest and other names like a solo, or a pilgramage. its like the guy who found fishing, there is something that the great spirit or God needs you to do, you just need to find it. When a person lacks spirituality I think they get kind of empty inside. I suggest finding a spiritual tradition you can get in to and you will find out a lot about yourself. Add you will laugh and laugh!
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 12:13 AM
SAS Member

i relate

i can totally relate to what ur saying. i'm 31 and have no interests at all. no hobbies. i have a bf who is obsessed with playing pool. he plays at least 15 hours a week. that's being conservative. i have tried to think about something i'd be passionate about. i wish i did have that one thing i loved and wanted to be an expert in but there is nothing. i've thought about it too. many, many times trying to find that one thing that would grab me but there is nothing. i wish i could find it.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 AM
SAS Member

I have the same problem. I have no interests or hobbies. I'm not interested in taking anything up either because everything is boring to me.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 AM
wish I could fly away

Location: Great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit
I'm interested in some things, but very reluctant to discover anything new. Was driving by a bank yesterday and saw a sign that said "the man who never made a mistake never tried anything new." I know it was supposed to be a positive message, but when you have issues like ours you interpret that backwards--if we don't try anything new in life, then we won't make mistakes, therefore we won't draw attention and won't be ridiculed and criticized. It's boring and depressing, but at least it's safe.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 AM
SAS Member

Ahh, you don't know how much I can relate to this. Every thing is so boring to me too. The Internet is the only thing that can really keep my interest for hours on end.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Freedom is lurking

I can relate too. I don't think there has ever been anything I was passionate about. Maybe video games? I would like to explore stuff and find out, because that's what people do, but SA and especially GAD make it nigh impossible. Even just imagining it stresses me out beyond what I can tolerate...

Love is something far more than desire for sexual intercourse; it is the principal means of escape from the loneliness which afflicts most men and women throughout the greater part of their lives.
- Bertrand Russell
What makes loneliness an anguish is not that I have no one to share my burden, but this: I have only my own burden to bear.
- Dag Hammarskjöld
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 06:40 PM
SAS Member

I agree, everything is boring.
post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 12:17 AM
SAS Member

I'd recommend music :v might not seem your thing but music is so huge on the inside I'm sure you'll find something you like the sound of. And if you do find something then you might be inspired to do something else, maybe even learn an instrument.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsAlone View Post
I'm interested in some things, but very reluctant to discover anything new. Was driving by a bank yesterday and saw a sign that said "the man who never made a mistake never tried anything new." I know it was supposed to be a positive message, but when you have issues like ours you interpret that backwards--if we don't try anything new in life, then we won't make mistakes, therefore we won't draw attention and won't be ridiculed and criticized. It's boring and depressing, but at least it's safe.
Great explanation!

I have the same problem and I think this is the main reason. For example, if I decide on taking a yoga class, immediately I start thinking, "What will I do? I don't know how I should act... I will make a fool out of myself! How will I talk to people? I have nothing to talk about!" So, of course, I end up staying away from everything because no interest is strong enough to pass this fear, especially when I haven't experienced it at all!

Additionally, I think I have a very short attention span. If I find something interesting, I get distracted after a very short time.
post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:21 AM
Life sucks

My Mood: Cold
Its called as Dysthymia
Consult your doctor
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Permanently Banned

it doesnt help when trying to have an interest, where others strangers or often former close people, siblings or whatever will imply or say "you suck" at it or laugh at it. or others say why even bother , you won't be able to be paid for it etc. it's like every associate is jealous or don't want one to have interests. be happy and be a winner, yet competition is all about tearing the other side down.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 04:52 PM
SAS Member

I have the exact same issue. Nothing genuinely entertains me or gives me happiness. I am simply passing the time. It's why I don't have friends either--I don't know what I would talk to them about, and I would be embarrassed to tell them that I have no hobbies. Everything is boring or irritating. The only activity that I sometimes like is baking/cooking, because I'm actually making something. But that becomes annoying because I don't have the energy/money to buy cooking stuff.

“Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors.”
—African proverb
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 PM
SAS Member

I've lost interest in almost everything. I used to pass time by playing video games for hours, but now even turning on the console feels like a chore. If I play it's usually for about ten minutes before I quit. I really wish I was passionate about something. Maybe I should start working out. At least that would be productive. Otherwise I spend most of my time listening to music and daydreaming.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:16 PM
SAS Member

I feel like this most of the time.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:12 PM
blob

SAME! i'm so indifferent to everything. im perfectly content staying home and going on the internet. i'm just like -_- about almost everything...if other ppl are around tho, i'll fake interest and enthusiasm just to seem normal

i'm just a boring blob. i have no idea why i even exist. i'm just sorta...here
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:29 AM
SAS Member

I'm the same. I've never really had many interests - even as a kid I never wanted to do much. I get up, go to a job I hate, come home, go on the internet and browse aimlessly, maybe play the odd game or two if I can muster enough energy to start one up, and go to bed. Basically I'm either working or just killing time waiting until I have to go to work again

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page