I'm Not Interested in Anything - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm Not Interested in Anything

I've realized that I have zero interests. Everything is boring. I don't even think that it's because of depression because even when I feel okay, I don't really like anything.

Whenever someone asks what I'm interested in, I often draw a blank and I have to make something up.

All I do is occasionally read a book and go on the Internet. I've tried to explore stuff, but of course I just lose interest.

I can't hold a conversation about anything for this reason. This is probably the main reason I don't have friends or a career. Everything is just boring.

Dx - Social Anxiety, Major Depression, Asperger's Syndrome, OCD

Medications - Zoloft 200mg, Trazodone 50mg prn

Tried - Zoloft 100mg, 25mg Risperdal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Permanently Banned

that is the reason why most people become drug addicts
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

^ I know some people who constantly talk about drugs. So even drug addicts have an interest in something. :l

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 03:32 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Just because you feel "okay" doesn't mean you aren't depressed. Sometimes apathy is a bigger sign of depression than is feeling sad or down.

Just tossing that out there. I don't know your circumstances. I'd say that if you USED to be interested in things, but aren't anymore, it's a good sign of underlying/latent depression, but if you've never been interested in anything PERIOD, I really have no idea what to say, that's beyond my experience.

Is there ANYTHING you find yourself thinking about at times, anything at all that preoccupies your thoughts...? You might have an interest that just happens to be more generalized or vague than the usual. Again, just tossing that out there. :/

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM
SAS Member

I frequently feel like this, that I have no 'real' hobbies or interests. I don't go to college or to work because I enjoy it, but because I have to. All I do to occupy my time is sit and think, sometimes read stuff, go on walks or on a jog... conversation is extremely difficult and forced. It feels as if I'm just killing time here...

'My one regret in life is that I am not someone else.'

'You are what you love, not what loves you.'
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 PM
SAS Member

pretty sure this is a really common thing for people with sa, and honestly im not sure why it is.. maybe because we are always so alone, and being with people makes time go by faster?

But for the last couple of years i have realized nothing interests me, video games got boring, reading boring, exercising i have to do but its boring, work sucks, college sucks, even ended things with my gf because i was bored ( and anxious)

But honestly, after im done with school or work i come home and just rip the bong and then put on a good movie or play some ps3 or go for a bike ride.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I like history, languages, and literature but not enough to consider it an interest. I can't hold a conversation with people who are truly passionate about that kind of stuff :/

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:45 AM
SAS Member

When im really depressed i cant find fun in anything, i sit around for ages just kind of daydreaming/Killing time. The mixture of medication & a healthier lifestyle really helped me though. I know how u feel though, just try to stay positive if u can
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 AM
SAS Member

I've been dealing with this for some time
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM
SAS Member

exactly how ive been feeling lately.

I've tried a bunch of things and frankly don't give a **** about trying anything else anymore.

I do like drugs as a matter of fact. I enjoy the way they make me feel all high and nice.

This is a probably a problem. I dont use like I used to but can drugs really be the only natural interest that I have?

Was I really born to be a drug addict?
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM
SAS Member

Me either.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Permanently Banned

you have no interests? u serious?
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
SAS Member

A lot of things can be interesting. I just hate how everyone is addicted to sports, and if you aren't...well... then you're a loser..

Strength is the product of struggle.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 PM
SAS Member

I had the same problem until i went out and purchased a fishing rod. The first time i fished i instantly fell in love with everything about it. Now I go EVERY moment i possibly can.

The intense connection with nature.
Realizing the larger scale of the world.
Finding respect for yourself and animals.
The test of your instinct and intelligence.
Feeling complete peace in a serene place all of your own.
Discovering patience and calmness.

It's hard to even put into words my total love, respect and dedication to fishing. It's endless. Of course I would suggest it to anyone but girls don't tend to like fishing. My advice is go out and discover your ultimate passion.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 PM
electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb926 View Post
I had the same problem until i went out and purchased a fishing rod. The first time i fished i instantly fell in love with everything about it. Now I go EVERY moment i possibly can.

The intense connection with nature.
Realizing the larger scale of the world.
Finding respect for yourself and animals.
The test of your instinct and intelligence.
Feeling complete peace in a serene place all of your own.
Discovering patience and calmness.

It's hard to even put into words my total love, respect and dedication to fishing. It's endless. Of course I would suggest it to anyone but girls don't tend to like fishing. My advice is go out and discover your ultimate passion.
This is something I very much am unable to relate to. I've never found anything that interesting, just things I do for awhile because they're kind of enjoyable. If I find myself trying to talk passionately about something I like for whatever reason it just sounds forced and dissonant in own my ears. People talk about their interests and I listen mostly amused by their enthusiasm. I'm glad they can enjoy something that much. I think it's a matter of how we self-identify. I don't picture myself as the kind of person to get that interested in things or feel passionate about what I'm doing. I do sometimes have enough playfulness to /seem/ that way, but it's just play, my enjoying myself or whoever I'm with.

I don't think it's a weakness or anything so much as just a different way of experiencing the world. Some things can "interest" me in that they are pleasurable, like listening to trace music, while other things are the opposite for me, like watching musicals or plays. Maybe that's good enough. Some things are enjoyable is all.

Things can certainly blow my mind though, like an artist's skill or a writer's insight, and I can talk about those things enthusiastically lol. I can totally adore people, just things and activities aren't that fascinating!

We are the drop, the wave, and the tide.
|ᓴ\___/ᓱ|
╰☆╮╭☆╯
 ⋱/⍚\⋰ 
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
This is something I very much am unable to relate to. I've never found anything that interesting, just things I do for awhile because they're kind of enjoyable. If I find myself trying to talk passionately about something I like for whatever reason it just sounds forced and dissonant in own my ears. People talk about their interests and I listen mostly amused by their enthusiasm. I'm glad they can enjoy something that much. I think it's a matter of how we self-identify. I don't picture myself as the kind of person to get that interested in things or feel passionate about what I'm doing. I do sometimes have enough playfulness to /seem/ that way, but it's just play, my enjoying myself or whoever I'm with.

I don't think it's a weakness or anything so much as just a different way of experiencing the world. Some things can "interest" me in that they are pleasurable, like listening to trace music, while other things are the opposite for me, like watching musicals or plays. Maybe that's good enough. Some things are enjoyable is all.
Here's the thing and this will help: when i converse with other people face-to-face about my passions, i don't care at all if they don't like it or think it's lame because my love for it is totally unwavering. I go off on endless tangents about fishing and experiences, let it all out, and simply hope that someone enjoys the story or gets something from it. If they don't, who cares? I still love that thing just as much.
I think you should explore as many things as possible. It can be something as profound as studying philosophy at school or as simple as learning a trade like carpentry.
The fastest way to discover life passions is through process of elimination. First, figure out what you DON'T love.
And trust me, when you pick up that passion, your life will change
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
Not even sex?!
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Pancake CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespere View Post
I've realized that I have zero interests. Everything is boring. I don't even think that it's because of depression because even when I feel okay, I don't really like anything.

Whenever someone asks what I'm interested in, I often draw a blank and I have to make something up.

All I do is occasionally read a book and go on the Internet. I've tried to explore stuff, but of course I just lose interest.

I can't hold a conversation about anything for this reason. This is probably the main reason I don't have friends or a career. Everything is just boring.
Hi vespere. I had this problem forawhile, i simply was and still not interested in mainstream culture. Maybe try new things until something catches your attention.. I don't know, if that makes any sense.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 AM
SAS Member

'All I do is occasionally read a book and go on the Internet.'

How about these forums? Talkign to people on here? Does that interest you?
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM
SAS Member

help with this one - simiilar

met a guy online, whose dating profile basically says nothiing, i mean nothing...just that u should ask him if you want to know anything...well, he's stunning looking (and real, i found out) but it's just so weird...8 hours a day for a week we've spent inboxing..he has never ONCE asked me a question, volunteered anything about himself, or used my first name..he'll answer every question, he'll say lol of haha ok....and he'll give one or two line answers, but that's IT. NOTHING. not , how are u today..i've even said to him, "i'm not saying anything else until u initiate something, so he wrote, "I have nothing to say. Ok, tell me about yourself.", he finally said. That was his answer...this was 3 days after i knew him. Now, he's very bright, i can tell, but this is going to be his senior yr in high school and thru questioning him, he's repeating this year because he just didn't go to school enough days last year, which makes me think something traumatic or depressing happened? He's great looking, very athletic, you'd think he'd have a world of friends..he gets up at 12 each summer day and does nothing...he doesn't drink or do drugs...i asked about other ppl he met on the site..he said within a week he usually stops talking to them, sometimes they stop..i asked why, because you get bored? He said yeah..I'll tell u , iit's amazing i can keep talking and being funny about nothing.....any ideas what this could be????

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page