I feel a lot of people on this forum may have Schyzopal Personality Disorder not SAD - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I feel a lot of people on this forum may have Schyzopal Personality Disorder not SAD

I really felt I needed to point this out because I was recently diagnosed with it an had no idea.

I've always thought I had Social Anxiety but literally nothing I've tried worked for me. When I was diagnosed with Schyzopal personality disorder, it all made sense. Schyzopal personality disorder is a mild form of Schyzophrenia. It turns out most of my anxiety comes from constant paranoia that keeps me always in the flight or flight mode.

The thing about this disorder is that it's constant social anxiety that doesn't go away with exposure to doing something that you fear. I always wondered why no matter what, even around my closes friends I still had this flight or flight response to everything no matter how much I exposed myself to situations. It might go away for a day as I get comfortable in my surrounding as I slowly realize that I'm not in danger but the second I wake up the next day the irrational fear returns.

I highly suggest those on here, especially those with childhood abuse check out the criteria for what is looked for in diagnoses for this disorder because I'm sure there's a lot of people on here that are looking in the wrong direction and it's kinda nice knowing what my problem is now.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot about this disorder online in comparison to full on Schizophrenia for some reason.

Here's a list of symptoms

schizotypal symptoms

Dressing, speaking, or acting in an odd or peculiar way

Being suspicious and paranoid

Being uncomfortable or anxious in social situations due to their distrust of others

Having few friends and being extremely uncomfortable with intimacy

Tending to misinterpret reality or to have distorted perceptions (for example, mistaking noises for voices)

Having odd beliefs or magical thinking (for example, being overly superstitious or thinking of themselves as psychic)

Being preoccupied with fantasy and daydreaming

Tending to be stiff and awkward when relating to others
Coming across as emotionally distant, aloof, or cold

I have all of these symptoms. Especially the one about having odd beliefs and magical thinking. I sometimes feel like others can read my mind and I always have this weird view of myself where I feel like I'm on this earth for something special. Like I have powers that I don't know about that will come into use in the future when needed. Now the difference between Schizopal personality disorder and Schizophrenia is that people with Schizopal for the most part know that their delusions and thinking are not real instead of full on believing them like most with Schizophrenia do.

I don't have audio hallucinations either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:01 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I would believe myself to be schizotypal if I actually had any strong beliefs that people were reading my mind, but I don't. I mean, I do more or less live in a fantasy world, but I know it is fantasy, I don't think my fantasy is reality. This is pretty funny because I just posted in a thread regarding this sort of topic. A schizotypal person, would be convinced they are right. Then again, I'm not a trained professional, I just spent a few minutes on google.

I mean, I guess I could be schizotypal and not even know it, I guess most schizotypal people don't know they are. Perhaps I am just in denial, I doubt it though, because I don't hold many beliefs.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 09:18 AM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
I've never heard of that. i do relate to the symptoms. but there's far too many personaility titles in the world and i just can't be bothered with labels anymore.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 09:02 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theproof View Post
I really felt I needed to point this out because I was recently diagnosed with it an had no idea.

I've always thought I had Social Anxiety but literally nothing I've tried worked for me. When I was diagnosed with Schyzopal personality disorder, it all made sense. Schyzopal personality disorder is a mild form of Schyzophrenia. It turns out most of my anxiety comes from constant paranoia that keeps me always in the flight or flight mode.

The thing about this disorder is that it's constant social anxiety that doesn't go away with exposure to doing something that you fear. I always wondered why no matter what, even around my closes friends I still had this flight or flight response to everything no matter how much I exposed myself to situations. It might go away for a day as I get comfortable in my surrounding as I slowly realize that I'm not in danger but the second I wake up the next day the irrational fear returns.

I highly suggest those on here, especially those with childhood abuse check out the criteria for what is looked for in diagnoses for this disorder because I'm sure there's a lot of people on here that are looking in the wrong direction and it's kinda nice knowing what my problem is now.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot about this disorder online in comparison to full on Schizophrenia for some reason.

Here's a list of symptoms

schizotypal symptoms

Dressing, speaking, or acting in an odd or peculiar way

Being suspicious and paranoid

Being uncomfortable or anxious in social situations due to their distrust of others

Having few friends and being extremely uncomfortable with intimacy

Tending to misinterpret reality or to have distorted perceptions (for example, mistaking noises for voices)

Having odd beliefs or magical thinking (for example, being overly superstitious or thinking of themselves as psychic)

Being preoccupied with fantasy and daydreaming

Tending to be stiff and awkward when relating to others
Coming across as emotionally distant, aloof, or cold

I have all of these symptoms. Especially the one about having odd beliefs and magical thinking. I sometimes feel like others can read my mind and I always have this weird view of myself where I feel like I'm on this earth for something special. Like I have powers that I don't know about that will come into use in the future when needed. Now the difference between Schizopal personality disorder and Schizophrenia is that people with Schizopal for the most part know that their delusions and thinking are not real instead of full on believing them like most with Schizophrenia do.

I don't have audio hallucinations either
Wow, I can relate to this so much.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 08:12 PM
SAS Member

I have all of these symptoms and have looked into this personality disorder. I have not been diagnosed with it, it actually makes more sense than my current diagnosis. I also think a lot of people on here could have schizoid personality disorder, as it appears some people have no interest in other people rather than being anxious
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
Yeah I feel like almost all of those apply to me. I figured that I have some personality disorder because the problem seems to go way beyond just having anxiety around people.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:36 AM
pls don't eat bats, thnx

Language: rambling
I think you might be right. I suspect that the reasons personality disorders are less diagnosed is not just because they are rarer but also because anxiety and depression are more manageable and treatable. I think people in the medical profession are more reluctant to diagnose a person with something like a personality disorder unless it's a real threat/danger to themselves or others. because of this people go undiagnosed with these sorts of conditions.

I like donuts
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:11 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Might be true... But also might be wrong... Diagnosing these isn't so easy...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 03:45 AM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I think AvPD, schizoid and schizotypal are part of the same spectrum of disorders but the symptoms probably fluctuate depending on environmental factors and stress (they have similar underlying temperaments as well.) Schizoid is kind of like schizotypal but with less positive symptoms (involves similar levels of fantasy/self absorption but with less of a split.) AvPD also involves having low self esteem. There are some schizophrenic posters here too.

I think AvPD is the most common one here, followed by schizoid, than schizotypal. Well there are two posters who are schizophrenic, and a third who I can't decide whether they're schizotypal or schizophrenic. They're slightly more 'accessible' at times. The important thing is, since these disorders don't just stem from inhibited temperaments but also from motivational and attention deficits is to find ways to keep them engaged by bridging things. I read a paper about this actually, although it was about schizoid PD (which I believe I have,) it applies even more to disorders further along the spectrum imo (well tbh it seems more like they're using the term schizoid as a wider/overlapping term like 'emotional dysregulation' more than the personality disorder specifically here):

https://link.springer.com/article/10...615-017-0629-2

edit: One thing that's a common misconception about schizoid people that annoys me is that they don't want any kind of relationships with anyone. Maybe that's true in extreme cases but for the most part it's more that schizoid people are more comfortable with intellectual conversations and find many of the obligations and traditions of social relationships draining/annoying/uncomfortable. Also don't like small talk and are sensitive to clingyness because of having either a dismissive or fearful avoidant attachment pattern. It's actually quite similar to autism in a lot of ways (the main difference though is schizoid people are hyper-mentalisers instead of hypo-mentalisers.) Part of the problem comes from external observation and the fact that it's very underresearched because people with disorders like BPD, NPD or ASPD just cause more direct issues for society and are more likely to attempt suicide. People with schizo-spectrum disorders who act out like Jeffrey Dahmer (famous example,) usually have co-morbid BPD or something leading to impulsive decision making.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-schizo...e-the-symptoms

Quote:
Summary: There are a number of common myths about Schizoid individuals: that they are all introverted, do not have feelings, or want intimate relationships with other people. The truth is that many Schizoid individuals have been traumatized and have developed various coping strategies to protect themselves that sometimes give that impression. There are also Schizoid individuals who are high functioning and had less childhood damage who never come to therapy because they have adapted to their situation by finding compromises between their fear of contact and their desire for connection.
It's very unlikely that someone who is schizoid won't have social anxiety of some sort. Although it might seem that way if you don't know them irl because to go back to temperaments they have the same hypersensitive temperament that all the schizophrenia spectrum disorders have.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:47 AM
SAS Member

"you feel" lmao, if you have it doesn't mean everyone has it, you are all idiots, it's just your mind ****ing with you, the problem is social anxiety, stop inventing new stuff and believing them.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven4601 View Post
"you feel" lmao, if you have it doesn't mean everyone has it, you are all idiots, it's just your mind ****ing with you, the problem is social anxiety, stop inventing new stuff and believing them.
He is just sharing his experience so that others who think they have this can get the proper treatment. more so raising awareness

No need to be arrogant
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 08:18 PM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
I learned a few months ago that I was diagnosed with this by my psychiatrist. It makes sense, but I'm not sure why I first heard of it from my therapist who assumed I already knew

That's one more of probably a dozen other currently undiagnosed disorders I have, I'm not sure how many more I need before I can finally start getting substantial help.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 04:44 PM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barakiel View Post
I learned a few months ago that I was diagnosed with this by my psychiatrist. It makes sense, but I'm not sure why I first heard of it from my therapist who assumed I already knew

That's one more of probably a dozen other currently undiagnosed disorders I have, I'm not sure how many more I need before I can finally start getting substantial help.
Not sure what it's like where you are, or what you mean by "substantial help", but here you basically have to be legally insane to qualify for disability (ie. psychotic). You have to qualify for disability to get prescription medication or therapy covered by the govt. So if you're not psychotic, you have to pay out of pocket for therapy and medication if you don't have health insurance through work or something. You won't get any kind of help for things like anxiety, depression, personality disorders, etc. Families are expected to cover that. (I couldn't even get a referral to a psychiatrist from the walk-in clinic I'd been using for 20 years. You need a family physician to get referrals, or go through the ER.)

So I'm guessing you need to add psychosis to your list. Plus, it's debatable whether or not good healthcare for people with MH disorders exists anywhere at any price.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 05:16 PM
SAS Member

Language: French/English
I thought I might have had that diagnostic about 10 years ago, asked some mental health worker (Social worker I believe) to help me sort this out. I had a friend who his schizophrenic and I got to meet a few professionals where he lived at a certain time. 10 years later, I am diagnosed with ASD (Autism/Asperger).
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 05:18 AM
bipolar

Don't think I've got that one.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page