I don't know what to do anymore. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I don't know what to do anymore.

So, my mom is a "holistic" psychotherapist and believes that medication is horrible. She tries to pretend like there's nothing wrong with me. After I got diagnosed she refused to let the doctor give me medicine. After a few months I finally convinced her to get me Prozac for my SA and depression. About half a year later I was doing better than without the medication... not great, but still better. My mom then decided that medicine was bad again because she read some article or something. So she made me ween off of it. I feel like living, breathing **** these days. I don't have any sort of trauma or anything... my brains just ****ed up so therapy doesn't help with anything... it just makes me kind of angry because therapists usually assume I'm lying about not having any real trauma. Since I'm a minor there's nothing I can really do but wait until I'm 18... right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 01:18 PM
SAS Member

I can't think of anything, but what I would do is talk to the doctor to make absolute certain I can safely continue to take medicine and then do it without my mother knowing it.

I mean, I get you're underage and your mom should decide, but after all it's your life and your health.

Good luck and I hope things turn out okay for you!

"Just a vacant broken boy instead"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:24 PM
SAS Member

I believe you have the rights to decide what you want for yourself.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:39 PM
insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by joinmartin View Post
Why is your Mum making the decisions about your medication?

Yes, you are a minor and parental involvement is understandable. But parental control is not. Is she acting as your mother or as a therapist here? Surely the medication you're on is between you and your doctor or between you, your doctor and your mother but not solely at the descretion of your mother?
I agree that parental control is not ok. But the mother is a holistic therapist and she won't leave that stuff at the door when it comes to parenting. It isn't great that she denies her child medication but if she believes in the holistic approach then it's not surprising.

Maybe do what someone else above has suggested and try to get a prescription and take it without her knowing. Is that even possible in the States?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I don't know how things are in Europe... but in America if you're a minor you pretty much have no power. There's no way I could possibly go to the doctor without one of my parents because a) I have no way of getting to the doctor b) I have no way of paying the doctor c) You need a parent with you to get a prescription filled d) My dad would never take me since he's pretty much my mom's *****. I'm grateful that she cares but I think she's in serious denial about my mental state. It's like she thinks since she's a therapist that her daughter couldn't possibly have anything wrong. She tries to talk to me about stuff but anytime I talk about my panic attacks or my depression she says things like "You're just overexaggerating." peh...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 04:22 AM
insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracelizabeth96 View Post
I don't know how things are in Europe... but in America if you're a minor you pretty much have no power. There's no way I could possibly go to the doctor without one of my parents because a) I have no way of getting to the doctor b) I have no way of paying the doctor c) You need a parent with you to get a prescription filled d) My dad would never take me since he's pretty much my mom's *****. I'm grateful that she cares but I think she's in serious denial about my mental state. It's like she thinks since she's a therapist that her daughter couldn't possibly have anything wrong. She tries to talk to me about stuff but anytime I talk about my panic attacks or my depression she says things like "You're just overexaggerating." peh...
Yes, it sounds like she is in denial. Could you ask her to pay for a therapist for you? That should fit in with her beliefs and then (after a while) that therapist could argue your case with her.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page