Humorous SA moments - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Humorous SA moments

I was just thinking about one the other day. It happened about 12 years ago when I was only 19, although it still feels like it was yesterday. At the time, my SA was as bad as it is now, except that I was on zero medication back then. My SA specifically takes the form of visual and verbal communication, regardless of who it is I'm talking to, so, with that in mind...

I was just entering the work force back then, doing odd temp jobs here and there. This one place I was sent to was a factory, making eurethane products for car headboards and dashboards. When I arrived there, one of the assistant managers walked me to where the employees clock in, while making small talk along the way. He was a nice down-to-earth kind of guy, but my SA was preventing me from making small talk back. During this one moment, he was standing face-to-face with me, and decided to ask me what my nationality was. By this time, I could barely focus and concentrate enough to stand, but when my brain finally analyzed the question like a very slow-moving microprocessor, I finally blurted out, "I'm a Jew"...

The thing is though, I'm NOT a Jew. LOL. That's just what came out of my mouth, without even thinking about it. I'm actually Caucasian with some mixed German and Polish. I didn't think about my nationality a whole lot back then, not even too much today. But getting back, I just had a hard time looking him in the eye, but he kept staring at me, and then he responded back with something along the lines of, "Hmm, you don't look too much like a Jew"... well, no kidding, lol... I think he then got the idea that I wasn't too interested in small talk, so he proceeded to walk me over to the assembly belt line, which became a borefest for the next 6 months.

But that was just a moment in my life which wasn't funny at the time - in fact, very uncomfortable - but only when I look back upon it do I realize how embarrassingly idiotic it was. I still cringe a little bit at the thought of it.

Anyone else have any stories like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:29 PM
SAS Member

This is actually a story that my friend went through. It's so funny that I HAVE to share it.

My friend works in an office for two women he describes as "angry lesbians." Before anyone gets upset, nobody is dissing lesbians in general. These just happen to be two lesbians who are very often angry.

He's very intimidated by them, and he wants to get a raise but is too scared to ask. So anyway, he had to go to the airport to pick up his brother. He was nervous to talk to them, since he'd have to leave work early. He eventually approached them, but here is what he said.........

"Is it all right if I leave work early today. I've got to go to the airport to pick up my boyfriend."

As soon as he said it, he couldn't believe he said it. They actually were very happy to let him go (go figure), but now he has to pretend he's GAY around them. LOL!!! What a situation.....

AIM: adamhoef

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrum
but now he has to pretend he's GAY around them. LOL!!! What a situation.....
I guess it's about time he ask for that raise now.

It's OK to swing and miss, as long as you learn from it. - Jack Welch

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...app/weight.png

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:59 PM
She-Wolf

Re: Humorous SA moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Artie
I was just thinking about one the other day. It happened about 12 years ago when I was only 19, although it still feels like it was yesterday. At the time, my SA was as bad as it is now, except that I was on zero medication back then. My SA specifically takes the form of visual and verbal communication, regardless of who it is I'm talking to, so, with that in mind...

I was just entering the work force back then, doing odd temp jobs here and there. This one place I was sent to was a factory, making eurethane products for car headboards and dashboards. When I arrived there, one of the assistant managers walked me to where the employees clock in, while making small talk along the way. He was a nice down-to-earth kind of guy, but my SA was preventing me from making small talk back. During this one moment, he was standing face-to-face with me, and decided to ask me what my nationality was. By this time, I could barely focus and concentrate enough to stand, but when my brain finally analyzed the question like a very slow-moving microprocessor, I finally blurted out, "I'm a Jew"...

The thing is though, I'm NOT a Jew. LOL. That's just what came out of my mouth, without even thinking about it. I'm actually Caucasian with some mixed German and Polish. I didn't think about my nationality a whole lot back then, not even too much today. But getting back, I just had a hard time looking him in the eye, but he kept staring at me, and then he responded back with something along the lines of, "Hmm, you don't look too much like a Jew"... well, no kidding, lol... I think he then got the idea that I wasn't too interested in small talk, so he proceeded to walk me over to the assembly belt line, which became a borefest for the next 6 months.

But that was just a moment in my life which wasn't funny at the time - in fact, very uncomfortable - but only when I look back upon it do I realize how embarrassingly idiotic it was. I still cringe a little bit at the thought of it.

Anyone else have any stories like that?
haha... that could have worked to your advantage, if you had stayed longer maybe you would have gotten the jewish holidays off.

i've said a lot of stupid **** i didn't mean, i wouldn't think properly and say whatever came to mind first. i've mostly blocked those moments out though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Permanently Banned

re: Humorous SA moments

priceless
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:17 PM
R.I.P. Do not contact.

I once accidentally slammed my head into a piece of low metal staircase attempting to ignore a woman who was calling my name. Wasn't very funny at the time, however.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

LOL. I think that would have got me PO'ed at myself.

Physical pain on top of SA definitely isn't good. I've been there before.

But I agree. Wouldn't be funny at the time at all.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page