How long have you had social anxiety? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused

How long have you had social anxiety?

At what age and how did you manage it?

starting with me I had social anxiety ever since 15 years old, which coincidentally was when my vitamin D levels were deficienct, then I took supplement for vitamin D and I am feeling better than ever.

what about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 12:29 AM
Temporarily Banned

I've had it for about 40 or so years - ever since about 20, probably a bit more actually. When I read stories on here I realise it wasn't too bad - I still had friends and girlfriends when I was young - but it did affect my life a lot. Made it hard to go to Uni - couldn't do that until I was older and even then it was extremely difficult. Mainly held me back from having a career, but has also affected my social life - I tend to isolate myself and second guess myself a lot.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I've had it for about 40 or so years - ever since about 20, probably a bit more actually. When I read stories on here I realise it wasn't too bad - I still had friends and girlfriends when I was young - but it did affect my life a lot. Made it hard to go to Uni - couldn't do that until I was older and even then it was extremely difficult. Mainly held me back from having a career, but has also affected my social life - I tend to isolate myself and second guess myself a lot.
Oh interesting, Ive only dealt with social anxiety for 4 years so far, I cant imagine dealing with it for 40 years. I guess its a lifetime illness. How are you feeling now? Do you think its bearable to deal with Social anxiety for the rest of your life? All the best.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 01:17 AM
Temporarily Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post
Oh interesting, Ive only dealt with social anxiety for 4 years so far, I cant imagine dealing with it for 40 years. I guess its a lifetime illness. How are you feeling now? Do you think its bearable to deal with Social anxiety for the rest of your life? All the best.
Hi - well for me it's bearable, but I feel for some of the people on here. Especially people that have never been able to have a relationship etc - that's a very cruel thing to have to deal with. None of us should have to go through life all alone.

Yes, I would say it's a lifetime thing. Aspects of mine has changed but some haven't. I'm mostly okay thanks - I think I've been very lucky in my life overall. I'm in a position now where I don't really need to push myself much - but I guess that could be seen as good or bad, depending on your perspective. When you get to my age you start to get a bit tired sometimes so I often just don't bother.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 04:20 AM

For too long
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 04:39 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Question

since age, always same outlook, manner, approach, behaviour?

i have not

maybe critical to adapt, change to blend with any number of others?

parents never put anything into me, no influence or inspiration. they 50-year-old grandparents when i born. they burnt out? Dad talked about money, making it, some day, never spend any more than affordable.. etc. which didn't change any of my outlook.

All in life is so easy. every step in life.. day! Years, decades
gains, improvements? no, only loss, all the way! dwelling on childhood, in homes better than my current one. Wanted out of parents' home at end of school. boring. a fresh chapter indeed, a different county, that's all. others just go and live, work in different counties. all i ever had left was parents.. many home changes with them. many with my GF. my choice of new home for us went sourly bad. still here alone, since 2001. my resting place, graveyard. every job, not enuƒƒ!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 07:46 AM
SAS Member

Since 14 years old. I am now 23 and it has gotten out of control.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 07:53 AM
experimental sincerity

Hard to tell, certainly since I was 17, but possibly earlier. Now it's not too bad. In fact, barely there. I might be learning to live amongst people.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 09:14 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I first thought about suicide at the age of 12. I am 40 now. Even before then, I would run around saying I want to die. And of course everyone would just laugh and say I am being silly.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 01:06 PM
I am Jack's cold sweat

I was shy as a kid up through high school though didn't have much anxiety until my early 20s. It's ebbed and flowed over the years but has worsened over the last 2 or 3.

I've been out haunting the neighborhood
And everybody can see I'm no good
When I'm walking out between parked cars
With my head full of stars
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 02:53 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Had it since I was really young. I want to say since I was a baby but that sort of sounds ludicrous. I am almost 30, and it's slightly worse than it was when I was in my teen's. On one hand my attitude is better, but on the other I've noticed that I talk much less.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 02:55 PM
All Time Cute

since I was like 12 years old. I was ok as a child, but as I went into my teens and beyond, it started to take effect.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 04:59 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Whole life, but since beginning it only gets worse....

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Interesting to know everyone's story!

I hope everyone here can manage it in their lifetime (assuming that this anxiety is chronic)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 08:14 PM
SAS Member

Hi Ive had it since I was just a child in elementary school. I was scared to ask questions or participate. I am still trying to deal with it now with medication and therapy.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 08:43 PM
lagrimas negras

Probably my whole life. At 13 years old, we moved to a different,crappy and crowded neighborhood (again) and I started to notice that something was probably wrong with me. Waking up every morning on panic mode because I had to leave my room and deal with people wasn't normal.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 09:12 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
At what age and how did you manage it?

starting with me I had social anxiety ever since 15 years old, which coincidentally was when my vitamin D levels were deficienct, then I took supplement for vitamin D and I am feeling better than ever.

what about you?
Hi Shadow - first of all, your original post is interesting. I've never heard of anxiety being caused by a vitamin deficiency...although I've never researched into it either. That is certainly something I'm going to have checked for myself as I really feel that my personal SA could be caused by some form of imbalance in my body (whether that is a chemical imbalance in the brain or not). I think this because I've learnt to not worry about my anxiety anymore...I don't care what others think of me, I'm chilled. However, the anxiety never goes away. Some days it's worse than other days, when I would expect it to be better and vice versa!

I first realised something "wasn't quite right" when I was coming home from college one day on the bus, age 17. Up till then I was always a shy kid growing up but it was just that, shyness...not SA. Since then I would say it's gotten worse (I'm 28 years old now), although in the last 3 weeks or so since I've quite caffeine and alcohol I would say I'm at a decent place now. I used to have good days and loads of bad days, whereas now I consistently have decent days thanks to quitting the caffeine/alcohol. This is great and I hope the anxiety will lessen the further I get into my caffeine ban. The weird thing though is my SA when out talking to others has improved slightly, but I can have moments where it's worse than it's ever been...even now that I'm older and care less about it effecting me than when I was 21. A lot like others have said, I'm fortunate to have great people around me, hold down a good job, have a family etc. unlike others on here so for that I feel grateful.

See you around
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE. View Post
Hi Shadow - first of all, your original post is interesting. I've never heard of anxiety being caused by a vitamin deficiency...although I've never researched into it either. That is certainly something I'm going to have checked for myself as I really feel that my personal SA could be caused by some form of imbalance in my body (whether that is a chemical imbalance in the brain or not). I think this because I've learnt to not worry about my anxiety anymore...I don't care what others think of me, I'm chilled. However, the anxiety never goes away. Some days it's worse than other days, when I would expect it to be better and vice versa!

I first realised something "wasn't quite right" when I was coming home from college one day on the bus, age 17. Up till then I was always a shy kid growing up but it was just that, shyness...not SA. Since then I would say it's gotten worse (I'm 28 years old now), although in the last 3 weeks or so since I've quite caffeine and alcohol I would say I'm at a decent place now. I used to have good days and loads of bad days, whereas now I consistently have decent days thanks to quitting the caffeine/alcohol. This is great and I hope the anxiety will lessen the further I get into my caffeine ban. The weird thing though is my SA when out talking to others has improved slightly, but I can have moments where it's worse than it's ever been...even now that I'm older and care less about it effecting me than when I was 21. A lot like others have said, I'm fortunate to have great people around me, hold down a good job, have a family etc. unlike others on here so for that I feel grateful.

See you around
Thats great!

In regards to Vitamin D, a huge difference I notice is that I don't dwell in my negative thoughts anymore (if that makes sense) and when I am outside I dont have intrusive thoughts anymore, but I am still slightly discomforted in social settings.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 03:17 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Thats great!

In regards to Vitamin D, a huge difference I notice is that I don't dwell in my negative thoughts anymore (if that makes sense) and when I am outside I dont have intrusive thoughts anymore, but I am still slightly discomforted in social settings.
Thanks for the feedback. After doing more research, I'm going to try a Vitamin B complex. I reckon I get plenty of Vitamin D due to eating a lot of foods rich in it and working/exercising outdoors daily. I can't post links yet due to my low post count, so I'll copy & paste a section from an article I've read regarding what B-vitamins do what:

"Vitamin B1 is important for balancing blood sugar levels, which are a significant factor in anxiety levels.

Vitamin B3 plays a crucial role in the synthesis of serotonin and has been shown to help with anxiety at a dosage of 1,000-3,000mg per day.

Vitamin B5 supports the adrenal glands, which reduces stress and anxiety levels.

Vitamin B9 (also known as folate or folic acid) and vitamin B12 are important in balancing out depressive moods."

May be worth looking into for yourself also.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 03:51 AM
Permanently Banned

I was "shy" since I can remember myself.
It definitely got worse during my teenage years.
Now I am 30 and able to manage it better but still it negatively affects every aspect of my life.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page