Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

How long have you had social anxiety?

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  AngurisNesz 
#1 ·
At what age and how did you manage it?

starting with me I had social anxiety ever since 15 years old, which coincidentally was when my vitamin D levels were deficienct, then I took supplement for vitamin D and I am feeling better than ever.

what about you?

#2 ·
I've had it for about 40 or so years - ever since about 20, probably a bit more actually. When I read stories on here I realise it wasn't too bad - I still had friends and girlfriends when I was young - but it did affect my life a lot. Made it hard to go to Uni - couldn't do that until I was older and even then it was extremely difficult. Mainly held me back from having a career, but has also affected my social life - I tend to isolate myself and second guess myself a lot.

#3 ·
Oh interesting, Ive only dealt with social anxiety for 4 years so far, I cant imagine dealing with it for 40 years. I guess its a lifetime illness. How are you feeling now? Do you think its bearable to deal with Social anxiety for the rest of your life? All the best.

#6 ·
since age, always same outlook, manner, approach, behaviour?

i have not

maybe critical to adapt, change to blend with any number of others?

parents never put anything into me, no influence or inspiration. they 50-year-old grandparents when i born. they burnt out? Dad talked about money, making it, some day, never spend any more than affordable.. etc. which didn't change any of my outlook.

All in life is so easy. every step in life.. day! Years, decades
gains, improvements? no, only loss, all the way! dwelling on childhood, in homes better than my current one. Wanted out of parents' home at end of school. boring. a fresh chapter indeed, a different county, that's all. others just go and live, work in different counties. all i ever had left was parents.. many home changes with them. many with my GF. my choice of new home for us went sourly bad. still here alone, since 2001. my resting place, graveyard. every job, not enuƒƒ!

#8 ·
Hard to tell, certainly since I was 17, but possibly earlier. Now it's not too bad. In fact, barely there. I might be learning to live amongst people.

#15 ·
Probably my whole life. At 13 years old, we moved to a different,crappy and crowded neighborhood (again) and I started to notice that something was probably wrong with me. Waking up every morning on panic mode because I had to leave my room and deal with people wasn't normal.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
At what age and how did you manage it?

starting with me I had social anxiety ever since 15 years old, which coincidentally was when my vitamin D levels were deficienct, then I took supplement for vitamin D and I am feeling better than ever.

what about you?
Hi Shadow - first of all, your original post is interesting. I've never heard of anxiety being caused by a vitamin deficiency...although I've never researched into it either. That is certainly something I'm going to have checked for myself as I really feel that my personal SA could be caused by some form of imbalance in my body (whether that is a chemical imbalance in the brain or not). I think this because I've learnt to not worry about my anxiety anymore...I don't care what others think of me, I'm chilled. However, the anxiety never goes away. Some days it's worse than other days, when I would expect it to be better and vice versa!

I first realised something "wasn't quite right" when I was coming home from college one day on the bus, age 17. Up till then I was always a shy kid growing up but it was just that, shyness...not SA. Since then I would say it's gotten worse (I'm 28 years old now), although in the last 3 weeks or so since I've quite caffeine and alcohol I would say I'm at a decent place now. I used to have good days and loads of bad days, whereas now I consistently have decent days thanks to quitting the caffeine/alcohol. This is great and I hope the anxiety will lessen the further I get into my caffeine ban. The weird thing though is my SA when out talking to others has improved slightly, but I can have moments where it's worse than it's ever been...even now that I'm older and care less about it effecting me than when I was 21. A lot like others have said, I'm fortunate to have great people around me, hold down a good job, have a family etc. unlike others on here so for that I feel grateful.

See you around:smile2:

#17 ·
Thats great!

In regards to Vitamin D, a huge difference I notice is that I don't dwell in my negative thoughts anymore (if that makes sense) and when I am outside I dont have intrusive thoughts anymore, but I am still slightly discomforted in social settings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.