How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected you? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected you?
I am/was infected by COVID-19 0 0%
I was laid off due to COVID-19 5 12.20%
I am now working from home due to COVID-19 13 31.71%
I am self-isolating due to COVID-19 14 34.15%
A loved one was infected by COVID-19 1 2.44%
I have to wear a mask everywhere I go 23 56.10%
I'm homebound due to COVID-19 16 39.02%
It hasn't affected me at all 5 12.20%
Not sure 0 0%
What is COVID-19? 3 7.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Doubtful
Question

How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected you?

How has your life changed due to the pandemic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 04:36 AM
bipolar

It's ****ing horrible. It scares the living crap out of me and is making me feel like I'm going insane.

We've been in lockdown for ages, we can't go more than 5kms from our homes and there's a curfew at night. Which is okay - we need to try and get rid of it but it's making me a lot worse than I would normally be. Which isn't all that good.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 04:50 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Reminder. This is not a political thread. It's in the polls section. If it gets political, those posts will be moved or deleted. There are probably a dozen other Covid threads in S&C and Politics where you can post that stuff.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 04:55 AM
Permanently Banned

all of the above?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 04:26 AM
SAS Member

Language: Yes
I feel kind of bad for saying this cause it's taken such a negative toll on so many people but I love it (for me personally). This is such a blessing in disguise for me. It's literally my introverted dream come true.

Don't have to go to work, government's subsidizing what I would get paid if I was going to work because I'm temporarily stood down due to Covid which means my only commitment right now is University. SO. MUCH. FREE. TIME. It's given me the chance to really focus on myself and help myself mentally too. I'm in a way better place than I was 6 months ago.

Wouldn't want to do this forever though but I won't be complaining if this lifestyle rolls into next year either.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 04:53 PM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
I had been fighting my anxiety, and I'd just gotten to the point of being able to go to the library, and to sit in Tim Hortons long enough to drink a cup of coffee, when COVID hit. Now all that progress has been lost and I'm back where I started. But it hasn't affected me nearly as much as it's affected most people, since I'm already an isolated hermit who works from home.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 05:51 PM
Failure's Art

These three:
I am now working from home due to COVID-19
I am self-isolating due to COVID-19
I have to wear a mask everywhere I go

And probably this one sometime next year if things don't improve:
I was laid off due to COVID-19

Basically just feels like my whole is kind of on hold for now. Was supposed take a vacation with friend(s) spring of 2021, guess that won't happen now. And worried my parents and extended family could get sick.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 06:00 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I stopped hanging out before the Pandemic anyways (long story) but the Pandemic just shut me in further. Didn't get to see the person I wanted to see. It made me clean more and read more.

I m afraid of not being enough
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 07:15 PM
late bloomer

Language: Tagalog, English
I'm getting back to my melancholic self again
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 10:46 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Well, I'm working from home rather than in the office, so that is the biggest change. I prefer it that way. Since moving to this city, I haven't been socializing much at all, so not much change there, but what little socializing I did at work is now gone.

For me the the worst thing about the pandemic is that I feel stuck. I can't even fantasize about change. I really want to quit my current job. I have for a long time. But good luck finding a new job in this economy. And then there is the issue of how would I even get to a new job since I don't drive. Relying on public transit is just really bad with the coronavirus going on. Being trained remotely? That just sounds so difficult.

I also had wanted to start meeting new people. But now that is completely impossible. Just feel stuck in my current situation. In my dumpy little apartment, no friends, crappy job. It would be worse but it could be a lot better.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 10:55 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
I had more hours to work during lockdown and still had to go to work while others got a free holiday.

it made me feel better about staying home the rest of the time because everyone was meant to. but I couldn't see friends for a few months.

but it hasn't made much difference for a while. a little bit of apprehension over going into another lockdown. a bit feeling like the government doesnt give a **** about people. but that's super mild here compared to other places!

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 08:40 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Selected
  • I have to wear a mask everywhere I go
  • I'm homebound due to COVID-19
  • Other

My job hunt has been highly delayed & is now ten times worse (Note: I started job hunting pre-COVID). Unfortunately, I can't keep going on like this and am looking into joining the military in the next 2 or 3 months. Funny enough, I read about many people in their mid/late 20s who did the same thing in the 2008 Recession. Then, I'll admit that I've been miserable (and losing a lot of weight) due to being stuck in a household with toxic people for abnormally long periods of time.

I also pity uni kids these days. My 18-year-old brother, who's in uni, is having a hard time with these crazy adjustments at his ghost town of a campus.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 07:51 AM
SAS Member

Talking

How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected you?

I don't know about anyone else, but for me it has been a silver lining. I hated my facial appearance and wanted to wear a mask when going outside but didn't want to look weird. Especially inside buses and trains where people sit down and stare at you... it gave me the worst anxiety! I also noticed the cashiers are more friendly towards me. I would rarely ever be greeted by cashier with a "how are you", but I get it more often when I'm wearing a mask. Overall, it has been a blessing for my social anxiety!
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 01:49 PM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
It's just been a complete whirlwind rollercoaster. I'm being very brief.

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 11:04 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: Created my own language for context
Covid 19 affected the jobs, businesses, relationships, living conditions, social interaction, library and education.

I can't even go to the library in NYC to concentrate on my college assignments.

Signature Under Construction - Be back very soon to update knowledge!

In the meantime. I'll perfect my writing techniques.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 01:19 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I get to work from home on university courses, I am self-isolating, I wear a mask whenever I leave the house and I'm basically homebound.

It sucks that most people are being negatively impacted by the virus but it creates an ideal scenario for an introverted loner like me; I always hated having to actually commute to school, walk around campus and deal with people face-to-face. There are tradeoffs of course, like I don't think online learning works as well for me personally, but I'll take them over the anxiety of being around so many people every day. Now I have the perfect excuse to stay home pretty much all the time, except picking up groceries in the store parking lots for my elderly parents. And I actually like wearing the mask, though it does get hot after too long.

I'm afraid of having to go back to school once the virus subsides, so I'm selfishly hoping it'll last at least another year because I'm almost done with my degree.

"Sin" is an imaginary disease invented to sell you an imaginary cure.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 05:11 AM
SAS Member

Language: French/English
Coronaphobia and the restrictions were what was harmful around here. The Covid did less damage tha nthe society did. Nice work to our government and the W.H.O. --- Novus Ordo Seclorum soon to come.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 07:31 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
All my life I have pretty much lived in fear of tomorrow for one reason or another (it's always something) so in that way, it's not that much different. I have always felt like my life was an impossible situation any way you look at it. So this is just piling on, really. I'm not really surprised because it's just my luck that something like this would happen right now when I'm completely helpless and any small amount of luck I might have had is running out as far as just my living situation and my health and so forth. I knew as soon as I heard about it this was gonna be a train wreck. With my luck, it just couldn't miss.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 02:22 PM
SAS member

Language: English, and hopefully fluent Japanese one day...
My Mood: Cool
Before the pandemic, I took the opportunity to exercise for granted. Back then I would choose not to workout even when my apartment's fitness room was close by. It was only when the parks and gyms closed that I realized the importance of my physical health.

Let something be available all the time and there's less urgency to go.
But close everything and that ability to choose disappears, leaving you feeling trapped and restrained.

Now that everything is open again I appreciate what I have (especially quality brand toilet paper)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderblitz View Post
I hate it. Wearing mask everywhere s**ks. In my country the govt is doing such logic gymnastics that its beyond the scope of absurdity (wear mask at cafe, but you CAN put it away while drinking, BUT put it on again when going to the toilet, but while at the toilet you can put it down...),
Yeah, Planet Fitness went back and forth on their regulations too

John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 04:27 PM
bipolar

At first it was driving me insane. It scared the hell out of me and still does to some extent, but now Australia's getting it under control I feel a lot better. Mostly now I just feel incredibly bored from being locked down for so long - plus it will be forever before we can travel again. (except maybe to New Zealand for God's sake) No offence NZer's

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page