How Do You Plan Your Therapy/Counselling Sessions? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
Wink

How Do You Plan Your Therapy/Counselling Sessions?

For those of you in therapy I just wanna know - how do you go about planning your sessions and what you want to talk about?

Do you plan ahead what you wanna talk about in a session, or do you just go there and see what falls out of your mouth?

I'm finding it ovewhelming thinking of things to talk about in my sessions because i HAVE alot to talk about I just dunno where to begin or start. I find 50 minutes not long enough to talk so I have to condense some things and come back to them later but that's just annoying!

I was thinking of splitting all the areas I want to talk about into topics and having a different topic each week. But that doesn't leave room for spontaneity.

Let me know what you do!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Wow...I panic in therapy and generally lose my ability to speak all together. No matter how much I plan and practice, generally what I talk about in therapy is nothing. In fact I've had so many failed therapy attempts that I'm now seeing someone new just to teach me how to be comfortable enough in therapy to talk. So now I'm in remedial pre-therapy! lol

Can you ask your therapist for ideas on this? Can you email them during the week? (Assuming you go weekly). Maybe if you send them some ideas of what's going on for you they can help you organize your thoughts and time when you get there. Or maybe do some journaling to help get your thoughts more clear in your own head before you talk about them? Or write about them here or talk to a trusted friend. I would imagine the more you process your thoughts prior to going in, the more you'll be settled on what's the priority by the time you get to the session.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Thread Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbird7 View Post
Wow...I panic in therapy and generally lose my ability to speak all together. No matter how much I plan and practice, generally what I talk about in therapy is nothing. In fact I've had so many failed therapy attempts that I'm now seeing someone new just to teach me how to be comfortable enough in therapy to talk. So now I'm in remedial pre-therapy! lol

Can you ask your therapist for ideas on this? Can you email them during the week? (Assuming you go weekly). Maybe if you send them some ideas of what's going on for you they can help you organize your thoughts and time when you get there. Or maybe do some journaling to help get your thoughts more clear in your own head before you talk about them? Or write about them here or talk to a trusted friend. I would imagine the more you process your thoughts prior to going in, the more you'll be settled on what's the priority by the time you get to the session.
That's interesting. Therapy-ception

Anyhoo I basically told my therapist what i wrote here and she told me not to worry basically. whatevery wants to come out will come out. I still like to plan what i want to converse about before the session. i hope your therapy goes well.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:12 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Unhappy

HEALTH ASSESSMENT + Work Capability Assessment

Fri 21/6/19

haunted, Ghostly! something very wrong i cannot define

again Wed 3/7/19 ?

they "sent the wrong Assessor"! some make mistakes? never me!

next time it should be the right one..?

my rights? I lose... by judgement?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Thread Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy666 View Post
Fri 21/6/19

haunted, Ghostly! something very wrong i cannot define

again Wed 3/7/19 ?

they "sent the wrong Assessor"! some make mistakes? never me!

next time it should be the right one..?

my rights? I lose... by judgement?
huh? 3rd ofjuly hasnt happened yet?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:43 PM
bipolar

I think it's a good idea to plan it a bit - especially after a while. Otherwise you just end up talking about what you've been doing etc. Can pay to give some thought as to what it is you're actually wanting out of the sessions.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Thread Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I think it's a good idea to plan it a bit - especially after a while. Otherwise you just end up talking about what you've been doing etc. Can pay to give some thought as to what it is you're actually wanting out of the sessions.
Do you plan harrison? If so, how do you?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:59 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
Do you plan harrison? If so, how do you?
I don't have a therapist at the moment but in the past I know that we'd end up just talking about whatever came up. Especially if I'd been seeing them for quite a long time. I should have planned it a bit or at least made it more clear what I wanted from the therapist.

Then of course you've got the problem of whether you agree with their methods/opinions. I had a problem with my last therapist about that, I just didn't think what he was suggesting was a good idea. Plus he seemed to lack a bit of knowledge I thought was pretty important so I sort of lost faith in him. It was a shame because he was a nice guy and not all his ideas were bad.

Maybe you could talk to your therapist and work out a bit of a plan between the two of you as to how your going to try and approach things. He/she should have a pretty good idea as to how they might be able to help you - eg setting small goals to achieve with his/her support. That sort of thing.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:14 AM
Permanent identity crisis

I journal throughout the week and then speak abt whatever comes up in the moment or what's been on my mind. We rarely talk abt just what happened in the week, it's more what happened in relation to the broad themes that we've been working on the throughout.

Since my therapist's background is relational and most of my issues stem from attachment, we talk a lot about how I feel in relation to her cause it def mirrors how I feel in relation to others. (Prob the case with many since the therapeutic relationship is the engine that facilitates the work.)

What is important, imo, is having pretty clear goals you're working towards in therapy. You may go in knowing or it may be a bit nebulous and take shape over a few weeks or months. Since we know my goals, every session is in the service of moving me towards them no matter the structure. Cause I imagine the work might be very different if my goal was to... Idk find a husband or reduce panic attacks or whatever instead of what they are now.

On enhanced mobile I don't receive notifications besides pms. Apologies if I don't respond.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:23 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Sometimes I come up with something to talk about beforehand, but it usually doesn't work out properly once I enter their office.

I generally have a difficult time speaking anyway. Not because I'm uncomfortable with the subject matter, but because I just can't get any words out. That also factors into not being able to discuss anything I thought about before that particular session.

My doctor is understanding of this, but it does lessen any attempts at actually discussing anything worthwhile most of the time.

Your mileage may vary.

I don't care if it's dangerous or not...I'm going to town either way.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Thread Writer

We don't have goals in my sessions. Its literally just talking about things. Is that bad?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:33 AM
Permanent identity crisis

Quote:
We don't have goals in my sessions. Its literally just talking about things. Is that bad?
Oops my mistake then. See that's my bias assuming that all therapy is done the way my therapists have done it.

Btw, we don't go over my goals every session. It's more like at the beginning of us working together initially they ask- what are you hoping to get out of therapy? Basically why are you here? If you're depressed you prob would like to be less depressed, same with anxiety, some are having marital issues or difficulty with work, children, meaning in life, addiction, weight loss, sometimes pple literally just need someone to talk to or throw ideas around with, etc. Even if it's not explicitly stated there's a general idea of where you're headed.

But anyway, no it's not bad to not talk abt goals and just talk; there's nothing wrong with however it's done. You're the arbiter of whether or not it's working for you. As long as you feel validated, relatively safe to talk and they're not crossing any boundaries it's all good. Psychologists and psychotherapists study so many different approaches that as long as you're getting whatever you want to be getting it's all good.

On enhanced mobile I don't receive notifications besides pms. Apologies if I don't respond.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
It depends.

Personally I get a few things out of therapy:

1. My therapist is like the parent I didn't have. She guides me in certain ways, offers a perspective which I have to some degree managed to internalise (that is part of the therapy I do, though).
2. I get a mood boost from the session, usually.
3. I feel validated, listened to and not dismissed and minimised, like most other people do in my life.
4. Some sessions there are some very big shifts in my perspective, I come out and my brain "tingles", that hasn't happened for a long time, though.

So for me, personally if it's just "talking about things", or just 3 as above, that wouldn't cut it, or it might for very cheap therapy, but not for what my therapist charges. I need someone at the minimum who can offer some insight into issues, allow me to find a better perspective and who I feel is helping me to move forwards, in whatever way. I don't pay for a chat.

That being said, I feel that most of the work I can do with my current therapist has been done, almost. I see her once a month now, which kinda acts to straighten me up a bit and keep me moving forwards.

I can't speak for you, though.

Dimethylamidophenyldimethylpyrazolone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page