How do you not feel hurt? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How do you not feel hurt?

I joined Twitter to meet other fans of an artist I have loved for years. I've been struggling to get followers and make friends. There is this one big fan account and the girl behind it posts regularly about the artist, but also about anxiety, depression, etc. I have commented a few times on her tweets and she "liked" my replies. I decided now that she "knows" I should follow her because she might follow back. I did and then direct messaged her saying I really like her account, I'm glad I discovered it, etc. Result: she left me on read!! Not even a simple thank you for praising her account. I'm hurt and I'm mad. I want to unfollow her so I'm not contributing to her follower count. Is there a way that someone could not feel hurt by this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 02:53 PM
Happy little accidents

Some people on twitter don't reply to dm's. It could be this person doesn't feel comfortable talking privately with strangers. Try not to take it personally. She could also just not be interested, which there's not much you can do about.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 03:35 PM
acceptable loss

My Mood: Worried
I agree with musicfan. A lot of people on social media don't even see other people on social media as real people, to be honest. I know it's hard, but you just have to try and set your ego aside and realize it's not a personal attack on you, she doesn't even know you. If this was someone you knew IRL it would be a different story, but this is a total stranger online, and it's most likely not personal at all.

Now I'm Nothing

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 05:39 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
To be fair I don't answer to dm's often as well... But it's mostly due to lack of idea what to say... Or it's just not that important at all...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 04:07 AM
SAS Member

Language: el lughat el 3rabiya (Masr+Fus7a) wal lughat el ingliziya
How many followers are we talking about here? The larger the "follower/fan base", the more likely you'll just be a number who shouldn't expect much in return. I stopped with the mainstream social media crap years ago. But that's a whole other topic.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 06:14 AM
SAS Member

Social media seems to cause more disconnection than connections. People can easily ignore you, which is what the person did.
I'd try and look into a less commercial website than Twitter to share about being a fan of music. Music forums might be more appropriate to discuss.
On social media, people are so ignorant, they barely know how the platforms works and act like drunk people all over. It's a popularity contest and always will be.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:44 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
Social media seems to cause more disconnection than connections. People can easily ignore you, which is what the person did.
I'd try and look into a less commercial website than Twitter to share about being a fan of music. Music forums might be more appropriate to discuss.
On social media, people are so ignorant, they barely know how the platforms works and act like drunk people all over. It's a popularity contest and always will be.
Social media is 100% a popularity contest. I thought it would be a lot easier to display confidence in online spaces, but I hardly find this to be true. I tried a few discord channels in the past and while I know it's not quite the same as instagram or snapchat, I still had a really hard time "fitting in", so I eventually left those channels.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page