How did you do in school - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How did you do in school

Did social anxiety intervene in your academic achievements?

Edit: is there a way to change the title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 11:44 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
it did but pre-social anxiety I did well. I learned a lot and after I got social anxiety I still did well in courses but not all of them.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:27 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Probably at times moreso with avoiding extra curricular stuff and also sometimes not asking for help, but most of the time not really for example I actually got good grades sometimes from presentation stuff. Like this one diary entry we had to write about creepy teenage twins in English and then read to the class. But I did bad in school in general I mostly got c's and d's except a few B's in graphic design coursework (did terribly on exams in that subject though,) occasionally in science and A/A*'s in history. Also in IT we had to redo all of our first year coursework and come in at weekends to do this because our first teacher ****ed up before retiring, and the next teacher came in and was like 'this isn't what you were all supposed to be doing.' So that was a fun time. So some of it was also **** teachers probably due to being from a **** town. I also had a really bad and homophobic maths teacher for years. I realised what good maths teachers were like when I retook GCSE maths in sixth form.

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 01:47 PM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Depression meant I screwed up in school.I had 0 motivation, and wanted to kill myself and didn't see a future for myself so i didn't see any point in studying or applying myself. so i just got average or below grades in everything

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 01:10 PM
SAS Member

I took a “C” in my art history class in stead of getting an “A” because I didn’t want to do the final presentation. Didn’t raise my hand or contribute to the class discussions either. Looking back, I was very distracted by my anxiety when talking to people And I wasted a lot of time ruminating on how weird I acted and feeling bitter towards the world because I felt unaccepted. I wasn’t motivated to achieve because without friends I was never going to be happy no matter what job title I had or how much money I made. I changed my mind about money- it definitely makes my life easier
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 07:02 PM
⚾🚀📝📸🎬💾🎲⛰🍪💡

Language: None
I never had the nerve to ask a question or go to office hours or study with another student, even as I flunked out of my major. I can only guess that maybe things might've gone better if I'd had social nerve. But it didn't affect my grades too much directly, I always seemed to muddle through presentations with a decent enough score to not torpedo my class grade. And all the classes I flunked didn't have any presentations or in-class social requirements.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 08:00 PM
SAS Member

I think until university my SA helped academically. In highschool I had the same friends from elementary so I didn't have to worry about being alone and everyone knew me so no one really freaked out about my awkward behaviour.

While in class I didn't want to chat with other peers, so I payed attention to what was actually taught instead of wasting time messing up with others like most of my classmates did. I don't think if that's the main reason I did good, maybe my interest for the subjects also helped. I have to say though, I had mediocre grades in language subjects and history, and I relate that to my conversational difficulty and trouble recalling events, which also contributes to my anxiety when it comes to talking with people.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 08:03 PM
YAS Member

My highest degree is a high school diploma but I'm glad I at least have that. My anxiety was so bad I dreamed of dropping out.
I mean I was lucky to get the degree because I am not the smartest person and I hardly ever asked for help. I still graduated with a 3.5 I think.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:31 PM
SAS Member

I did decent in elementary school, but middle school was when I experienced the most anxiety. I was skipping so much school in 6th and 7th grade until I eventually stopped going altogether in 8th grade. I'm supposed to be in 9th grade now, but I'm scared to start studying again after how anxious I felt in school. My experience with anxiety has left me so behind academically, that I'm afraid I might end up being a school dropout. I wish it wasn't this way, but I know I can't change the things that have already happened. I can only change what I'm doing with my life now.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:37 PM
Long Term Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlushx View Post
I did decent in elementary school, but middle school was when I experienced the most anxiety. I was skipping so much school in 6th and 7th grade until I eventually stopped going altogether in 8th grade. I'm supposed to be in 9th grade now, but I'm scared to start studying again after how anxious I felt in school. My experience with anxiety has left me so behind academically, that I'm afraid I might end up being a school dropout. I wish it wasn't this way, but I know I can't change the things that have already happened. I can only change what I'm doing with my life now.
Have you tried talking to your school? Your parents? Maybe they can help you getting back on track, you're barely in 9th grade, don't think about dropping out already. I'm sure a lot people your age are in the same position you're in. You just need to reach out and ask for help, maybe even your classmates.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:46 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Have you tried talking to your school? Your parents? Maybe they can help you getting back on track, you're barely in 9th grade, don't think about dropping out already. I'm sure a lot people your age are in the same position you're in. You just need to reach out and ask for help, maybe even your classmates.
I can't contact any teachers or classmates anymore, as I stopped attending school. My parents are supportive of me whether I'm in school or not, though I am thinking about doing homeschool instead when I can handle it. I currently can't even take care of myself properly, but once I do manage to have motivation I'll try to study again.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 10:02 PM
Long Term Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlushx View Post
I can't contact any teachers or classmates anymore, as I stopped attending school. My parents are supportive of me whether I'm in school or not, though I am thinking about doing homeschool instead when I can handle it. I currently can't even take care of myself properly, but once I do manage to have motivation I'll try to study again.
Can you clarify what you mean by taking care of yourself properly? Yeah I can understand how it feels to be unable to actually find the motivation to do any school work, especially during these times.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 10:49 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by taking care of yourself properly? Yeah I can understand how it feels to be unable to actually find the motivation to do any school work, especially during these times.
I kind of just meant laziness by saying that. It takes me hours, or even days before I can clean myself or sleep. I cant even do the things I used to like doing because I cant pay attention anymore. I am trying to work on these things though so that I can hopefully start being able to study and socialize, and even if Its hard for me to even want to do those things Im still trying to overcome my difficulties with them anyways.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 12:08 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
It was horrible. It made my anxiety worse by few times and also gave me ocd...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 12:08 AM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
My anxiety wasn't an issue until after high school. The problem for me in hs was bullying and a general inability to remember certain kinds of information. By my last year of hs, I was failing all 6 of my courses and I just dropped out. I went back later and got my hs diploma at another school (with lower academic standards) but I couldn't get a student loan, so I don't have any postsecondary degrees.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 03:25 AM
Nefelibata

My grades were on the higher side but at some point, they dropped to average (B or B-) in some subjects because I couldn't get myself to give a **** anymore. I wanted to be done with high school especially grades 11 & 12. In retrospect, I think my depression and anxiety probably started in mid-to-late high school and sadly I didn't receive the treatment I needed which held me back in some areas of life. As for friends, I haven't managed to keep any of them from school I used to feel too different and inferior from the majority of them. I did better in University though

I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.
✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧
─ Anas Nin
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 04:14 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
In a way, I think the old thing where people encourage their kids to try as hard as they possibly can (even if they're strugging) is wrongheaded.

While many kids probably can struggle through school if they put everything they've got into it, they're still struggling and there won't be any record of it in the future so people will think kids who made decent grades are lying later on in life if they say they really struggle with learning. So if you fight the current all the way through school, you'll probably be expected to fight the current all your life.

There are so many things about the way we do education that are probably not the best.

/WYSD
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 05:09 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Tired
Due to depression and social anxiety, my performance in high school was abysmal. After getting the proper meds and support, I flourished in university. I received numerous class high scores, attained an academic scholarship, and I graduated with a high GPA.

I'm proud of my achievements, but I'm currently in a slump and living in the past. I need to move onto graduate school, if I can secure a scholarship.

I'm not sure what else to do with myself, given how frequently I'm widely disliked at work. University was the only place I was happy -- not due to the socializing aspect of it, but because I enjoy learning.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 07:55 AM
SAS Member

I was home schooled in middle school because I thought I had it bad, then I transferred to another school and ended up injuring my head.
Though, I regret being pulled out of school because I never learned how to properly socialize with people. It was probably the worst decision I ever made.
If anyone here has social anxiety and wants to home school, don't do it! You will regret it and will be worse off than when you were in school. (even more afraid of people)

H.P.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 01:10 PM

Language: English (British), German to some extent.
My Mood: Blah
At school, I was pretty good at most subjects (grades 1 or 2, under the old Scottish Standard Grade exam system, and all A or B in Highers). I even got a grade 2 in physics, a subject which contains a fair bit of maths. Think I could maybe have done the same in maths, but I wasn't given the chance to do Credit Level maths, only General Level, so only got a 3. Whether it's reasonable or not, that still annoys me, I was one of the pupils who had special one-on-one remedial maths lessons (the school did them for English as well, I didn't need that). I spent lots of time revising for exams, and was always better at them than coursework.

At uni (in England), I did a huge amount of work and continued to be better at exams, really. But some if not a lot of other people did even more, and someone once commented that I seemed quite laid-back. I had huge problems with the undergraduate dissertation, and also various personal issues. Perhaps part of the problem as well was that I stayed very attached to hand-writing even long essays for a long time, in the era when almost everything was gradually moving to word-processing. IIRC that sometimes annoyed the staff. Could have got a better degree. Then, unfortunately in hindsight, I stayed at the same uni for another year, attempting to get an MA. It was probably a bad choice of subject, and I couldn't complete the dissertation. So only got a Postgrad diploma, sadly. I actually applied to do a PHD as well, but think the uni were quite glad to get rid of me in the end, which was a shame.

his girl is a tortoise, wandering in the long grass and streaming rain, between fire and ice in a sense

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page