How Closed Off Are You? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How Closed Off Are You?

I'm very much so at this stage.

I don't bother trying to talk to anyone unless I have to. I keep to myself.

I'm tired of being rejected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 08:00 PM
anxiolytic

Language: 'Merican
i knoooooooooooo right?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 08:06 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
Super duper closed off. I don't think you could eke a Hi from me if you were the friendliest person on the planet. Maybe if you were an unassuming kid who waves at people. Or a curious baby. That's about it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 08:18 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
I'm becoming more so as time goes on.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 08:59 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
To an unhealthy degree. The alternative is being ostracized and made fun of ( Due to social awkwardness and nervous mannerisms ) so I think it's wise for me to maintain impenetrable walls in social settings.

It's mind boggling how people who are held in high regard and considered "nice" by everyone can easily get away with blatantly bullying the weird person that no one likes essentially showing their true colors and everyone just turns a blind eye to it. Humans are remarkable.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 09:32 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
to strangers? 100%. colleagues: 100%. flatmates: 100%. family: 80%. close friend: 30%. other friend(s): 65%.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 09:46 PM
Cured of SA

Language: English, Spanish
My Mood: Angelic
I wouldn't say I'm closed off, people just don't seem to want to come in. I blame my high functioning autism for either intimidating people or being too weird for their liking.

ďLet the wise hear and increase their learning, and let those of good comprehension seek guidance." - Proverbs 1:5
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 10:34 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Very.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelinquishedHell View Post
To an unhealthy degree. The alternative is being ostracized and made fun of ( Due to social awkwardness and nervous mannerisms ) so I think it's wise for me to maintain impenetrable walls in social settings.

It's mind boggling how people who are held in high regard and considered "nice" by everyone can easily get away with blatantly bullying the weird person that no one likes essentially showing their true colors and everyone just turns a blind eye to it. Humans are remarkable.
How true!

It amazes me how people blindly follow the bully.

I've been singled out at every workplace by a person who is friendly to everyone and disrespectful towards me.

That person would bit.ch about me and people just believe them. Even though they know I'm a nice person.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 02:29 AM
Pesky Pessimist

Yeah. I'm closed off from others, only because they decide to be closed off from me, and only me. Due to how pathetic and unrewarding I am to even interact with. I finally decided to be considerate and unselfish and cut myself off from others. To spare them of my presence.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 03:00 AM
experimental sincerity

Not at all. I'm actually putting in quite a bit of effort to talk to people. While I do get tired and run off back to my cave to recharge, talking to people has been rewarding. It helps that I'm much more relaxed about the outcome than I was even a year ago.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 03:50 AM
SAS Member

I'm not a closed off person at all. I'm usually pretty open with people. I do avoid certain situations - but when I'm actually talking to people I can be pretty outgoing and friendly.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 07:47 AM
SAS Member

With this COVID I furthered close myself off. I have not been into the office during normal operating time since Apr 1st. I only go in like at 5 am to do things I canít from home. Then the same with getting groceries. I am not doing much socializing outside my immediate family. I always been a loner even when I was a small child. No one really like me after they get to know me. They discover I am a broken person and they donít want someone like this to deal with.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 07:17 PM
Fupa King

Language: English
Well I haven't really successfully integrated new people into my life for about 15 or so years so I'm pretty closed off. I can't carry on a conversation beyond simple "yes" or "no" answers (unless I'm pressed to do so which most people don't have the patience to conversate with me at my pace). I think most people don't mind me that much at this point, but I'm not so sure they like me that much either. Even if I managed to learn small talk, I'm not so sure that would fix my fundamental inability to connect with most people. I think I actually operate at an intensity that most people aren't prepared for anyway even if my shell collapsed and I "opened up" more.

Life's Wack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page