Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Coping With Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/)
-   -   How Are You With Eye Contact (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/how-are-you-with-eye-contact-2227179/)

twitchy666 10-31-2019 11:59 PM

only negativity of humans

all determined to fight, brutal abuse, mock,

no pleasantry in any person. just mirror everyone's darkside directly

all starts with their trigger. ensure they get it back. multiply it

human nature

bully

humanoid war outright

truant 11-01-2019 12:01 AM

I avoid making eye contact most of the time because it just makes people uncomfortable and some people seem to take it as an invitation to harass me. I'm okay with it in 1-to-1 conversation, but I mostly talk to cashiers/service people, and they mostly don't even look at me, so it's not really a problem.

Yer Blues 11-03-2019 07:15 PM

Never been able to do it. Our noses usually get in the way.

Shyy22 11-04-2019 06:06 AM

Not good I actually do try to look at people in the eye but then they look away and it’s gets awkward so now when I talk to people I kinda give eye contact but not really 😕

Blue Dino 11-05-2019 01:58 AM

If I have to make eye contact, I need to only give eye contact for a few seconds and then look away for awhile, in order to talk and listen. If not and I maintain constant eye contact, I will have trouble with active listening and also convey my thoughts due to anxiety. Unless in professional situations, where I know I have to maintain more constant eye contact. In those situations, I force myself to, which oddly I do fine in those situations. Casual social interactions, I cannot do this. Especially with people I know better ironically I will be worse at maintaining eye contact. I think it's because people I know better, I am better at reading their eye and facial expression in how they think about me. Strangers or people I know less well, I don't. Thus I have less eye contact anxiety with them.

improbablyinlovewithu 11-06-2019 08:04 PM

i always think i'm fine with it until after the conversation i realize i have no idea what the person looks like cause i didn't look at them long enough

TheReflectingFlux 11-06-2019 08:10 PM

It's no problem at all

I only go out at night, and like Wyclef I wear my sunglasses ;-)

CringeMaster 11-07-2019 06:32 PM

I'm awful at eye contact. People return a pained squint if I look them in the eyes too long, which results in me projecting all my insecurities onto them thereby compelling me to look away. I'm not entirely sure how to get over this problem. I've tried just about everything.

AbbasGreen 11-08-2019 09:29 PM

I also noticed if there is a bit of Adrenalin the eye contact issue goes away. Like at work if something a bit serious is going on I give eye contact very effectively. But it depends on the context.