How Anxiety Affects Health and your LifeSpan - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 01:14 AM
SAS Member

As they say, stress nowadays is the main cause or trigger of sickness such as cancer especially if no one in the family does not have it. And yeah i think that anxiety is a bit different from stress though they are co-synonymous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 02:01 AM
😀

It’s better that way
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Yes, mental health does affect physical health by quite a bit.
I agree mental health does affect physical health by quite a bit.

I remember having a casual social conversation with a woman who worked as therapist a few years ago. She told me her anxiety patients on average look about 10 years older then there actual age. So anxiety does age you prematurely. She said thats why is very important to learn to manage your anxiety in a healthy way (not with drugs or drinking like a whole lot of people do to cope)

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 02:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
I agree mental health does affect physical health by quite a bit/

I remember having a casual social conversation with a woman who worked as therapist a few years ago. She told me her anxiety patients on average look about 10 years older then there actual age. So anxiety does age you prematurely. She said thats why is very important to learn to manage your anxiety in a healthy way (not with drugs or drinking like a whole lot of people do to cope)
The thing its very hard not to feel anxiety, especially when someone is already prone to neuroticism due to genetics. If its encoded in the genes then its something beyond my control.

Like most people said anxiety is an irrational illness, its very hard to rationalize it if it keeps making up false scenarios (hence why its a life long illness for lots of people)

But now a days everything kills you lol.

Regardless, social anxiety existed even back in 400 BC.

Literary descriptions of shyness can be traced back to the days of Hippocrates around 400 B.C. Hippocrates described someone who "through bashfulness, suspicion, and timorousness, will not be seen abroad; loves darkness as life and cannot endure the light or to sit in lightsome places; his hat still in his eyes, he will neither see, nor be seen by his good will. He dare not come in company for fear he should be misused, disgraced, overshoot himself in gesture or speeches, or be sick; he thinks every man observes him."

It could be a trait that was passed down through genes, but maybe the body adapts itself to high stress
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post

Regardless, social anxiety existed even back in 400 BC.

Literary descriptions of shyness can be traced back to the days of Hippocrates around 400 B.C. Hippocrates described someone who "through bashfulness, suspicion, and timorousness, will not be seen abroad; loves darkness as life and cannot endure the light or to sit in lightsome places; his hat still in his eyes, he will neither see, nor be seen by his good will. He dare not come in company for fear he should be misused, disgraced, overshoot himself in gesture or speeches, or be sick; he thinks every man observes him."

It could be a trait that was passed down through genes, but maybe the body adapts itself to high stress
Yep social anxiety has existed since the first humans I would imagine. Probaly out of the first 10 humans one of them had SA and was withdrawn from the group.

I wonder how people with SA were treated back in 400 BC? Not very well I would imagine.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 04:38 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Yep social anxiety has existed since the first humans I would imagine. Probaly out of the first 10 humans one of them had SA and was withdrawn from the group.

I wonder how people with SA were treated back in 400 BC? Not very well I would imagine.
Indeed, which is why I wonder if anxious people have some sort of mechanism in their bodies that is able to deal with these stress.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 04:57 AM
❤️ Administrator ❤️

I removed “Warning For Everyone” from the title because when this thread shows in the Recent Discussions sidebar, it looks like something bad has happened, which could worry some people.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post
Indeed, which is why I wonder if anxious people have some sort of mechanism in their bodies that is able to deal with these stress.
That would be nice to believe and I hope its true. However the studies that show people with anxiety have shorter life spans and more health problems would suggest this is not true unfortunately
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 11:47 PM
SAS Member

I wonder if piercing your ears would shorten the telomere...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page