Helpful video regarding social anxiety disorder...maybe? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Helpful video regarding social anxiety disorder...maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugJvg1JBklk

Its fairly long 22 minutes but i agreed with what was said about social anxiety disorder, gave a better understanding into it and how we work

It is a video so i wasn't sure if it should be posted on entertainment or not but it does deal with "coping" i suppose

and glancing over comments this might not be something for everyone, a few people in disagreement...so yeah...its something tho

listen in between your notes
theres something been going on
while you were busy taking notes
and look in between your moments
theres something good happening
its good to sometimes
slow it down

get your head out from those mags
and websites who try to
shape your style
take a risk just for yourself
and wade into the deep end of the ocean

- Panda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 09:26 PM
on hold

re: Helpful video regarding social anxiety disorder...maybe?

I think that guy has little to no clue.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Re: re: Helpful video regarding social anxiety disorder...ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disintegrate
which areas did not sit well with ya?

its good to sometimes
slow it down

and websites who try to
shape your style

- Panda

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 09:53 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I disagree. He's simplifying what we're going through, but I think he knows what he's talking about. As he said, part of SA is physical (derived from genetics) and part of it has to do with the feeling of danger from our past experiences. Pretty much everyone has some social anxiety, but most do not have it to the extent that we do.

What did you have a problem with?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I thought the advice on the physical was important...i always bring this up but i'll do it again...ok so i was a recluse for 8-9 years, stayed at home worked 1 job (Which family provided thankfully to keep me semi active), wasn't going to school, didn't go out much...

Last summer I started exercising again, i biked to work instead of getting rides to work and i noticed maybe 2 months later how great i started to feel...then i began to eat better and got lots of sleep...

...I think all of that lead to me going back to school and working in a more social job and slowly it increased and help...i'm still exercising...sleep isn't where it should be and eating better i'm trying.

I still have BIG issues around people...school, I was bullied in elementary school and for some reason in College i still have this nagging feeling of distrust among people there, just in the school setting itself...something about "School" in general just doesn't sit well with me but i'm still going to class everyday...What else, barriers around people I work with and who i talk with...when I was younger and all throughout my youth I always had my mom speak for me, she always did everything for me so I don't know if i can translate into why I always feel the need to have somebody along with me when I go out but I do notice when I have that "safety blanket" type person around how much more comfortable I feel and how i'm able to actually SPEAK my mind...when they disappear i worry again, can i do this on my own?

Going to the groceries alone or doing anything alone in public areas...scary as hell and I can't give any specifics why it just feels like I need someone around who I know who I can latch onto and...yeah I do feel it getting better the more I'm exposed to it but it does feel like i am reliving past experiences over.

The video did seem to be anti-medication...i don't know really what to think of that. I don't take any medications myself but they seem to help people so

its good to sometimes
slow it down

and websites who try to
shape your style

- Panda
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 PM
on hold

I had a problem with his unwillingness to say that SA is a mental illness.

And yes, he simplified it. Maybe everyone does have some social anxiety, but I don't see what that has to do with actually having the disorder.

I'm out!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 04:30 AM

A mental illness is just a physical illness of the brain.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 AM
SAS Member

Honestly, i found this really informative and helpfull. I do agree that SA would be best characterized as a maladaptive learned response then a mental illness, which in turn makes me feel alot less of a wierdo . And his advice about taking time to orient yourself into the present, i mean its true to say that were not in any real, immediate danger, just that we percieve we are because were not really "grounded" in the present.

learn, teach, respect and peace.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I had a problem with his unwillingness to say that SA is a mental illness.

And yes, he simplified it. Maybe everyone does have some social anxiety, but I don't see what that has to do with actually having the disorder.

I'm out!
Everyone has anxiety, What exist in this case is disabilitating anxiety, the anxiety is so strong and persistent that provokes problems in your life.
There is no such thing as having a mental disease.What i mean is that we didnt get SA like someone gets the flu, the problem is essencially in our genetics, and in a considerable amount of cases, the environmental conditions helped the development of SA.In my case my father is mentally "unbalanced"(borderline personality disorder), Obviously his son couldnt be a mentally balanced person, thank God i only have anxiety problems(OCD and SA) but im pretty sure that if i didnt got bullied in my 16 in a very dificult period of my life probably my anxiety problems were lower.
There are no victims here, the only way we can have a normal life with normal levels of anxiety is changing the way our brain functions and only work can do it,CBT or other method....the key word is WORK...meds is only temporary relief.We only can call ourselves victims is because of what our father/mother gave to us - genes.
The question that haunts me everyday is, does the spirit exists or we are only made of what our "ancestors gave to us"...because if the spirit doesnt exists i can give up now, because i know that what my fahter gave to me is "weak blood" and with that i cant even get the strength to fight the problems generated by weak blood.To explain easier:

Weak blood only produce a weak mind and as a consequence the weak mind cant produce strenght to fight is inhereted weaknesses.But if we introduce the "Spirit" variable we can have hope.
I have hope...thats why that when i see the movie Gattaka i always cry tears of joy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I am, etc.

I don't buy into the whole fear is stored and released he kept talking about -- flim flam in my opinion. That is like saying laughter is the release of happiness, and happiness is stored inside you.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Genome
I don't buy into the whole fear is stored and released he kept talking about -- flim flam in my opinion. That is like saying laughter is the release of happiness, and happiness is stored inside you.
i know for myself i tend to hold onto the traumatic experiences and remember the negative more than the positive...

when you laugh you release some form of tension and all these emotions are stored within us...i have no idea what i'm saying....woot

its good to sometimes
slow it down

and websites who try to
shape your style

- Panda
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 12:21 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I didn't watch the video (only got dial-up), but meh I couldn't resist a good arguement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amebix
And his advice about taking time to orient yourself into the present, i mean its true to say that were not in any real, immediate danger, just that we percieve we are because were not really "grounded" in the present.
Thats a very simplified view of it. Obviously your not in real danger. Your fear is caused by beliefs and thoughts that are probably untrue. The advice about orienting yourself in the present is a little helpful maybe in theory - but how? To do this you need to unlearn all those negative beleifs that you have (CBT) and you might not be able to unlearn them all (mindfulness and ACT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia3000
we didnt get SA like someone gets the flu
I'd still define SAD as a mental illness. That sword cuts both ways, you don't just 'get' the flu. How many viruses have to be in your body before you can call it the flu? Its diagnsed because of the symptoms. Same with SAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Genome
Yeah, that sounds like complete bull. And if its not, its just a stupid way of saying whatever it is that he meant by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia3000
Weak blood only produce a weak mind and as a consequence the weak mind cant produce strenght to fight is inhereted weaknesses.But if we introduce the "Spirit" variable we can have hope.
I have hope...thats why that when i see the movie Gattaka i always cry tears of joy Yes
Genes don't make you who you are, theres the whole nature vs nurture thing. I love that movie, havn't seen it in ages .

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Permanently Banned

thanks a lot for posting this...watching now
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 AM
SAS Member

I agree with much of what he has to say.

I am going to completely work on making myself happy.

“Fear can make you do more wrong than hate or jealousy. If you're afraid you don’t commit yourself to life completely; fear makes you always, always hold something back.”

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page