Have you used Paxil before?Mixed feelings about trying Paxil - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Have you used Paxil before?Mixed feelings about trying Paxil

The other day I went to the doctors for my yearly check up/physical, and my doctor asked me questions.. some was about anxiety and depression. For some reason without thinking, I "accidentally" lied about what she asked about depression. I say "accidentally" because my answers just randomly came out, I didn't mean to do it, it just happened. I answered truthfully about my anxiety, and she recommended that I try Paxil and start seeing a psych therapist. I was prescribed Paxil (paroxetine )10mg. Once I got home, I started to research Paxil, but every time I'd read about other people's experience with it, I would get overwhelmed with anxiety and just shut down and stop reading. I have mixed feeling about taking it. I am hopeful because it can probably help with my anxiety, but at the same time I am afraid because it can worsen my anxiety, I am also worried about the side effects. About 7 years ago when I was first diagnosed with (social) anxiety, I was prescribed Zoloft. I only took it for a little over 3 weeks. I stopped taking it because I would get these weird brain zaps/jerks and my body would involuntary jerk when I was sleep or start to fall asleep.

I was wondering if you've ever tried(or is currently on) Paxil?

And if so, what was it like for you and would you recommend it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:32 PM
SAS Member

I'm on Paxil. It works really well for me. Of course, it is an anti-depressant. I'm depressed. So, if you go to a psych they will probably give you something to go along with it for anxiety situations specifically. That's my personal experience, just try it. Maybe it will work, maybe not.

At first my life on Paxil was great. Then I felt like I kept wanting more of the social life and sort of got myself in a rut because I was at the end of the line. Now I'm back to my "regular" anti-social-self, but not sad anymore.

I think it is a sex-drive killer. I can't tell, I had none to begin with.

I wake up really early on Paxil, as soon as there's sunlight. I just go back to sleep, though. I also get these weird rushes of adrenaline randomly, but it feels kind of good. Also, when I wake up, my eyes look really big like they're sort of bulging. But it's nothing I get worried about, it goes away really quickly. When I'm on too large of a dose, I feel really sleepy during the day. Sometimes I still struggle with it, but not a whole lot. My side effects are something I just put up with for the greater good of, well, my life.

Just try it. If you don't like it, you can stop. Also, 10mg is going to do nothing for you anyway. You probably won't notice anything on that dose.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page