Have you seen a therapist? Some questions about the process - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Have you seen a therapist? Some questions about the process

I want to make an appointment to see a therapist. I'm wondering what I should do to prepare for my first visit.

If you've seen a therapist for SAD / AvPD / depression before, can you please answer some of the following questions? The more people who answer, the better. If you can only get to one or two of the questions or if you just describe your experience, that would be great too.

(1) What were the first questions your doc asked?

(2) What follow-up questions did he or she ask?

(3) What course of treatment, if any, did your doc recommend?

(4) Did you go into your appointment with a list of issues and a list of goals? Would that have been helpful?

(5) Is it helpful to use terms like SAD and AvPD to give the doc a sense of what you think docs call your condition? Or is that a waste of time?

(6) Did you come away with the impression that the issues you were facing did not require therapy or counseling?

(7) What tips do you have for someone considering seeing a therapist?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:37 AM
More or less over it

1) I think she asked me to tell her why I was there and then what my history with SA was.

2) She asked about any previous attempts to deal with SA, my family life, my relationships, what situations make me especially anxious

3) CBT / group therapy (I had specifically asked that meds be a last resort)

4) Yes, I made a list of things I wanted to talk about since I was afraid I'd be too anxious in the moment to remember them. It turned out to be very helpful, though I didn't need to look at the list since just writing it out helped me remember.

5) Eh, the diagnosis game is kind of secondary. It's better to talk about concrete experiences. So "I feel anxious when...," rather than "My SA/AvPD is really bad when..." But that reflects a few ideas from acceptance & commitment therapy that I've found really helpful.

6) No.

7) If s/he doesn't give you homework, ask for some. Ask for recommendations about things you can read to understand anxiety better. Take notes as you read it and maybe jot down some thoughts you had. Come prepared to talk about how you felt it was or was not applicable to you. Same for your homework assignments: take notes about how you're feeling and what you're thinking immediately after you complete them.

"When I accept myself just as I am, then I can change." - Carl Rogers
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for that very helpful response. How was your group therapy experience?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page