Have you ever personally known somebody who became a criminal? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Have you ever personally known somebody who became a criminal?

A brother of a friend, I used to know really well in elementary, killed someone in a drug-deal / heist gone wrong with a hammer. This guy was always so nice to me throughout my teens, so it was a shock seeing the report on my facebook page at the time. The scary part is that his lawyer managed to get him only 5 years in prison. This guy literally lives around the block from me, but hopefully he values his freedom when he gets out. Anyways i ran into him before his trial began 3 or 4 years ago on my way to the liquor store when i saw him on the sidewalk, and he was freaking jacked as all hell. He recognized me and chatted with me for a bit as he happened to be headed to the same place. I was scared honestly and commented on his new-found physique and he told me he was buffing up for prison and that if I ever needed “help with arranging someone” to ask him. God it’s scary to think about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Drunk
Not that I'm aware of. Most of the people in my social circle are very normal, well-adjusted people with fulltime jobs and healthy relationships in their lives. The only criminal record any of them ever had is maybe public inebriation, mischief, or petty theft.

Writing that felt weird. We are who we keep company, so maybe I'm more normal than I thought.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
Not that I'm aware of. Most of the people in my social circle are very normal, well-adjusted people with fulltime jobs and healthy relationships in their lives. The only criminal record any of them ever had is maybe public inebriation, mischief, or petty theft.

Writing that felt weird. We are who we keep company, so maybe I'm more normal than I thought.
“Normal” hah. I guess we can only try to be intuitive.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:49 AM
searching for spices

Language: 英語と日本語
I've known people who regularly shoplifted expensive items and people who sold drugs in the past. Don't think I know any murderers.

I suppose a lot of ex-military are murderers but military types creep me out so I've never befriended them.

Kitty Therapy

The Meaning of Life

The Grim Reaper

We're going riding on the freeway......
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
I've known people who regularly shoplifted expensive items and people who sold drugs in the past. Don't think I know any murderers.

I suppose a lot of ex-military are murderers but military types creep me out so I've never befriended them.
My mom worked for National Defense in Ottawa, for several decades, and saw Commander Russell Williams a handful of times up close. It's scary how many people respected a seemingly, ruthless killer. He went on to kill a handful of women. But you still can't base your intuition on someone because they've been in the military, or chosen a career path. Have you seen those youtube videos of those evil doctors slandering their patients while undergoing surgery?

I'm going into a job position that requires me to clean blood and guts off medical instruments. Does that make me likely to have some weird fetish ?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:04 PM
💀

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Uh well I know someone who went to prison yeah, not inclined to say what for. My dad, but since I promised not to tell people (but I honestly think it's unfair that I haven't been able to talk about it at all anywhere ever,) I won't say why, and just say it happened as a compromise.

Also some guy who bullied my brother in highschool (I mean, I don't think he really saw it that way because he didn't care when people picked on him but yeah,) eventually went to prison for murder (shot someone in a drug related incident.) he was kind of infamous in school even people in my year seemed to know who he was, but we never spoke. So I didn't personally know him, my brother did.

Quote:
Woah slow down. You're popping those orange smarties like you're House on vicodin.
My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
I don't think so. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people I grew up with did but if they did I didn't hear about it. I went to school with someone who committed suicide years later but I guess that isn't the same thing. I looked some of the people I grew up with up online and most of them are still alive and appear to be living "normal" lives. I wouldn't know more than that about them though as I pretty much have no interest in associating with them.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Barbells and kittens

According to Google one in three adults in the United States has a criminal record of some kind.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:20 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
My friend's friend's ex boyfriend was a robber and when she started to exchange messages with him he was in prison. I don't know why she did, she was making a series of some obviously pretty bad decisions in her life in general. I don't want to judge her though because I don't know the underlying reasons why. I wouldn't give her advices cause she was not even a friend of mine. She was so solid and genuinely tough and insensitive (in a neutral way, not in a bad way), cause nothing bothered her and she was able to tolerate things more than an average person would, ''strong''. I've almost never seen people that appeared to be genuinely this way other than her. As far as I remember, that guy was an orphant and he either lived in the public place where orphants live or at his grandmother's house. He was saying about himself that he was ''raised by the streets'' and that his guy mates were his family. It's very sad. When they broke up cause of him cheating, that girl was only slightly disappointed. But to me problems in their relationships were predictable before the actual relationship had started cause of the obvious background of the guy etc.

Sorry for my English.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Uh well I know someone who went to prison yeah, not inclined to say what for. My dad, but since I promised not to tell people (but I honestly think it's unfair that I haven't been able to talk about it at all anywhere ever,) I won't say why, and just say it happened as a compromise.

Also some guy who bullied my brother in highschool (I mean, I don't think he really saw it that way because he didn't care when people picked on him but yeah,) eventually went to prison for murder (shot someone in a drug related incident.) he was kind of infamous in school even people in my year seemed to know who he was, but we never spoke. So I didn't personally know him, my brother did.
Oh shi... sry I don’t know what to say. Your brother sounds like a cool guy. I am envious of his seemingly stoic nature. My high-school bully went on to become a pro boxer and he is currently undefeated. I've always wondered where he would end up if it wasn’t for boxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
According to Google one in three adults in the United States has a criminal record of some kind.
Posted via Mobile Device
That sounds unreasonably high.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 PM
Tired

Language: English
Yup, best friend I have known for 30 years turned out to be a paedophile.

Dimethylamidophenyldimethylpyrazolone
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:27 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
3 of my relatives on the father's line spent some time in detainment facilities, but only 1 of them was guilty - and even that guy was a decent fellow, he just liked drinking too much for his own good.

I ran a stopped school bus once due to a combination of factors that made it impossible for me to see the bus. Our state features the harshest treatment of stop arm violations in the US, and there are talks in the local senate on criminalising them - but luckily, these talks haven't gotten anywhere yet.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowweaver View Post
3 of my relatives on the father's line spent some time in detainment facilities, but only 1 of them was guilty - and even that guy was a decent fellow, he just liked drinking too much for his own good.

I ran a stopped school bus once due to a combination of factors that made it impossible for me to see the bus. Our state features the harshest treatment of stop arm violations in the US, and there are talks in the local senate on criminalising them - but luckily, these talks haven't gotten anywhere yet.
I consider myself very lucky with past scenarios involving being blackout drunk. Namely getting into random fights with abrasive people. I have in-turn lost the right to drink..

Ooh, ya that law does sound quite harsh for something you can’t avoid in certain scenarios. Driving mistakes are quite common. I remember in like grade 11 my friend ran a red light without even looking left or right. He was cursing himself for the remainder of the lunch period.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
One of my seventh grade teachers was later revealed to be a child molester. He was a very popular teacher. Everyone liked him. And yet he drugged and molested adolescent boys for decades.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
One of my seventh grade teachers was later revealed to be a child molester. He was a very popular teacher. Everyone liked him. And yet he drugged and molested adolescent boys for decades.
If i was a parent of an abused child, i could probably conjure about the will to murder someone like that. One of my teachers assaulted me, and a few others pretty much allowed all the bullying happening right in front of them without saying a word. Teachers need to undergo further evaluation, and learn more about mental health before being hired in my opinion.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Russian Modster

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
ugh that's so sick. A guy I went to high school with got in trouble for messing with kids too. Awful.

:: Anybody else want to run? Contorting, distorting, I am undone. One less propaganda nightmare fixture. Are you getting the picture? Separate. I've lost my only way. See the shape, Broken and thrown away. ::

Попроси у облаков
Подарить нам белых снов
Ночь плывет и мы за ней
В мир таинственных огней
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:37 PM
bipolar

I never knew them very well but I did mix with a few drug dealers when I was in rehab a couple of times. I remember thinking how weird it was that one of them was actually a really nice guy - but at the same time I didn't agree with what he did for a living.

My Dad was a very dishonest businessman but not really a full-on "criminal" - he was in real estate technically but almost got himself killed twice that I know about. One time a guy came after him with a knife but this guy that worked for my Dad stoppd him in time. Another time was worse and my Dad was genuinely worried about it - he sat me down in the kitchen and told me about him. He also said "so if anything happens to me you know what to do." I was about 17 and definitely didn't know what to do.

I have a criminal record for stealing - but I was manic for at least part of that time. I certainly wouldn't consider myself a criminal.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForestWasDark View Post
I consider myself very lucky with past scenarios involving being blackout drunk. Namely getting into random fights with abrasive people. I have in-turn lost the right to drink..

Ooh, ya that law does sound quite harsh for something you canít avoid in certain scenarios. Driving mistakes are quite common. I remember in like grade 11 my friend ran a red light without even looking left or right. He was cursing himself for the remainder of the lunch period.
Indeed. I do not mind traffic violations when they could have been easily avoided, but sometimes you just can't help it!

In my case, my view was obscured by a large SUV that just perfectly covered the school bus. I could have noticed the bus at the last moment, but at just that moment a woman appeared on the other side of the road, looking like she was going to get onto the driveway, and my attention was wholly on that side.

Ever since, I've been scanning for school buses intently all the time whenever I do a city driving during school times. I suppose it is a good learning experience, but this feeling of being punished for something that was not strictly my fault is very-very unpleasant. I've always been proud of being an exemplary driver, never even going over the speed limit, and then - boom...

But such is life. It sometimes brings nasty surprises to us. The best we can do is to take a deep breath and move on.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:42 AM
No hugging, no learning

Funny how this thread was made as I recently happened upon news articles and discovered my Psychologist was charged with massive fraud (in the millions), theft and Perjury. All up almost 150 charges.

Explains why they disappeared all of a sudden and the clinic was very vague about what happened to them. No information of conviction but I have found out they were de-registered as a psych.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:00 AM
your dads girlfriend

Language: everything
My Mood: Sad
Yes. A good childhood friend of my sister and I who we still contacted through Facebook. Everyone knew him and was friends with him because he was this funny awesome nice guy and always posted funny things, he seemed great and nobody expected it when he got arrested for murdering his mother just a few months ago. My SO worked with a few ppl who just robbed a family in their home at gun point, they are going to Leavenworth, I’ve probably met them before.

sparkle jump rope queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrowisalongtime View Post
Nobody in here has friends, come up with something more original.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page