Has anyone ever overcome social anxiety without therapy? - Social Anxiety Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 31

Has anyone ever overcome social anxiety without therapy?


Hi all

I've known for quite a while that I have social anxiety, but now more than ever it is very evident, i've started an internship. It's already clear that people see my weirdness, awkwardness, I am already excluded in small things. More and more people are commenting on how quiet I am and some people dread talking to me because it's a drag getting a decent conversation out of me. Yesterday at work I hardly said more than 10 words. My question is, has anyone ever overcome anxiety without therapy, if so please share how you overcame it, especially at work.
Lisa1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 05:37 PM
ghostly
 
mt moyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: k2 east face
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 3,577

Has anyone ever overcome social anxiety without therapy?


I can relate very much, but dont really have an answer as i still cant really talk to people


but i think its also worth asking yourself if you Want to socialise. maybe you dont really want to and thats why its harder, on top of other things


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

believe in urself
mt moyt is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt moyt View Post
I can relate very much, but dont really have an answer as i still cant really talk to people


but i think its also worth asking yourself if you Want to socialise. maybe you dont really want to and thats why its harder, on top of other things


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never say anything at all I can't carry on with a conversation. I am completely silent. I never know. I never know what to say I lack communication skills.
Lisa1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 06:34 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Drifting somewhere in the Oort Cloud
Posts: 10
My Mood: Fine

No-one needs to suffer with SA


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1 View Post
My question is, has anyone ever overcome anxiety without therapy, if so please share how you overcame it, especially at work.
SA is a misunderstanding about yourself and other people.
And once this misunderstanding is accepted, all else that follows is based on that same misunderstanding.
Just to be clear, the person with SA is not aware that they have a misunderstanding (otherwise, they wouldn't go on to develop SA).

I suffered, for a great many years, with life, people and all that comes with people. I had no idea of SA or why I was experiencing life as I was. I so hated life and everything in it. At my worst suffering (2012-2013) I wanted to die and be reborn as another person and start over.

In searching for a solution after drugs and therapy had failed (those two things can't actually address or end SA or any other form of suffering), I discovered what SA is and how a person can end it.

If you go to youtube and search for Noah Elkrief Social Anxiety, you will discover the cause of SA and the solution. He has two videos. You may need to watch them more than once. Its also a good idea to have a pen & paper handy to take notes. It doesn't matter whether your SA is present in the workplace, or with friends, or neighbors, strangers, etc.

What Noah shared opened the door to the ending of my SA. I have been free of SA ever since.

I'm happy to chat or share more with you, if you want.
Ferrox is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 07:07 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Drifting somewhere in the Oort Cloud
Posts: 10
My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt moyt View Post
but i think its also worth asking yourself if you Want to socialise. maybe you dont really want to and thats why its harder, on top of other things
This is an important aspect to consider. Very important if you ask me.
Once I ended my SA, I came to see that I don't actually get much out of being with people.
I came to see that I was trying to force myself into having social contact, because like almost everyone else, I had been been taught/conditioned that "all people are social", and that I needed to have people in my life, when this is not true for everyone, or true in the same way.

In forcing myself to be social, the SA would flare up (and also prior to all social situations) and the pain and discomfort (even trauma) that I would experience was made all the worse because I believed "I had to do it" and yet, I couldn't stand it, at all. I was in a vicious circle and I had no idea why all this was happening.

Yes, some people are social but some are not. There is no proper survey or research that has ever been carried out on this and none will ever be carried out either (because there is a huge vested interest in having everyone together/as a group, as much as possible).

Sociability seems to be on a continuum (like a lot of human things) and there seems to be a large amount of variability, nuances and also, "things are not how they seems to be".
Some people who appear to be social, may not be so all the time, or in the same way all the time, or with the same people, situations, etc. Because our perception is from observation, we do not actually know how other people feel about socializing or what they are really like when they are not with or near us. There is a lot we don't know, but we think we do.
Ferrox is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 08:02 PM
Cooked.
 
Karsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Yawk
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 8,964
I have made a lot of progress with my SA over the years without therapy, but I had a decent starting point TBH. I was lucky to have made some close friends throughout the years which exposed me to a lot of different social situations. Starting from square one would probably be much, much harder. I still have a lot of work to do, but I feel like it's in the refinement department. SA doesn't cripple me like it did a decade ago.

I DO think therapy would have expedited the progress, but it still takes a lot of self reflection and the right mindset to make any headway. It's not like there are a number of steps you repeat each day and suddenly you're better. It's a struggle.

It's also important to understand that maybe you just aren't a social person. I admit I'm kinda weird and introverted and I'm not going to be the most popular guy at the office - it's just not going to happen. And striving for something like that is just going to lead to a lot of exhaustion and disappointment.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
Karsten is online now  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
I have made a lot of progress with my SA over the years without therapy, but I had a decent starting point TBH. I was lucky to have made some close friends throughout the years which exposed me to a lot of different social situations. Starting from square one would probably be much, much harder. I still have a lot of work to do, but I feel like it's in the refinement department. SA doesn't cripple me like it did a decade ago.

I DO think therapy would have expedited the progress, but it still takes a lot of self reflection and the right mindset to make any headway. It's not like there are a number of steps you repeat each day and suddenly you're better. It's a struggle.

It's also important to understand that maybe you just aren't a social person. I admit I'm kinda weird and introverted and I'm not going to be the most popular guy at the office - it's just not going to happen. And striving for something like that is just going to lead to a lot of exhaustion and disappointment.
That's awesome. I think it's good to have a core support group so that if you do try to pursue new social opportunities and they don't work out, you always have that reassurance of having close friends who care about you.

Anyway, to answer OP's question - I know you said "without therapy", but I'm currently seeing a counsellor right now, and she's been nothing but great. It would be nice if you have some coverage under your work health plan (but I guess interns don't exactly get much coverage, if any). Also you can look into sliding scale models. But ultimately it is upto you. Good luck with your internship
brianlee99 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:03 PM
10k
SAS Member
 
10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Under my bed
Language: English, português, Français, Deutsch
Gender: Male
Posts: 103
My Mood: Bored
I found bigger problems to worry about.

"Without the knowledge to lead so you just follow the sheep"
10k is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome