Going back to work - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Going back to work

I had started my internship 2 weeks before lockdown. I haven't been to work since. I know the lockdown is not going to go on forever. The thought of going back to work literally terrifies me to my core. I remember last week there was a possibility of me going back to work, but because I am still in training and my trainer works from home, I didn't have to go back to work. I was having nightmares and my stomach was in a knot.
My question is what are tips you can give me to cope with this, maybe change my mindset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:22 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Yeah I will have to go back to, so weird since being off 2 months and with the virus still spreading. I always tell myself whats the worse that can happen? Just have to do it . Just have fun and breathe.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:39 AM
SAS Member

Honestly, you just have to go once it opens. Every time you put it off, you just build your anxiety up to the point where even thinking about it causes problems. It won't be as bad as you think, and once you go, I think you'll feel better x

<3

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Yeah I will have to go back to, so weird since being off 2 months and with the virus still spreading. I always tell myself whats the worse that can happen? Just have to do it <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>. Just have fun and breathe.
Yeah, what's the worst that could happen right? That's what I ask myself then I reply with negative thoughts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 07:27 AM
SAS Member

hey lisa....i dont know if this will work but its something i would do in my country..... I have social anxiety and depression....this entitles me to get social welfare off the government.....you should look in to this....what you need to do is get a psychiatrist and you could tell them the distress that social anxiety is causing you, you could also say you have depression, this would entitle you to welfare......id look into this.....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 09:41 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1 View Post
Yeah, what's the worst that could happen right? That's what I ask myself then I reply with negative thoughts.
I always tell myself I'm going to give this my best shot if I fail I fail at least I tried .

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 09:57 AM
SAS Member

also lisa, there are mental health courses which are run by the welfare/government.....these courses help mentally ill folk work on self development.....i know im in ireland and i imagine youre either american or canadian, but these courses that run in my country are based on the american model or british model.....

also there is a seperate course run by the state which deals with social anxiety.....the course itself is for SA sufferers to face up to and deal with their social anxiety.....its one day per wek apparently but the course tackles the problem of SA

PM me if you want any other support or advice or whatever.....remember your mental health is worth more than any crappy job and you can always go back to that at a later stage
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishkarl View Post
hey lisa....i dont know if this will work but its something i would do in my country..... I have social anxiety and depression....this entitles me to get social welfare off the government.....you should look in to this....what you need to do is get a psychiatrist and you could tell them the distress that social anxiety is causing you, you could also say you have depression, this would entitle you to welfare......id look into this.....
I doubt we have that in my country. But I will look into it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 01:10 PM
SAS Member

I just returned back to work after 7 weeks. I usually suffer terribly from apprehension anxiety, too.

I try to recall in detail the many times where things didn't turn out as stressful or terrible after all! Plus I try to think about how relieved I feel, once the dreaded first day is over and done with!

As long as we are somehow able to work, even just part-time/half-time or just a couple of hours, we should stick with it. It's important to stay at least a little bit independent, it's better for our self-esteem. Once you're out, it's more and more difficult to get back emotionally.

BTW most "normal" people dread getting back to work on Mondays or after annual leave! They just seem to have a different stress management.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHermit View Post
I just returned back to work after 7 weeks. I usually suffer terribly from apprehension anxiety, too.

I try to recall in detail the many times where things didn't turn out as stressful or terrible after all! Plus I try to think about how relieved I feel, once the dreaded first day is over and done with!

As long as we are somehow able to work, even just part-time/half-time or just a couple of hours, we should stick with it. It's important to stay at least a little bit independent, it's better for our self-esteem. Once you're out, it's more and more difficult to get back emotionally.

BTW most "normal" people dread getting back to work on Mondays or after annual leave! They just seem to have a different stress management.
I never thought of it that way, thank you.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:40 AM
MyViewsMatter

the knot in your stomach, try sitting down, close your eyes, and feel that knot in your stomach. Feel the sensation in your stomach and chest area, like tightness, dive into it and let it take over and breathe into it. Those anxiety feelings, let them come up and feel them fully. Your body might shake and you might start crying. This is the body clearing itself of all those negative emotions that are suppressed.

Yeah it's scary. But those sensations won't last forever. Do it everyday and they will eventually run their course and dissolve.

Remember, your views and what you have to say matter to others AND to yourself
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 05:02 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Even though I have to work anyway, but I wish there was lockdown all the time...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 08:38 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
For me, the best way of dealing with anxiety like this is just not to think about it. Just don't think about going back to work at all, put it out of your mind.

I've never been successful in trying to think my way out of anxiety. The more I think about an upcoming anxiety-causing event, the more anxious I get, even if I'm trying to come up with strategies for dealing with it or telling myself it won't be that bad.

Instead I picture how I would think about going back to work if I were a very relaxed, non-anxious person, and the answer is, it wouldn't really be on my mind at all. I would be doing and thinking about other things until the time came to go back, and then I would just go without thinking about it much at all.

I hope that makes sense. It can be difficult to put an upcoming anxiety-inducing event out of your mind, but I find it works better than anything else.

Of course, if taking medication is an option for you, you could go that route. Paxil has reduced my anxiety a lot, but it doesn't work for everybody.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page