Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Coping With Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/)
-   -   Getting high on cannabis to ease anxiety, is that looked down upon? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/getting-high-on-cannabis-to-ease-anxiety-is-that-looked-2223277/)

Thejoke 05-07-2019 11:54 PM

Getting high on cannabis to ease anxiety, is that looked down upon?

I've done it only a handful of times. If I had to guess maybe 9 times in my 30 years. The first "real" time I got high, I had an edible & it was the worst experience ever. I nearly passed out, I freaked out like crazy, & it just made me even more anxious. But I noticed that after it wore off, I was very serene, and nothing really bothered me. That feeling lasted for a few days. Cannabis has become legal in California, but I feel many people still see it as trashy, or what a low life would do. I have been considering medicating with it, but i'd like to know what are peoples thoughts on it? Is there anything wrong with using weed as a way to ease up & relax? Last time I did it was a few weeks ago and it felt so good, I was so positive & loving even for a few days after. I was surprised at how different I behaved, lots of hugging my family, joy, and so positivity. Is cannabis seen as trashy?

Blue Dino 05-08-2019 12:47 AM

I can't imagine one doing this too much, enough to function in every day life and social situations however. Same with alcohol. You're better off with SSRIs in this case.

boswell1967 05-09-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Dino (Post 1093710435)
I can't imagine one doing this too much, enough to function in every day life and social situations however. Same with alcohol. You're better off with SSRIs in this case.

Why is it hard to believe that someone can experience therapeutic relief from using marijuana? Sure she is talking about her experience of getting high but she notices something deeper than that, she is having an open mind to the fact that medical marijuana can manage and control anxiety as well as depression. I would no recommend SSRIs because of the drawbacks and side effects. Micro dosing cannabis oil is far more effective and less harmful. THC and CBD activate receptors in our brain allowing for cognitive healing. It stimulates our endocannabinoid system which regulates our neural activity. Cannabis oil covers a wide range of symptoms.

boswell1967 05-09-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thejoke (Post 1093710405)
I've done it only a handful of times. If I had to guess maybe 9 times in my 30 years. The first "real" time I got high, I had an edible & it was the worst experience ever. I nearly passed out, I freaked out like crazy, & it just made me even more anxious. But I noticed that after it wore off, I was very serene, and nothing really bothered me. That feeling lasted for a few days. Cannabis has become legal in California, but I feel many people still see it as trashy, or what a low life would do. I have been considering medicating with it, but i'd like to know what are peoples thoughts on it? Is there anything wrong with using weed as a way to ease up & relax? Last time I did it was a few weeks ago and it felt so good, I was so positive & loving even for a few days after. I was surprised at how different I behaved, lots of hugging my family, joy, and so positivity. Is cannabis seen as trashy?

On the contrary I think more people are becoming more open minded about the medical benefits that cannabis oil brings to people who are sick. The only problem that has started is companies are trying to capitalize on people who don't understand how cannabis works. People are using words like "all natural", "farm to table", "100% organic", these catch phrases are luring people into believing misleading information. Medical marijuana is great and covers a wide range of symptoms. Do a little research and see the benefits that both you and I experience. Look into dosing and see the difference between smoking, using tincture, and oils. Learn about the endocannabinoid system and how it regulates everything in our body. I use King Harvest Wellness, they are local and provide me with high quality medicine made the right and safe way. https://kingharvest.org/about/#a1

ShotInTheDark 05-09-2019 03:34 PM

Only if doctor approves it.

andy1984 05-09-2019 04:08 PM

I would frown upon it but I don't think I would look down on it, if that distinction is helpful to you

rabidfoxes 05-09-2019 04:27 PM

If it works for you, who cares what its current ~standing~ is. But, to answer your question, UK angle:

I lived in a metropolis, and everyone smoked. Nobody cared. You'd light up in a phone box and a policeman would knock politely to tell you to put it out. Even cops didn't care. You could smoke while walking down a street. People would turn up stoned to work.

Now I'm in a relatively small city, and people are a bit funny about weed. They're all cool with it when you actually broach the subject, but I don't see much smoking in public. It's more of a hush-hush backyard activity.

I tend to like a person better if they smoke, purely because I assume that they are likely to be more relaxed, open-minded and liberal about other things too. They feel safe to be around.

harrison 05-09-2019 04:42 PM

I would be concerned that it would worsen my mental health, so I'd probably not use it any more. I did obviously when I was young.

I was thinking about CBD oil a while ago but I don't think that's a good idea for me.

versikk 05-09-2019 09:27 PM

Why do you care what people think about what you ingest?

Most people consume Ethanol for duck's sake LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

whereistheoffswitch 05-10-2019 01:43 AM

/Mild Rant! :)

From personal experience it was cannabis (skunk included along with other experiences etc) that gave me anxiety, depression and eventually psychosis in the first place and it WAS the cannabis that rooted these issues.

I became hooked on it so much so that I couldnt/wouldnt go to sleep without finishing my joint, but I would always pre-roll another one and so I would smoke and smoke and smoke until I passed out. Long story short, it ruined my life.

For perspective I know plenty of people that smoke it and they are fine and they can function (work on it etc). I also know some people that use it medicinally (mainly for arthritis) and it eases their pain, and I know others that lost their minds on it like myself.

Relevent info: I know some people that lost their minds on cocaine & speed however I am fine on cocaine and speed so I guess Im just saying that there is a gamble (different poisons for different people, we are all chemically different and will react differently), maybe cannabis will be perfect for you and you will be fine with it, there is always a chance that it could be the end of you as well though so bare it in mind.

Google "cannabis and psychosis" & "cannabis and arthritis" for example.

Additional: I didn't get hooked on cannabis straight away, I/we (my friends and I) used it socially for about 2 years and it was a good laugh and controllable so I personally I didn't go bat **** mad after 1 spliff, it took a while.

Additional +1: I don't know how experienced you are with drugs but for every "upper" there IS a "downer" (I know it isnt exaclty an upper but im highlighting the "change" it gives us). Our bodies manage chemicals to keep us balanced so if you introduce an upper, once it's worn off your body will be suddenly cut short of THAT chemical and all of a sudden it's wondering where the "happyness" went and you will feel like **** until you get your next fix, this is a part of how addiction works. Tied into this is also the fact that you will naturally chase the initial high as that is what made you feel so great in the first place. Also knowing how this works can prepare you for knowing whats coming. If I'm on the coke I KNOW I will feel down the next day and so I do things to offset this such as vitamins, knowing when to stop (still so so at this....) but also knowing what your body/mind is experiencing and why helps A LOT.

Additional +2: I noticed you said you ate an edible, cooking with it makes it about 4x (ish) as strong as normal so no wonder you felt crap.

Over a long time cannabis can be a depressent but like I say it's different strokes for different folkes. From what you said in your post it doesn't sound like you're after getting on any hard drugs and it's not for fun it is for medicinal reasons, I'm just sharing what I and others have personally experienced to help arm you with a wee bit of knowledge!

:)

As far as how it's seen, all drugs are used by all types of society high and low so that's a gamble as well. It's a percentage game, some people will see you as a bum but some will not see it this way and it will be acceptable. Sods law states that it will always be the one you don't want though!! (typical!)

Hope this helps

WillYouStopDave 05-10-2019 03:23 AM

Smoking weed has some benefits but doing it specifically to defeat anxiety is probably not going to be very effective in the long term. Just about everyone who ever tried pot says their paranoia level was significantly boosted by it. I doubt that's awesome for anxiety.

I don't see it really being a problem as a once in a while thing, since it doesn't really seem to be addictive. I mean, to some degree, getting high makes you want to get high again and it pretty much ends up being an every day thing but it wasn't hard to quit. But I suppose if it was fully legal and I had the money for it I'd be tempted to do it all the time. Because why not?

versikk 05-10-2019 06:13 AM

Y'all don't get it.

Cannabis isn't "cannabis, period" . There are hundreds of strains.

There are strains with virtually no THC (the paranoia inducing chemical) which are used as anxiolytic.

You also don't have to consume huge amounts of it. You can microdose cannabis if you want. You don't HAVE to become stoned to the point where you can't feel your face every time you use it....

Any psychotropic will have pros and cons. The cons of SSRI for example is the sexual side effects, and that it makes you emotionally dead.
It's also chemically addicting and you have to gradually taper off of it if you want to quit.

Stop demonizing stuff you know shxt-all about.

TheForestWasDark 05-10-2019 07:09 AM

I’ll give you my personal, and researched answer.

Where I’m from its legalized, but not necessarily socially accepted as a medicine. Hopefully someday I can go to the local drug store and find a tincture..

I used to have to vape or take cbd oil , and not smoke, without feeling like filth around others. My land-lord would always undermine me for smoking in tha backyard, always going on about how i’m such a “buddha-head” and he was one of those types trying to get into law enforcement. .. Anyways there are some good strains geared for anxiety. The only ones that worked effectively for me, had a balanced cbd:thc ratio, or a 3:1 ratio if THC makes you feel anxious . But it’s key to have a compound as the “entourage effect" will make the substance more compatible.. I recommend either cbd oil 1:1 full spectrum (dose accordingly to your weight) if you’re looking for longer lasting effects, or a balanced, or 3:1 ratio CBD strain. It is key to start at a low dose as it could hamper your motivation or produce anxiety, especially through the daytime. It’s a great night-time supplement for those who struggle with insomnia, or other sleep-related disorders. It’s also great if you are struggling with a physical ailment or chronic condition, like Arthritis or other joint-related pain. Also great as a muscle/mind relaxer for those who go to the gym or exercise at night and feel more antsy afterwards.

On a side-note i believe the Jews are putting research into the right things
https://www.forbes.com/sites/juliewe.../#29a6e1976d7e

Suchness 05-10-2019 08:04 AM

The stronger the strain and the more you smoke the more chance you have of getting anxiety and psychosis.

TheForestWasDark 05-10-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suchness (Post 1093712989)
The stronger the strain and the more you smoke the more chance you have of getting anxiety and psychosis.

ya some of my heaviest mental breakdowns were rooted from a 30 % thc strain made in a government lab

WillYouStopDave 05-10-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by versikk (Post 1093712897)
Y'all don't get it.

Cannabis isn't "cannabis, period" . There are hundreds of strains.

There are strains with virtually no THC (the paranoia inducing chemical) which are used as anxiolytic.

You also don't have to consume huge amounts of it. You can microdose cannabis if you want. You don't HAVE to become stoned to the point where you can't feel your face every time you use it....

Any psychotropic will have pros and cons. The cons of SSRI for example is the sexual side effects, and that it makes you emotionally dead.
It's also chemically addicting and you have to gradually taper off of it if you want to quit.

Stop demonizing stuff you know shxt-all about.

Calm down man. I wasn't demonizing it. I just think it's probably not a good solution for people with anxiety. By all means. Carry on.

sabbath9 05-10-2019 08:20 AM

Drug war propaganda says cannabis is evil.

The truth is that it's been used as medicine for thousands of years.

Edibles can be dangerous because of the delayed reaction and not knowing the proper dosage.

Better to smoke a little and see how it affects you.

People like me who have smoked for 40 years barely get high anymore.

We use it medicinally as one of the best anti-anxiety / anti-depressant ever known.

Big pharma says their meds are safe, but read the side effects and you'll find that all Big Pharma meds are toxic.

Plus Big Pharma meds should only be used for a short time.

Better to learn Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) from cheap self-help workbooks. I've been using ACT since 2005 and it helps me a lot.

Accept your reactions and be present
Choose a valued direction
Take action

By the way, President Nixon started the War on Drugs to arrest minorities and hippies. And now the USA has more prisoners than any other country in the world. Read "The New Jim Crow" and you'll realize that slavery still exists in the USA.

Suchness 05-10-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheForestWasDark (Post 1093712995)
ya some of my heaviest mental breakdowns were rooted from a 30 % thc strain made in a government lab

I smoked everyday for 8 years then started to get panic attacks. Don't know how strong it was but we all smoked hydro. Some people get ****ed up after the first time and for others it can take much longer. Looking back I think it made me more introverted before the anxiety started, def not for everyone.

TheForestWasDark 05-10-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suchness (Post 1093713079)
I smoked everyday for 8 years then started to get panic attacks. Don't know how strong it was but we all smoked hydro. Some people get ****ed up after the first time and for others it can take much longer. Looking back I think it made me more introverted before the anxiety started, def not for everyone.

Yes same, most strains turned me into a complete ball of anxiety...
I haven't taken cbd oil for about a week now, but it certainly helped when transitioning off the grass. With hybrid strains, namely indica dominant which are the easiest to harvest, thus supply or find (it was also always the cheapest variety of strain) , it was very easy for me to get stuck in my own head. At times i feel like i went through days with no function of thought happening in my brain. A consistent white noise, auto-pilot state, until i came across people. Said white noise turned into a tunneled version of anxiety and unease, which was very hard to escape
However i do believe some strains (sativa dominant hybrids, Super Silver Haze being one that helped me the most at times) are helpful when moderated. Since i have an all or nothing addict mentality, i can't go down that route. Anti-anxiety sativas are very very rare anyway, without an accessible source such as a regulated dispensary, or online websites that accept online ordering. I do truly believe it can help people function throughout their day when taken in a small dose alongside their morning coffee. They don't have a come-down effect taken in small doses and don't contain the comedown/burnout effect that you would find with most weed on the street.

Getting back to cbd oil, i believe when taken accordingly (every person is different so it takes a subjective trial-phase) can benefit a person in their daily life if they have anxiety attacks, major pain or sleeping issues etc. I'm trying the natural road out again as I don't like feeling dependent on a substance. I'm already in my comfort zone when on the internet, so i would only use it in scenarios where i had to go to some grueling event or outing at this point.

Persephone The Dread 05-10-2019 01:47 PM

I've noticed a lot of people who have had negative experiences with cannabis seem to have consumed it in edible form, and often eaten more than they should have because it didn't seem to be working or something.

But yeah anyway if you find it helps you, then who cares if people look down on you? If they were struggling with the same problems they'd get it.