Gelatophobia (fear of being laughed at) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Gelatophobia (fear of being laughed at)

For the longest time I coudn't figure out what was wrong with me when I froze whenever someone laughed at anything about me. At my university, apparently, many people laugh at everyone, so I was laughed at a lot.

I was constantly laughed at for little things I did, things I said that weren't meant to be funny, etc. My roommate expecially likes to do the laughing, so I felt like I had no safe place to go to. I felt like I was never safe from anything or anyone.

My self-esteem immediately plummeted and I felt trapped for the rest of the semester, only able to regain my sanity after I came back to Shanghai (in China, people usually don't laugh at others). I only recently discovered that there is an actual term for this type of fear and that I'm not the only one. Do any of you share this fear? If so, how does it affect your life and how do you cope with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 AM
SAS Member

I don't like people laughing at me especially when I approach them. This is stems from my childhood when peers would do this. I don't mind people laughing if I am laughing with them. I also don't like when I am in a room and too people are whispering in each other ears. I know they probably aren't whispering about me, but it still makes me uncomfortable.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
Your university seems to have a lot of inconsiderate people.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Bipolar

Well if it is friends that are laughing, they are probably laughing "with" you, not at you. They don't mean to offend you.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Spread Your Wings

^LOL yeah...I was surprised by the word choice made by some english experts.

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone
But it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

Let me take you down
'Cause i'm going to strawberry fields...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 AM
SAS Member

I wouldn't say I have a phobia of this but when people laugh at me when I haven't deliberately made a joke I get very down.

My dad has always laughed at me when I do normal things. I remember being little and going to pay for something by myself at the till and my dad would just stand there and laugh. And only the other day, wishing my auntie 'happy new year' over the phone, he laughed at me. I don't get it. It makes me feel that I must look weird doing normal everyday things which makes me more self-conscious
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 AM
SAS Member

I dont mind if people i am friends or that i know are laughing at me.. but when strangers laugh at me, i want to cry.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

yeah. it never really occurs to me that others may be laughing at me because they're just enjoying the time or because they actually like my personality.

i mean, a lot of my classmates like to laugh at whatever i say. i feel so terrible. i think: is it because every single word that comes out of my mouth is ridiculous? I end up feeling like nothing i say can ever be taken seriously. you know? I feel so trapped.

I talked to my resident advisor about this and she just told me to ask people what they meant when they laughed. I asked about 8 people so far. all of them said they meant it in a good way.... that helps a bit. i guess common sense-wise, it's impossible to be saying ridiculous things constantly and still be human.

still, i feel bad whenever someone laughs at me. it's getting better, but somehow i can't shake my image of being a stupid fat girl from my head.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page