Finally moving out-brain overloaded - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Pensive

Finally moving out-brain overloaded

Without going into details, I'll just say I saved up enough money and will be buying a small home in town next Friday. I'm paying in cash, so at least I don't have to worry about a mortgage. Anyway, I know no one ever said this was going to be easy, but I'm about to have an assload of things piled on top of me to deal with in order to get settled in. . I'll need to go downtown to get registered to get billed for the utilities. I'll need to get the gas oven installed, as well as the internet. Also, home owner's insurance. I'll have to go to the post office to get my mailbox key, rent a uhaul to get all of my stuff over. I'm sure I missed a few things. I've never had to deal with so much crap at once. I have to go to the bank to get a cashier's check in order to pay for the house to begin with. This is going to involve lots of phone calls and talking to people in person. I don't even have a cell phone.
I know I can do it. I'm very nervous, but I won't let that stop me anymore. I should be thrilled, I'm finally moving out of my Mom's house. I've never lived alone before, so it's going to freak me out for a while. I don't know if my brain can take all of this. I'm plagued by worries. I'm ashamed that my Mom is going to help me with so many things, but I can't do these things alone.
Does anyone out there who lives independently have any advice for someone who is finally starting to get out on their own? Did you feel as freaked out and nervous as I do now? I want to know that the way I feel is normal, and that I'm not some stupid manchild who is getting in way over his head. Right now I'm trying to compose a list of priorities to be taken care of.

"If you never try, they can't call you a failure"-Me, 2015
"Life is like a massage parlor, not everyone gets a happy ending."-Me, 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 03:54 PM
fated to pretend

man I know how you feel. I moved out a year ago and felt kinda overwhelmd. I mean it is a big deal right? I was very nervous about leaving my house. My whole life was about to change to something entirely new and had to lay my own floor and do the furnishing and al that crap. never did so much manual labor in my life before. Luckily my parents both helped me and I moved into a brand new building so much of the basic work was already done, that helped.
Making your own big decisions for the first time was a little scary. Getting lowns, signing contracts and that stuff, but guess what? It was worth it in the end. I love having my own place and I live 30/40 minutes away from my parents so I still go back often.
It was hard but in the end everything went fine. As long as you've got your things in order, everything will be fine for you too I'm sure. good luck anyway

"super inspirational quote"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 06:42 PM
SAS Member

You should really be patting yourself on the back for getting your own place and taking this big step for yourself. Whether it was longer coming or not, it's still a triumph. And what does it really matter if you ask for help? I'm pretty sure no one goes moving into their first place. With me, I looked to family for advice, I asked oodles of questions, and I remember freaking out over pretty much everything when I bought my first home. My mom and sister were rockstars who talked me through some of the issues I was having. Because god, everything was scary.

You're feeling what every person who goes through the process for the first time feels, but as long as you take it a step at a time you can work through it. What worked best for me was laying out a schedule of what had to be done so it didn't feel that it had to be done all at once. Remember too that you don't be afraid to ask questions or for support if you need it. No one just knows how to do everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:30 PM
SAS Member

That's awesome news man! You got to be happy and just do it! Don't worry, I am still living with my dad and he is at the end of his rope with me. The only thing that's getting in my way is calling up the job I want for an interview - other than that I could be out there living my life saving up money from the job for a car and an apartment, and then I could be so free to **** whoever I want from okcupid. Man, I should really just do it. Just do it, omg!!! "It's my dream afraid of waking that's why I never take the chance." But it's ****ing killing me inside! Like if I really do it, it would be too much to believe and then my dad will have a heart attack of happiness! Like where did that come out of? Nowhere! She just did it?! Wow, what motivated her? What happened to her?! She's so lazy, there's no way that that's my daughter, wtf!!! That's what's stopping me I guess.

Yeah man, you just do it, that's ****ing awesome man!!! Don't worry everyone has this going on in their lives, some of them are not that cautious like we are and that's why they just do it "without thinking".

Patricia: What...? What's your rating? 'Cause you really don't have a very good feel for people, honey.
Annie: You're using a service that gives you pretend friends.
- Maniac
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:29 PM
Permanently Banned

Congrats on the home. That's impressive for only 23 and shows that you have responsibility. What do you do for a living? Yeah it is work, I've never bought a house and never will so I can't see the stress on your level. But we moved into about 3 owned houses as a kid and there was a lot of paperwork my mother had to do, and the moving was a challenge, but once we got situated the hard part did finally end.

Yes try to enjoy it as much as you can. It's a big step in life and one day you'll look back and be glad you went through the trouble. And don't worry about your mom helping out, it's not like anyone else will care and that's good that the two of you are close enough to help each other.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 04:54 AM
SAS Member

Well i can say that this its a progress from you ,its to nowmal to feel this as you are anxious but buying you a home and staing alone make me proud of you .dont wory about calls at internet gas ,bank etc it will be a litle overhelmed to you but you will succed .See the pozitive things of life bro you buy a house and you will stay alone and you can sleep with chiks with no problem now .Good luck to you
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:56 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Wow a home? You must live somewhere cheap, in my state homes have gone up so much you couldn't even afford to live in an apartment by yourself, unless you want to live somewhere really crappy/unsafe. All you gotta do is get through it and before you know it, it will be a thing of the past.

WTB> Confidence
WTB> Good self esteem
WTB> Friends
WTB> Outgoingness
WTB> Better life

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page