Fear of physical confrontation - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Fear of physical confrontation

I am a meek man. I'm afraid of physical confrontation. It's not likely I'll get into a situation where someone might try to fight or harassed me but there's always a possibility. Being near some unruly teenagers makes me nervous. I don't like being this way. The only way I can think that I could overcome my fear is to learn some martial art and do some sparring but I don't want to do that.

I have tried several styles of martial arts in the past but didn't stick with it. I didn't enjoy the classes. I now realize it would probably take many hours of practice over a year or more to become competent at it. Now that I am middle aged and I don't want to spend a lot of my precious time every week doing something I don't enjoy. Does anyone know of another way to lose your timidity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:37 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Why wouldn't you be afraid of physical confrontation?

/WYSD
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I may not be able to eliminate my fear but it depends on the situation and how I react. If someone cuts ahead of me in line or trips me, do I do something or let them push me around? Do I cross the street just because some loud kids are in my path and I'm afraid they might harass me or hit me? I don't want to be a doormat. I don't want to feel a lot of fear and avoid people even when there is only a remote possibility of a small confrontation. I'm not talking about fighting some big strong guy trying to hurt me.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofun View Post
I may not be able to eliminate my fear but it depends on the situation and how I react. If someone cuts ahead of me in line or trips me, do I do something or let them push me around? Do I cross the street just because some loud kids are in my path and I'm afraid they might harass me or hit me? I don't want to be a doormat. I don't want to feel a lot of fear and avoid people even when there is only a remote possibility of a small confrontation. I'm not talking about fighting some big strong guy trying to hurt me.
Hey, fellow scaredy-cat!

I know you'd like to lose your timidity, but here's my alternate perspective. Life is too short to get your butt kicked trying to live up to some ideal state of toughness. My policy is: avoid, avoid, avoid!

I'm transgender and fairly obviously queer (ie. a walking target). I also have vertigo (which means I fall over if you tip me too far to the side) and I'm built like a stick insect, so martial arts are out. And I have violence-related OCD and am easily triggered by people who are confrontational. So, I cross the street all the time to avoid people that might give me trouble and ignore taunts and insults sent in my direction. (Not too many people cut in line in front of me, but I live in Canada, so maybe we're just more polite here.)

I'm not a doormat, by any means, and will stand up for myself in ordinary situations (like dealing with businesses, family, or friends) but I don't go out of my way looking for trouble. I was bullied pretty badly in hs, and I stood up for myself then, and things just got worse and worse for me. I didn't learn my lesson until after I got my *** kicked a couple of times and then finally got a credible death threat. That's when I decided my "honor" wasn't worth my life. (Don't believe the after school specials about standing up for yourself. You're just in for a world of pain, ime.)

No one is perfect. No one has to be good at everything. I have embraced my cowardice because there's nothing I can do about it. Any sensible person is afraid when confronted by a stronger person who wants to do them harm. Maybe martial arts and assertiveness training are the right thing for you, but they wouldn't do me a damn bit of good. And that's okay. I just live my life in fear knowing that, while other people might be stronger and braver than I am, they have their own problems to deal with. Things they're embarrassed about and ashamed of. I might be as dangerous as a bunny rabbit, but there are no shortage of them in the wild. This one was on my driveway the other day. And look how cute he is!

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for your thoughts, Truant. At least you tried to stand up to bullies. I haven't really stood up for myself in a somewhat tough situation. I've never really been in a fight. I was hit, not hard, a couple of times years ago and did nothing about it.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
I am a meek man. I'm afraid of physical confrontation. It's not likely I'll get into a situation where someone might try to fight or harassed me but there's always a possibility. Being near some unruly teenagers makes me nervous. I don't like being this way. The only way I can think that I could overcome my fear is to learn some martial art and do some sparring but I don't want to do that.

I have tried several styles of martial arts in the past but didn't stick with it. I didn't enjoy the classes. I now realize it would probably take many hours of practice over a year or more to become competent at it. Now that I am middle aged and I don't want to spend a lot of my precious time every week doing something I don't enjoy. Does anyone know of another way to lose your timidity?
I kinda feel like this is creating a problem where there isn't one.

This, clearly isn't actually about not being able to defend yourself. I am over 6 feet, well over 200lbs lol, pretty strong as far as people go, and I wouldn't likely be able to defend myself. I am not going to spend 10 years training in a martial art in order to be able to, with 90% certainty defeat one person, when:

a) Two people might attack me, or one person with a weapon, and I am ****ed anyway
b) The probability of me being attacked is amazingly low
c) The ability to defend yourself is infinitely less useful than looking like you have the ability to defend yourself. Martial arts wouldn't help that, unless you wander around dressed like a ninja.

It's just not worth the time.

So in your case this isn't about not being able to defend yourself, since that capacity isn't needed in most places in the modern world. Your problem is in thinking you need this. I doubt that any actions such as doing martial arts is going to do anything to relieve this problem, tbh. What would make you feel you didn't need to defend yourself? That might be a better question for you to think about.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:37 AM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts, Truant. At least you tried to stand up to bullies. I haven't really stood up for myself in a somewhat tough situation. I've never really been in a fight. I was hit, not hard, a couple of times years ago and did nothing about it.
If you'd hit them back, they would have hit you back. Because they would have had to defend their honor. That's how it goes. I think it's futile to fight with people unless you're fairly confident you're going to win. That's what we have laws for. If someone hits you, charge them with assault. They'll call you a coward. So what? Why did they hit you in the first place? Answer: because they're an *******. So you're a coward and they're an ******* and nobody is perfect.

I've had to deal with a lot of unpleasant people over the years -- a neighbor who robbed me, another who threatened me with a chainsaw, a landlord who ripped me off, a landlord who (I **** you not) threatened my gf with an ax, and more besides ... where does it all end? I moved away from those neighbors and landlords because there's no way to win a war with an idiot who's willing to start a fight for no good reason. Let the cops handle people like that. That's their job. Not fighting is what grownups do.

Now, on the other hand, there's also nothing wrong with working out and taking self-defense classes. It will give you a boost of confidence and make you feel safer and better about yourself. If it appeals to you, then go nuts. I just don't think everyone has to be that way. Just like not everyone has to be smart or funny or rich. If you let people walk all over you in your personal life (like your boss, relatives, friends, etc.), however, then I recommend you take assertiveness training to deal with that. But that's a different kind of problem.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
I kinda feel like this is creating a problem where there isn't one.

a) Two people might attack me, or one person with a weapon, and I am ****ed anyway
b) The probability of me being attacked is amazingly low
c) The ability to defend yourself is infinitely less useful than looking like you have the ability to defend yourself. Martial arts wouldn't help that, unless you wander around dressed like a ninja.

It's just not worth the time.

So in your case this isn't about not being able to defend yourself, since that capacity isn't needed in most places in the modern world. Your problem is in thinking you need this. I doubt that any actions such as doing martial arts is going to do anything to relieve this problem, tbh. What would make you feel you didn't need to defend yourself? That might be a better question for you to think about.

Thanks for your opinion. You may be right. It may not be worth the time. I guess hearing that makes me feel slightly better but I have trouble totally accepting that point of view. If I was younger I think I might give martial arts another try.

I don't want to feel so much fear when I see rowdy kids on the street or hear about someone being punched in the news.

I'm not talking about situation where there's a risk of serious harm. My thought was that if I practiced self-defense I might be a little more confident in a situation and be able to react on instinct.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Tired

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion. You may be right. It may not be worth the time. I guess hearing that makes me feel slightly better but I have trouble totally accepting that point of view. If I was younger I think I might give martial arts another try.

I don't want to feel so much fear when I see rowdy kids on the street or hear about someone being punched in the news.

I'm not talking about situation where there's a risk of serious harm. My thought was that if I practiced self-defense I might be a little more confident in a situation and be able to react on instinct.
Well here's the thing as I see it. No matter how good you are at martial arts, a group of people are going to **** you over, if they really want to. That obviously isn't what you want to hear as it might make you more scared, but it is the truth. But on the flip side of that truthiness coin, you aren't going to get attacked.. so there is that.

Furthermore, if you are ever in a situation where there is conflict, do everything you can to avoid the conflict. That is the right course of action. It doesn't matter if you are "being cowardly". **** getting hurt, tbh.

And finally, like I say, if you actually want to feel more confident physically, don't take up martial arts, take up strength training. Put on some muscle. That will have multiple functions of making you feel a lot more capable, will improve your health, drastically improve your appearance, and make it way less likely anyone will attack you. People also won't do **** like take advantage of you if you are more physically intimidating. It also takes 1 hour, 3x per week for about 6 months to probably quadrouple your strength and gain about 10lbs of muscle if you do it right (hint, starting strength program). But if you hate martial arts, or going to the gym, then you need to accept you will have to work on the fear itself (as in, it's the fear that is the problem, not the thing you fear).

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Tired

And re gym, or martial arts or anything like that, the reason you can't stick at those things is because you aren't doing them for the right reasons, you will never be accomplished enough to deal with a threat that literally never manifests. There is no way to measure your progress at heading off attackers, because, you aren't ever attacked. If you do martial arts for a month, how will it affect your fear? It won't, because you haven't been tested, so even if it somehow did improve your ability to defend yourself, you won't know it, and anxiety isn't a conscious process.

I retract my previous post, going to the gym is the last thing you should do, because its likely to reinforce the fear. You are just telling your unconscious "I need to do this to remove my anxiety about being attacked". Since your current anxiety isn't based on actually being attacked, and you can't measure success (you aren't attacked), of course it won't remove the anxiety.

Or to visualise:

Today:
Number of times attacked = 0
Probability of being attacked = 0.000000000001%
Number of attacks fought off = 0
Anxiety about being attacked 90%

6 months after martial arts training
Number of times attacked = 0
Probability of being attacked = 0.000000000001%
Number of attacks fought off = 0

what will anxiety about being attacked be? My bet 90%. Your anxiety currently is based on a mirage, and that mirage isn't going to change, it will likely be reinforced by taking it at face value.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:25 PM
Duke Duck

My Mood: Goofy
Quote:

Sometimes people don't know how much they can enjoy something unless they go through with it and stick with it.

I suggest you try the martial arts again but this time be enthusiastic about it and follow up with it. Get a good trainer, and keep practicing. It will help psychologically because you are sparring with a real person and when you do that, you are facing your fear of other people.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:32 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Quote:

If you appear confident that you can protect yourself, bullies aren't likely to pick on you. But if you come across as insecure and afraid, that's when you become a bully target.

If I were a younger man, I'd hire somebody to teach me how to fight. I'd be training and sparring several times a week until I had confidence that I could defend myself and so I wouldn't be afraid to punch somebody in the mouth if they messed with me. I think it would have helped.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
Sometimes people don't know how much they can enjoy something unless they go through with it and stick with it.

I suggest you try the martial arts again but this time be enthusiastic about it and follow up with it. Get a good trainer, and keep practicing. It will help psychologically because you are sparring with a real person and when you do that, you are facing your fear of other people.

Since I'm middle-aged I don't think I want to spend a lot of my precious time on martial arts. It is not easy for me find things that I enjoy. I have been learning to play guitar which is one of the few things that I really like doing. Practicing takes up a fair bit of my time. I think it might be hard to make additional time for martial arts. Martial arts could eat up a lot of the "little' time I have left. I don't know if I want to gamble my time on the chance that it might help me.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Well here's the thing as I see it. No matter how good you are at martial arts, a group of people are going to **** you over, if they really want to. That obviously isn't what you want to hear as it might make you more scared, but it is the truth. But on the flip side of that truthiness coin, you aren't going to get attacked.. so there is that.

And finally, like I say, if you actually want to feel more confident physically, don't take up martial arts, take up strength training. Put on some muscle. That will have multiple functions of making you feel a lot more capable, will improve your health, drastically improve your appearance, and make it way less likely anyone will attack you. People also won't do **** like take advantage of you if you are more physically intimidating. It also takes 1 hour, 3x per week for about 6 months to probably quadrouple your strength and gain about 10lbs of muscle if you do it right (hint, starting strength program). But if you hate martial arts, or going to the gym, then you need to accept you will have to work on the fear itself (as in, it's the fear that is the problem, not the thing you fear).

I think building up my body might be helpful. I don't know if this is an excuse but it's not so easy for me to do. I have developed a sensitive stomach so it's hard for me to eat a lot and gain weight. I also have a bit of curve in my back that has started to bother me in recent years. It makes it hard or impossible to do certain exercises like push ups and bench presses. When I was younger and healthier I didn't exercise regularly enough build myself up.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:45 PM
SAS Member

Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
My Mood: Cheeky
I feel stressed always when I see other people. I like it most when I am only one who is walking. When I open the door I am always ready to kick someone. I am afraid that once there is totally innocent granny or a child and I kick them.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
If you appear confident that you can protect yourself, bullies aren't likely to pick on you. But if you come across as insecure and afraid, that's when you become a bully target.

If I were a younger man, I'd hire somebody to teach me how to fight. I'd be training and sparring several times a week until I had confidence that I could defend myself and so I wouldn't be afraid to punch somebody in the mouth if they messed with me. I think it would have helped.

I feel the same way.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:09 PM
Tired

Quote:
I think building up my body might be helpful. I don't know if this is an excuse but it's not so easy for me to do. I have developed a sensitive stomach so it's hard for me to eat a lot and gain weight. I also have a bit of curve in my back that has started to bother me in recent years. It makes it hard or impossible to do certain exercises like push ups and bench presses. When I was younger and healthier I didn't exercise regularly enough build myself up.
It's worth doing, in itself, I just don't think you should necessarily do it for this reason, on its own.

But I am a massive fan of men lifting weights and getting stronger, a massive fan of women doing it too (I think everyone should do it, because its pretty much all benefits).

You can work around these health issues. And honestly, things like spine issues can actually get solved with progressive weight training (my neck problem seems to have been resolved from this.. I literally messed around for 2 years doing isolation exercises, 2 months ago I started bench pressing, with the bar only - 20kg, now up to 72.5 neck problem resolved.). I would advise you to find several good reasons to do it though, but ideally you, like me, start training and find the training itself self reinforcing.

In fairness, and this is true, the more masculine you look, as a man, the more powerful you look, the more respect you get. Broad shoulders, narrow waist, facial hair, masculinity, people become much more respectful (especially younger guys).

This being said, I don't think weight training would necessarily cure this problem, but it might have some knock on effects. Personally, I feel so much better in myself when I feel strong. You just feel healthy, strong, physically capable. You look more attractive, and am pretty sure it results in a more favourable hormonal profile too. Your joints strengthen, you get increased bone density, honestly, strength training is the ****. Srs. Do it. But do it for reasons other than this specific fear, because, as you aren't getting attacked, as previously mentioned, it probably wont help you and you will stop and lose the mass of other benefits.

Re sensitive stomach, its no problem, and this isn't about excuses, not going to tell you you need to do it, if you don't want to, don't, if you do you can find a way. This is the shortcut way to add 15-20lbs of muscle in the first year.

1. Buy the starting strength book. Read it all.
2. Follow the program exactly.
3. Make sure you get enough protein and eat enough food.
4. Log your workouts and weights and reps (I use the strong app on android). You have to log sessions.
5. Commit to this for 2 months.

If you do this, and you love it (you might), all good. If you don't, meh, all good, nothing lost really . The program has you starting on very low weights, maybe just the bar, this is necessary for it to work, so don't jump ahead. Your body will gradually adjust to the load, you will perfect the form and its highly probable your back issues will clear up, and your appetite will naturally increase.

I am convinced that progressive resistance training is the closest thing to a health magic wand there is. Do it regardless of fear.

Almost everyone reading this should also do it. Lol.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
It's worth doing, in itself, I just don't think you should necessarily do it for this reason, on its own.

But I am a massive fan of men lifting weights and getting stronger, a massive fan of women doing it too (I think everyone should do it, because its pretty much all benefits).

You can work around these health issues. And honestly, things like spine issues can actually get solved with progressive weight training (my neck problem seems to have been resolved from this.. I literally messed around for 2 years doing isolation exercises, 2 months ago I started bench pressing, with the bar only - 20kg, now up to 72.5 neck problem resolved.). I would advise you to find several good reasons to do it though, but ideally you, like me, start training and find the training itself self reinforcing.

In fairness, and this is true, the more masculine you look, as a man, the more powerful you look, the more respect you get. Broad shoulders, narrow waist, facial hair, masculinity, people become much more respectful (especially younger guys).

This being said, I don't think weight training would necessarily cure this problem, but it might have some knock on effects. Personally, I feel so much better in myself when I feel strong. You just feel healthy, strong, physically capable. You look more attractive, and am pretty sure it results in a more favourable hormonal profile too. Your joints strengthen, you get increased bone density, honestly, strength training is the ****. Srs. Do it. But do it for reasons other than this specific fear, because, as you aren't getting attacked, as previously mentioned, it probably wont help you and you will stop and lose the mass of other benefits.

Re sensitive stomach, its no problem, and this isn't about excuses, not going to tell you you need to do it, if you don't want to, don't, if you do you can find a way. This is the shortcut way to add 15-20lbs of muscle in the first year.

4. Log your workouts and weights and reps (I use the strong app on android). You have to log sessions.

If you do this, and you love it (you might), all good. If you don't, meh, all good, nothing lost really . The program has you starting on very low weights, maybe just the bar, this is necessary for it to work, so don't jump ahead. Your body will gradually adjust to the load, you will perfect the form and its highly probable your back issues will clear up, and your appetite will naturally increase.

I am convinced that progressive resistance training is the closest thing to a health magic wand there is. Do it regardless of fear.

Thanks!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:33 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:

If you do this, and you love it (you might), all good. If you don't, meh, all good, nothing lost really <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>. The program has you starting on very low weights, maybe just the bar, this is necessary for it to work, so don't jump ahead. Your body will gradually adjust to the load, you will perfect the form and its highly probable your back issues will clear up, and your appetite will naturally increase.

What if you don't look or feel very masculine?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:45 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Hey, fellow scaredy-cat!

I know you'd like to lose your timidity, but here's my alternate perspective. Life is too short to get your butt kicked trying to live up to some ideal state of toughness. My policy is: avoid, avoid, avoid!

I'm transgender and fairly obviously queer (ie. a walking target). I also have vertigo (which means I fall over if you tip me too far to the side) and I'm built like a stick insect, so martial arts are out. And I have violence-related OCD and am easily triggered by people who are confrontational. So, I cross the street all the time to avoid people that might give me trouble and ignore taunts and insults sent in my direction. (Not too many people cut in line in front of me, but I live in Canada, so maybe we're just more polite here.)

I'm not a doormat, by any means, and will stand up for myself in ordinary situations (like dealing with businesses, family, or friends) but I don't go out of my way looking for trouble. I was bullied pretty badly in hs, and I stood up for myself then, and things just got worse and worse for me. I didn't learn my lesson until after I got my *** kicked a couple of times and then finally got a credible death threat. That's when I decided my "honor" wasn't worth my life. (Don't believe the after school specials about standing up for yourself. You're just in for a world of pain, ime.)

No one is perfect. No one has to be good at everything. I have embraced my cowardice because there's nothing I can do about it. Any sensible person is afraid when confronted by a stronger person who wants to do them harm. Maybe martial arts and assertiveness training are the right thing for you, but they wouldn't do me a damn bit of good. And that's okay. I just live my life in fear knowing that, while other people might be stronger and braver than I am, they have their own problems to deal with. Things they're embarrassed about and ashamed of. I might be as dangerous as a bunny rabbit, but there are no shortage of them in the wild. This one was on my driveway the other day. And look how cute he is!

Excellent. And the pic of rabbit at the end also.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page