Fear/Anxiety before entering the room - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Question

Fear/Anxiety before entering the room

Hi guys, do you also get nervous when entering the room (even with one person in it)? I am afraid people will look at me and judge me. On the contrary, I am not anxious when people are entering my office and want to talk to me. In general, I am anxious at the beginnig of every conversation except chatting with close friends. The weird thing is that I enjoy company and like to talk to people. Please, can you help? This issue this is seriously interfering with my working life. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 03:10 AM
SAS Member

i get nervous when i have to enetter a room where i will have to talk to somebody apart from immediate family, actually when i say that i feel im incorrect as i would also get nervous around my sister, but i do get nervous if i have to telk to somebody apart from my parents
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 09:18 PM
SAS member

Language: English, and hopefully fluent Japanese one day...
My Mood: Cool
Once in University the semester just started and I was trying to find my class. Ended up going to a former classroom out of habit and realized my mistake only after sitting down . I got up and left pretending to myself and the full room like it was no big deal , entered the hallway and quick stepped my way to the right room.

Hey, at least I made it in time! There are thousands of memes for embarrassing moments. I'll just slap a meme sticker over that one

Know and believe in yourself, and what others think won't disturb you (William Feather)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 03:54 AM
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricia View Post
Hi guys, do you also get nervous when entering the room (even with one person in it)? I am afraid people will look at me and judge me. On the contrary, I am not anxious when people are entering my office and want to talk to me. In general, I am anxious at the beginnig of every conversation except chatting with close friends. The weird thing is that I enjoy company and like to talk to people. Please, can you help? This issue this is seriously interfering with my working life. Many thanks.
I guess its because you feel like the roles have changed in those two situations? When someone is walking into your office, you are watching them so the focus is on them. When you enter someone's office, the focus is on you.

Maybe some power play is also happening. When you enter someone else's office, you feel like you're more vulnerable because you're asking something from them. Whereas its the other way around when they're walking into your office.

Here's a technique: Try to depersonalize the motive of your actions. If you're going into someone's office for a work related issue, don't think of it as you asking something from them. Think of it as just '' doing this for the company '', so there's really no choice but to do it. Make it mechanical.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 03:35 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricia View Post
At least you have a working life....my social anxiety is so crippling that I am too disabled to work. But to be honest I am trying to get a job through the Ticket To Work Program from Social Security.

I get nervous as hell when I go into a room full of faces I don’t know well. I think most of us here do. I have the tendency to look at the floor to avoid eye contact immediately which probably doesn’t make you look very good for work. You ever tried looking at people’s eyebrows or foreheads instead? I find that it is much easier to make eye contact when your listening than talking for some reason. But yeah eye contact is a real pain for me.

Why does your sister make you nervous, if you don’t mind me asking?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 03:48 PM
SAS Member

I do not know how to edit or delete posts on here. Can someone please tell me how? Disregard that last question in the above post. I got the members mixed up. How embarrassing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page